Search Unity

EULA changes and us?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesPro, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesPro

JamesPro

How will the new EULA changes affect us? We are creating a MMO. The Majority of the features will be controlled Server side AND we will be using Asset Streaming using Asset Bundles so we can add in new Non-Code assets when ever needed. Will the changes put an end to our plans or should we still be safe?

2. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Although wording is still up in the air and may be clarified, it seems so far that they are only talking about server-side rendering, when they say "majority of features processed on a server."

You may want to keep this in the original thread, though:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/161689-Unity-4-New-EULA-Restrictions

You can find the same comment or thought if you just read through the thread (yea it's long but there is a lot of communication in there.)

3. npsf3000

npsf3000

From the sounds of it there is no intention from UT to limit anything like what your doing ATM. They claim to have put in the streaming clause to target Onlive-esque services.

That said, you should seek clarification from their legal/sales, and I personally suggest that one should protest the precedent set.

4. nestg

nestg

beware, this thread would be can considered a "necropost" and closed.

5. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

No it couldn't.

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I think you don't quite understand the term "Necropost". Nobody here revived an old thread.

7. nestg

nestg

this is the oficial definition but really this argument is used ever that the moderators need close any inconvenient thread for unity.

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The EULA changes won't affect you at all; the streaming section of EULA is for OnLive-like streaming (full game is "in the cloud", local client is only a "dumb" video receiver). Clarified EULA will be out real soon.

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Sorry but this is not true. We don't close a thread because it is "inconvenient". You seem to have a very distorted view of Mods/Admins here. Please stay on topic.

" Clarified EULA will be out real soon."

10. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Lol...do you ever post anything positive? Like, not about Unity even, just something positive in general?

Anyway, a "Necropost" is when a thread that died a long time ago (like months or years) gets brought back up to the top/front of the forum because someone decides to post in it. It's annoying and useless, usually because anybody who wants to discuss that topic will have already moved on. Also because it's just plain rude to steal space from newer, more relevant threads. That is a "Necropost". This thread will not be considered a "Necropost" because it was created an hour ago. It is completely relevant to the topics currently being discussed, mainly the current EULA discussion.

While it probably should have been posted in the original thread to avoid needless clutter, and therefore may be closed/moved by the Unity Forums staff at some point, you should also note that this is forum practice in general. Unity Forums staff, if and when they close/move this forums, will simply be doing their jobs in keeping a clean, relevant forum available to us. Any other forum on the internet would do the same thing; duplicate topics are not generally smiled upon. There is nothing to "be aware" of, unless it's general forum etiquette. The Unity forums are no more censored than your wonderful Shiva3D forums, or any other forums on the internet.

Please, if you're going to warn somebody next time, make the warning relevant. Thanks.

11. nestg

nestg

and what have the EULA restrictions of positive? or more exactly what have the restrictions of positive?

12. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

What does this even mean?? The EULA has nothing to do with the forums, or positiveness (how would you even restrict positiveness anyway?), it only restricts the usage of the Unity game engine. You don't seem to be a user of the Unity game engine, so I don't really know why you're here.

Also:
    Following that sentiment, it's good to hear that the clarified EULA will be out soon. Hopefully that'll solve most of the problems around here. :D

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Code_Of_Honour has a point here. Nestg, you seem to have a very negative attitude towards most everything. So please, let's not stray from the main topic here. If you have nothing to say on topic then I suggest moving forward. In fact, everything has been said and I suggest checking this thread which deals with this topic:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/161689-Unity-4-New-EULA-Restrictions

14. nestg

nestg

and how "the EULA has nothing to do with the forums" of unity users if "it only restricts the usage of the Unity game engine"? my english is very bad but this sound crazy.

and yes, i am not a unity user but this talk is interesting for me, if unity forums are private to license users please close this website section and only permit the acces with a unity license serial.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

The EULA has nothing to do with the forums. Regardless of what is in the EULA, you can still come on this forum and post about whatever. The EULA does not restrict the forums. The EULA does not affect the forums directly. There is no change to what you can and cannot do on this forum based on what is in the Unity EULA. The EULA which is being discussed only restricts the Unity game engine. The forums have their own EULA, I'm sure, but that one isn't changing. The EULA that restricts our usage of the Unity game engine is what is causing the problems. Therefore, the EULA we are discussing has nothing to do with the forums itself, but the game engine, and our ability to make/sell games with it.

The Unity forums are not private, and (AFAIK) never will be. We just all find it rather annoying when random people who do not even use our engine, who are not affected by the EULA in the slightest, then come onto a thread about the EULA and start posting negative nonsense. Feel free to post in any of the other myriads of threads that exist in this forum. However, unless you have something positive, constructive, or worthwhile to contribute to this thread about the Unity EULA(which I doubt, given your past posts, the fact that you are not a Unity user, and the fact that you probably haven't even bothered to read the EULA), really, don't post.

16. nestg

nestg

i try understand you but is hard, i never say that the Unity Eula have relation with the called "necroposts"

17. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Uh... huh. Are you sure about that?

18. nestg

nestg

totally sure, where you see the word EULA?

19. Nubz

Nubz

Try harder troll

20. nestg

nestg

well, the unityfans are dificult to talk, where you see the word EULA in this phrase?: "beware, this thread would be can considered a "necropost" and closed."

21. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

EXACTLY. This thread is about the EULA, right? And therefore, discussions inside the thread should be ABOUT THE EULA. Right? Still following me? Okay, since we can all clearly see, and you even admit, that your post had nothing to do with the EULA, your post does not belong in this thread. Posts about the EULA do. You even said yourself that your post doesn't say the word EULA in it. So if your post was not about the EULA, why is it in a thread about the EULA? We can draw one of two conclusions from this.

1 - Your post has nothing to do with the EULA, and you really shouldn't be posting in this thread and derailing it.
    -OR-
    2 - Your post was intended to say that talking about the EULA could be considered necroposting.

Either way, your claims are false, unnecessary, and rather irritating. Please stop.

22. nestg

nestg

exactly, i be clear about that the "necropost" term can be use as argument to close a "inconvenient thread" not that the EULA can be used to close a thread, the diference is very obvius, in resume i never say that EULA have relation with the used of "necroposts" arguments to close threads, the "necroposts" threads can be about anything.

23. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

This thread is about the EULA. Posts in this thread should be about the EULA. Your posts have not been about the EULA.

Therefore, please refrain from posting in this thread, unless you can contribute something of value (i.e. a post about the EULA).

Understand? Thanks :D

24. nestg

nestg

but what happens? i never say tha this thread is not about the EULA, you are crazy?

25. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Once again, nestg has successfully derailed what could have been a productive thread.

26. nestg

nestg

yes, a moderator can considerate this a "necropost" and close he, really this not worry me, this is really a problem of censure, but many unityfans not see this.

27. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Except they won't. You just think that because the moderators have been closing your pointless trolling threads.

28. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I really don't care what you said. I really don't care. We all just want you to only post about the EULA.

For example, a post like "Ooh yay, I'm excited for the new EULA! I can't wait to read through pages upon pages of legal nonsense detailing exactly what I can and cannot do with this wonderful engine called Unity, even if I don't use it myself! Because I love reading legal nonsense!."

See? That is an example of a constructive post about the EULA that could add to this thread. Your post so far have all been pointless arguments. We are not here to argue. We are here to constructively add to this thread. If you are incapable of doing so, then get out.

29. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Considering how awfully long this thread has gone on for without getting closed, I'd say your argument is invalid. You also have come up with no examples of these so-called "necropost" threads. The moderators themselves already told you that they don't call threads "necroposts" and then close them. Why you don't even consider that what the mods say might actually be true is beyond me. If(forget if, WHEN) this thread gets closed, it will be because you derailed it. No other reason.

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Closed due to completely unnecessary posts (Thread Hijacking) from user "nestg".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.