Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Ocean shader

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by bigkahuna, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm looking for a full ocean shader, similar to what is available in Quest 3D and DX Studio. I can provide additional information and examples of what has been done in other engines. This is a paid project. Please contact me privately by email so we can discuss the particulars.

Thanks!

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm not sure exactly what you're after but is the water shader set used in the island demo suitable? There are two IIRC, the main water shader then another for the "foamy" shore area. Sorry if I'm off the mark but I thought I'd mention that in case it helps. Good luck!

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm not talking about a water shader, but rather an Ocean Shader, with ocean waves and foamy crests. I've modified the Sine Wave Modifier script to animate a mesh, but that only gets me about half way to where I'd like to be.

Here's some examples:

Virtual Sailor (look at the two screens at center/bottom right):
    http://www.hangsim.com/vs/screen.php

Quest3D (check out the Ship Sim 2008 video):
    http://quest3d.com/index.php?id=209

DX Studio:
    http://www.dxstudio.com/gallery.aspx

And Ogre 3D (check out the nVidia ocean shader screens:
    http://windmek.ca/ogre_renderings

And here's the nVidia Ocean shader that most of these are based on:
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/webpages/shader_library.html#Ocean

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I took a brief look at NVIDIA shader. It looks pretty much like our water shader (in fact, ours has better reflection), just with added sine wave perturbation in the vertex shader. Should be quite easy to add... but now it's sleep time here! :)

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Well, actually what I'm after is more like the Virtual Sailor screen at the top. Both Quest 3D and DX Studio offer similar ocean shaders (sine waves from 2 directions, variable foam on wave crests, boat wakes on the ocean surface, etc.) I just didn't post screen shots of these since I'm using my Mac (and their demos only run on a PC).

@Aras - Sleep? When did you guys at Unity Tech start sleeping? Geez, sounds like things are slacking off over there! ;) (I'm just teasing of course!)

6. VIC20

VIC20

You mean Tessendorf water? That's what i'm also looking for - internet is full of manuals but i feel like i never visited school when i look at the math.

7. horsman

horsman

It can be a little much to do the tessendorf water, In fact many people spend a long time trying to get it looking right.

You'd need both a shader or script that moved the vertices and a shader that did bump mapping for the more detailed bits. You'll also need a Fast Fourier Transform library and a good working knowledge of math. My guess is that any script you wrote from C# wouldn't be fast enough to do a good job on it ( Written in C with very lightweight code is often just able to make it look good enough).

I think you are best sticking to a simpler approach or at least a shader only approach.

bittumondal likes this.
  8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Attached Files:

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Attached Files:

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

And here's my best efforts so far using a modified sine wave generator script, Pro water, and some tweaked textures. Not bad overall, but not nearly as nice as can be done in many other engines...

Attached Files:

11. TwinFox

TwinFox

I played around with the Tessendorfian ocean during the christmas holidays, and have the vertex displacement working:

The shader is only a stock Reflective/Bumped Specular with not-so-perfect textures applied. I used the Exocortex DSP for the complex 2D-FTT, and it seems to be fast enough with a 32x32 grid.

For those interested, a zipped webplayer is attached.

You'll want to run the file a few times, as the waves are randomly generated and not always very interesting. Be warned though - it sometimes crashes the browser for reasons not clear to me. Also, there is some jitter in the ocean which is not present when played in the editor - entering full screen removes it a bit. Don't get seasick :D.

Attached Files:

12. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

How did you guys script this vertex displacement for the waves?

13. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Oh, and I'm also working on creating reallistic water, but mainly playing around with shaders... :)

Attached Files:

14. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

great efforts so far – i would realy like to see more.
    what about moving this thread to the sahder lab / showcase? because here it might get a bit lost i guess.

lars

15. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... because my whole purpose for starting this thread was to (hopefully) recruit someone to create a true ocean shader (comparable to what is available in other engines). So far, I'm sorry to say, there haven't been any takers. :(

Incidentally, although the posts here might be good compared to past efforts in Unity, they pale in comparison to what is possible with Quest3D and DX Studio out of the box with no additional coding.

16. horsman

horsman

The interpreted script just isn't fast enough to get that quality of wave made without the engine supporting it, unfortunately. Perhaps with C++ plugins and pro some of it could be done.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Scripting is JIT compiled rather than interpreted and generally gets at least 50% native C++ speed--up to 70% in some cases with built-in arrays, I gather, which is what you'd use for this--so I'm not so sure about that. TwinFox's attempt was pretty decent.

--Eric

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

So what you're saying is that this can't be done in Unity, at least not without some Herculean effort?

19. horsman

horsman

I'm not sure if you know the area, but a 32 by 32 grid is not sufficient, and the algorithm's bottleneck is the Fast Fourier Transform. Even on a 4 core 2.8, doing an acceptable grid of 256 or 512 (which is about 64 times and 256 times more expensive than Twinfox's attempt, respectively) is a task with the Fast Fast Fourier Library, in assembly language. JIT code simply can't hack it, in this case constant factors are important, and the underlying implementation of basic functions.

There are plenty of other options, like a number of baked wave animations or some other wave generation technique. There's potential for doing the FFT on the graphics card, and also other techniques for oceans.

Best luck, of course! If someone got the tessendorf model working well, it would be very impressive.

20. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

22. VIC20

VIC20

That's really the best i ever saw - and the explanation does not sound that complicated.

23. horsman

horsman

Wave Particles are very limited in some ways, however. They tend not to perform well on large bodies of water, and are instead used to model the interactions between objects and water. If you only need a small body of water, wave particles will do the trick.

24. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Hmmm Wave Particles.

/me drools...

25. norby

norby

Hi TwinFox

is your script available , this is looking pretty good.

Norby

26. TwinFox

TwinFox

Well, I'm still chasing the impossible and using a FFT based approach for ocean simulation.

The water is constructed from identical planes that tile seamlessly, each tile being a 32x32 grid. A procedurally generated 32x32 pixel bump map is now used to represent the smaller waves. Much effort went into building the normal and tangent maps to get the shading correct, but it was worth it.

There is still some initialization problems with the water, so I'm once again attaching a zipped web player in case it needs to be rerun. It does run noticeably better fullscreen.

Norby:
    This script is still pretty much WIP, but I am willing to share it to those interested (including bigkahuna :)) PM me and I will send you a link. I don't want to put this in the Wiki yet, as it should IMO be reserved for finished code.

Attached Files:

27. VIC20

VIC20

here is what i did with that script so far - webplayer following in some hours

28. norby

norby

Thanks Twinfox

Wow i must say that the pictures are looking great.
    thanks for willing to share with us.

Vic20 are you using procedural foam map ?

Norby

29. norby

norby

Twinfox

i just started the web player and i must say i am really impressed.
    this is the best ocean shader made within unity for now.
    also performance is better.
    keep on the good work.

norby

30. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Twinfox - The webplayer is pretty impressive, definitely the best done with Unity so far. PM sent...

31. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

ummm I can't view it from the webplayer I get the skybox and thats it, I have an Imac Intel 2.4 procesor 3gb of ram and ATI,RadeonHD2600, don't get any error in console or any other thing out of the ordinary besides the file

Edit: I can view it by clicking on the .unity3d file, you have an html error, firefox 3.0.5

32. TwinFox

TwinFox

Norby, bigkahuna: Thanks for your kind words.

bloodtiger10: This is known behavior. Sometimes the ocean initialization fails and you only see the skybox. I have no idea why this happens, as it seems to occur randomly. Just reload the page a few times and it should work.

33. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, I ran into this once in the editor (thanks, by the way, for sharing this). Second time I tried it worked. Weird that it doesn't send up any errors. If I sort out the reason I'll be sure to let you know.

Now that I've had a chance to actually look at this (albeit a brief look) this is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

34. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

ok. :D thank you

35. VIC20

VIC20

i always get errors when the water does not show up in the editor - i'll post when i next time get one... may took a while - busy with some optimisation

36. AaronC

AaronC

Thats really nice, looks good on MBP

Well done. Will be keen to see where you take this

AC

37. VIC20

VIC20

got no errors today but the ocean was always on when i pressed play

The little demo from the screenshot above (sometimes the tiles seems not to fit, that has nothing to do with the water it's something i just made wrong in my last script today.

http://www.hessburg.com/unity/U-Boot0815_Test.zip

38. AaronC

AaronC

Looking good!

Personally I'd recommend desaturating the textures by 50% as typically designers etc tend to over blow the saturation due to lcds being so high quality and vibrant. Washing out the saturation often makes things look more realistic-if thats what you're aiming for...

//2c

AaronC

39. VIC20

VIC20

i just received a message from someone with a mac book pro getting only 3fps with this demo. I get 55-70 on a 4 core. Anone else with such extremely bad fps?

40. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

It appears that I'm getting less than 10 fps (could be about 3-5 fps) on my first gen Intel iMac Core Duo.

41. AaronC

AaronC

2.16ghtz 1st gen MBP 256mb vram 2gigRam
    =10-15fps on highest quality and resolution

HTH
    AC

42. norby

norby

46 FPS 1920 x 1200 (Fantastic)
    2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-core intel Xeon

Norby

43. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... I should add that I ran it in windowed mode, 1024x768 resolution, Fantastic quality setting.

44. jashan

jashan

Wow - this is looking pretty good and useful. Framerate was also okay on my Mac Pro (4-core) but I'd have to see what it's like when there's more in the scene ;-)

45. Quietus2

Quietus2

I'm getting around 30fps average on a 2008 MacBook Pro.

I noticed I could at times see what appeared to be seams and lod-type popping when looking off to the right of the boat.

46. VIC20

VIC20

that's just an unfinished primitive script that causes that, a kind of frustum culling to avoid useless copies of meshes which are out of view - unfortunately i forgot that while the tiles jump every 50 meters back to the boat that the boat still moves 50 meters before that happens :D so it can happen that you see some outdated unanimated tiles that come back into view.

47. TwinFox

TwinFox

After some indexing acrobatics, I managed to optimize the ocean script up to the point where I get 50 fps in webplayer, and 150 fps in standalone on my 2.2 GHz MBP. It would be nice to know what kind of speeds other people get on their hardware.

There is now a simple LOD implemented, which allows the ocean to extend all the way to the horizon. Each tile is drawn separately, so there is an increase in draw calls. This is, however, something which can be quite easily optimized.

I'm afraid this is as far as my skills go. The ocean is still missing is a good shader (the one used is not really up to par), and object reflection/refraction (cubemap approach cannot be used because of the large topography). Realizing these would require fairly good knowledge on shader writing, which I unfortunately do not possess. Hopefully someone in the community would be willing to contribute.

The zip file includes the webplayer, as well as an unitypackage containing the ocean script and all necessary resources. Note that the initialization bugs are still there, so restart the player if necessary.

Attached Files:

48. norby

norby

Wow Twinfox

it's amazing what you have created,
    it's looking fantastic.you are my hero

Norby

49. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@TwinFox - looks like you've got the mesh animation wired, but you're right, it needs a better shader. I am getting some minor error warnings when I create a new project with your package:

Attached Files:

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Even with that shader, it still looks pretty darn nice!

--Eric