Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stackout - a game for GPI's retro Unity Contest

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Demigiant, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello,

Fabian Smith (concept and graphics, Acumen on the forums), Luigi di Guida (music and sfx), and I (Daniele Giardini - concept and coding) just released the free version of Stackout, a game made for GPI's retro Unity Contest.

The contest was about making a game inspired by a retro classic, and we chose Breakout. Fabian added a lot of verve with the circus-retro style he created, Luigi created a suprisingly relaxed and original score, and we implemented an original and somehow "different" gameplay.

Here is a video of the contest release.

Here is the official web page.
    Play Stackout on Kongregate.

Now we're relaxing a while, and then back to work, to implement a lot more stuff and then think about different ways to release it.

Here you can see all the finalists (meaning all the teams that managed to complete their game in time ;))

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. J_P_

J_P_

Really slick looking :)

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks :) Fabian made an awesome job on those looks, if I can say so :)

4. NomadKing

NomadKing

I've been playing around with Stackout since you gave me access to the super-secret-beta, and I have to say that I love the game! It both looks and sounds great (I'm especially jealous of the clean but sexy UI). I did have a little trouble at first getting used to judging where the ball was with the slightly odd perspective of the board, but as I played it more things got easier. Losing track of the ball on some of the levels with big 'stacks' was a little annoying, but I guess that's just one of the challenging parts of the gameplay - it was never enough to discourage me from having another try! :)

My one criticism (and it's a small one) is the way the launch direction works when firing the ball. If I remember correctly (and I might not be...) in games like Breakout, moving the paddle while firing the ball gave momentum in the direction you where moving (e.g. moving left while firing shoots the ball to the left), but in Stackout it's the other way around. This felt a little counter-intuitive to me, especially considering that once the ball is in motion the behaviour changes back to left for left again. But it's a minor thing, and probably me being picky ;) (It's often a good sign when someone has to get picky to find a flaw in your work)

Having looked at the other entries on the contest page, I don't see anything that looks or feels as polishes as Stackout - and I'd be shocked if you didn't win!

5. DexRobinson

DexRobinson

What a great twist on breakout, I really like the buildings collapsing and the off angle camera position really well thought out.

6. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks DexRobinson :) The skewed perspective was tested a lot before we really decided to implement it, but in the end we like it a lot!

And thanks Phil! I'm glad you never felt discouraged :) We tried to make it relatively difficult, to keep the retro feeling (damn, those retro games gave me nightmares when I was a kid!). And you "kind of" remember correctly the launch system of Breakout, but we wanted to implement something different. Though we'll definitely think about it and ponder it more, because I see your point.

7. laber

laber

I was kindly selected as a pre-beta-tester and love the style and gameplay! Can´t wait to see what you guys make out if this beyond the contest. :)

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

Soon! Soon! Also thanks to the tons of feedback you gave us! :) And we are very honored that we have your first post on Unity forums :)

9. Acumen

Acumen

Guuuys, this is awesome news for us.
    We actually did WIN this contest :D
    We are so happy and proud and excited we managed to do this :)
    The voting revelation was sooo tense, I did never push the refresh button that hard in my life :D

At the moment Daniele is working extrahard on getting a webbuild up to kongregate and gamejolt which we hope to have ready until the end of this very week.
    The next step will be to take all the feedback and our own ideas into consideration for some of the more commercial releases :)

WhaggaHappyPeopleParty - yaaaaaay :D

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

A refined version of Stackout (bug-free, with new levels, and a little easier) is now on Kongregate. You can play it here :)

11. Acumen

Acumen

I'd like to add that the play numbers are pretty disappointing, close to devastating even.
    We made like 25 cents so far, haha :D

12. stuatk

stuatk

Really nice game,

I was just wondering... with the disappointing play numbers on Kong - have you thought about exporting a flash version of the game? Then uploading that to Kong and other portals.
    It would be great to get a comparison on how the play numbers compared, and of course would the flash export even work! I've been very tempted to buy the flash exporter but I'm not convinced anyone has had any success with it... the forums seem dead surrounding the subject...

good luck with it all.

13. Demigiant

Demigiant

That would indeed be an interesting comparison stuatk, if Unity Flash exporter was decent enough - which sadly it isn't. It doesn't support Reflection (weirdly, since Flash itself uses quite a lot of Reflection) and possibly a lot of other stuff, so we honestly have no intention to spend money on it until it becomes a little better :p

Our new target is mobile and tablets, and thanks for the good luck ;)