Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydra Mobile - Leaderboards, Achievements, Match-Making, Friends more for Unity3d!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dragonfist111, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

$Hydra Studio 2013.png

INTRODUCING HYDRA MOBILE

Player Stats, Achievements, Push Notifications, Leaderboards Match-Making for your Unity3d Android iOS Games!

Here at Agora Games, we've been working on an online service platform called Hydra. This platform is used to power in-game and web-based features, such as player stats, leaderboards achievements for lots of popular titles (Guitar Hero series, Saints Row 3, Mortal Kombat, etc). We have developed a mobile-focused version of our platform so that you can take advantage of all of these great features in your Android and iOS Unity3d games!

Currently Supported Features:

• Profile - Show your players their personal gameplay stats and match history.
    • Login/Authorization - Users are automatically logged in upon opening the game...no need for additional usernames and passwords (or optional facebook/twitter/etc authentication).
    • Friends - Enable your users to build a friends list to set up matches and coordinate.
    • Leaderboards - Rank your users globally and among friends.
    • Match-Making - Simple match creation and match finding tools (supporting realtime games and async games)
    • Realtime Messages - Send fast realtime game messages to everyone in a match
    • Achievements - Reward your players with awards based on game progress, and notify your users in-game notifications.
    • Message of the Day - Tool to schedule the delivery of global messages or "Message of the Day"
    • Notifications - Custom realtime notifications and native platform dependant push notifications
    • Cross-Platform - Works on both Android and iPhone!
    • Developer Dashboards - All developers have access to our dashboard with tools for viewing data, setting up features and download docs and SDKs

We are in the final stages of our closed beta, and are preparing for our public beta! If you want to participate in the final stages of the closed beta, or would like to be notified when we go to our public open beta, follow the link below and sign up!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Smartline-Games likes this.
  2. Jamesonitz

Jamesonitz

Sweet!!! I'm signing up for this now :). Great to see features like this ready-made for Unity

3. seon

seon

I'd like to know what other platforms you support? Can this work on Desktop titles (Win, OSX Linux) as well as iOS Android.

I am after a x-platform solution for friends lists for a x-platform multi-player game I have.

Cheers :)

4. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Great question! Currently, our system works 100% for the Windows and OSX platforms on Unity3d. However, we've put a heavier focus on mobile for the time being based on requests from our beta users.

We'd love for you to sign up so that we can give you early access to the developer tools. You have a very interesting use-case that we think would be a killer use of our system.

5. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

Looks good. I could use a service like this. Count me in ... so far.

6. MikeJodon

MikeJodon

Thanks for the interest ASchumacher. If you want to head over to hydra.agoragames.com, you can sign up for the beta there, or just drop me an email at mjodon@agoragames.com, and I'll add you to the list.

7. seon

seon

Ok, i've signed up. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer :)

8. Drakorian-Labs

Drakorian-Labs

What will be the cost of the service once it's out of beta? (i presume the beta is free).
    Also from the site, i can guess there's a PRO service, so what other types of service do you have?
    Other than features, the site isn't very informative (i almost never use the "contact us for more information", or "Contact sales" buttons :p, the information -maybe except prices- should be upfront, right?)
    Thanks for the info.

9. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

@Battleb - These are all great questions. I'll answer each of them separately:

1. What will be the cost of the service once it's out of beta:
    We have not yet locked down the final costs of the service, but we plan to have a level that is accessible to all developers (quite possibly a free version with some limitations). We'll know more once we come out of our beta.

2. Also from the site, i can guess there's a PRO service, so what other types of service do you have?
    Yes, there is a PRO service. This services has additional features such as tournaments, challenges and clans. Most importantly, we offer SDKs for XBOX360, PS3, Wii, Steam GFWL. This service has been in use by AAA developers for the past 5 years. You can even see it in action in Guitar Hero Games, Saints Row 3, Mortal Kombat. Hydra Mobile is building off of this service to eventually provide the same offering to all developers.

3. Other than features, the site isn't very informative
    A totally fair critique! We're working on a new site now. When we launched this site originally in stealth-mode as just a place to direct users to sign up for the beta. Now that we have our product completely up and running, we want to start talking more depth about the features that evolved out of the beta, and will represent this on the new info site.

10. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I have a question. I was referred to this thread from my "Why I think OUYA will succeed" thread.
    I would love to use this system for an OUYA game, but one thing I would like to know is if it's possible to have multiple user profiles on one machine Xbox-style (player 1 can sign in with one profile, player 2 presses a button and signs in with a different profile, and then they can play a Splitscreen match or whatever and have individual save data / achievements / etc).
    Do either Hydra Pro or Mobile support this at the moment? Thanks.

11. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

With Hydra Mobile, no, this is not currently a supported feature. This is also no support with Hydra Pro, but we are also open to doing custom development to our platform to meet a games specific needs. If this is something you're looking for, please feel free to reach out to us! We'd be happy to discuss professional services related to a feature like this.

Thanks!

**edit** - Speaking of OUYA, we're huge fans! http://blog.agoragames.com/blog/2013/01/03/why-were-excited-about-ouya/. We were even more excited when we learned that our system worked with OUYA right out of the box!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

That's OK - I was already thinking of dropping splitscreen support anyway (it complicates quite a few things in the overall game design)
    I do think I'm going to go with Hydra Mobile for my game (my other option was GameSpy, but I have no idea if that works on OUYA and I can't test it since I don't have a device myself)

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would love to have one thing to fit all so we dont have to change between IOS,droid mac and PC. Its a pain in the ass especially ifyou have multiple leaderboards. I would liketo see an easy way of setting up 30 leadeders because doing that manually in itunes connect is a pain in the ass and very clunky you have to do it painfully 1 at a time (and you cant even set up more then 25).

14. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

@PhobicGunner - Sign up if you haven't already! We'll be happy to get you into our beta testing phase.

@Aiursrage2k - Yes, cross-platform is going to be the key to this being successful for us! We believe in making this easy on the developers so you that you can spend most of your time making great games. Additionally, I think that you'll like our LB interface within our dashboard. It's pretty straight-forward, but allows you to configure your leaderboards quickly based on stats you're already tracking for your users. If you look at the picture below, I just set the LB name, description, profile stat that we're ranking and how often is expires.

15. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

OK, applied for beta, and now to play the waiting game... :D

16. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Sounds great!

17. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

18. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So... how long should I expect before I get accepted into the beta?

19. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

@PhobicGunner - We are going down the list now and will get to you very shortly. Thanks!

20. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hm... just got an email in my inbox about Hydra.
    I was sort of under the impression that after signing up I would be automatically included in the closed beta when the time came, although the email is informing me that I have to set up a conference call between my team and Agora.
    Any info about this? Is this only for Hydra Pro, or Mobile as well?

21. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

You will be added to the beta, but we like to have a great understanding of the teams that will be participating in the beta. It will help us ask the right questions, as well as ensure your needs are being met. For us, its all a part of the process of building a system thats going to work great for all developers and genres.

PM if you have further questions!

22. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hehe, well right now it's just me (truly "independant" XD).

23. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Sounds great! Glad to have you on board!

24. MikeJodon

MikeJodon

Phobic, you should receive an email soon with instructions to get the SDKs and documentation.

Anyone else want to sign up for the open beta which kicks off in mid-February? Or maybe you have a project you'd like to get into the closed beta? Email me mjodon@agoragmes.com, message me here, or hit up hydra.agoragames.com.

Phobic can tell you how nice we are :D

25. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Indeed I can :)
    Upon initial glance it seems like a really powerful SDK for social gaming (and even hardcore games). Previously I thought about going with Scoreoid, which isn't exactly the best service ever - few enough functions to count on your fingers and for example the achievements system was really limited - just a single string value you could save to the user's profile (no way to define, say, which achievements are available for the game and what criteria for getting the achievement). This led to a very simple (and very limiting) achievement system which involved a text document in my project where each line was an achievement and colon-delimited values in a specific order with no spaces allowed. A bit difficult to maintain.
    However, in Hydra, it seems I get this very handy in-browser editor which allows me to define anything I could want - achievement names, taglines and descriptions, player stat name and trigger threshold, upload an icon, and I can also edit everything at a later point. Apparently all I need to do is update player stats from my client and the servers automatically figure out if the new stat value matches any thresholds defined for related achievements, and if so sends a notification to my game client. This is just how I'd want achievements to work.
    From what I can tell, everything else looks good too - matchmaking in Unity looks super easy, as well as the friends API.
    To be honest I feel like a kid in a candy store right now :)

26. MikeJodon

MikeJodon

Hey guys. Anyone else have any questions or comment about our beta?

27. mmuller

mmuller

Just signed up, would love to add this into Asteroid 2012 on iOS and Android, especially as I have a build going out on OSX too soon. Your once size fits all will be a breath of fresh air!

28. MikeJodon

MikeJodon

Hey MMuller, email me at mjodon@agoragames.com and I'll get you signed up for the beta. Where you wanting to try to get into the closed beta, or the expanded beta that is happening in the next few weeks?

Let me know what you'd like and we'll go from there. Thanks!

29. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Hey folks!

We just released our first video in a screencast series. With this series, we plan to walk you through how to use each of the Hydra services with Unity3d. The first video is a very straight-forward review of the set up process that takes less than 7 minutes!

Next week, we'll be releasing a video that will show how to begin tracking stats on user accounts and profiles. Stay tuned! To get a chance to begin using the services now, sign up for our beta at http://hydra.agoragames.com!

30. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi Dragonfist111,

- I wonder if custom data (cloud data) saving is planned ? I do really need this option for my (growing) game.

- Also it would be usefull to be able to get the score submition and "get" date (server date) when getting a score. This would allow to make "time based games" based on the server date, for example calculate elapsed time between last submited score date eg. last played time and requested score date and so prevent any cheating. (not sure i'm clear on that :) ).

Thanks,
    David.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  31. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Hey cpasjuste,

Great questions! I'll provide some answers below. Also, please feel free to sign up for our beta at http://hydra.agoragames.com. We love to hear more about interesting use-cases to make sure we've covered as much ground as possible.

1. We do not currently allow cloud file saves. This is something that is in our pipeline however, as it is currently supported for consoles in Hydra. However, it looks as though you just need to save data to the cloud, which we DO support. You may save as much arbitrary data to a user's profile (storage for per-user game data) as you'd like (within some storage limits).

2. While we don't support you getting server date on your get calls currently, by using the profile as mentioned above, you should be able to be pretty creative and actually still meet the needs of the examples you provided.

Sign up! Once you do, PM me, and the team and I would love to hear more about your game.

Thanks!
    - Steve

32. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Further more, here is an example of a profile. As you'll notice, under "stats", you allowed to store plenty of data that is unique to your game.

{
    "id":"51151a2d44d9054184000000",
    "created_at":"2013-02-08 15:30:53",
    "data":{
    "stats":{
    "reloads":15,
    "times_played":6,
    "times_hit":5,
    "shots_fired":122,
    "orbs_destroyed":4
    "last_time_played":"11-23-2013"
    "all_time_best_score":4
    }
    },
    "account_id":"509be0ca30e6d844e5000039",
    "updated_at":"2013-02-08 15:30:53"
    }

33. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi Dragonfist111,

Well this seems to be a great service and so i submited to the beta to take a look. But for me i'll have to use an external server to get the elapsed timestamp between the last played time (last submited score) and current time (current score get).

Else i think we need to be registred to see the sdk docs ?

Thanks,
    David.

34. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Oups sorry i didnt notice the création and updated date which ils exactly what i need.
    Still waiting for beta ( cpasjuste AT gmail.com) :)

35. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So assuming I create some simple GUI for a lobby in my game, and I have a level for the players to spawn into, this service will take care of the rest? i.e letting people find that room, enter their own name and then spawn into that level with other folks who joined it?

36. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

37. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Apologies for the late reply. I've been away from my office for the past 2 weeks and was the only one from our team following this thread!

You assumption is correct @JamesArndt. You would use our Account service for user-account creation and updating, our Friends service for building friends lists, our Matchmaking service for creating rooms and joining rooms, and our Realtime service for player spawning. Clearly you would have to add your level of game logic around what your characters are, how they are spawned, etc, but if I understood your questions correctly, we'll take care of the rest.

Hope this helps! Ping me directly if you have more questions!

38. Jon-at-Kaio

Jon-at-Kaio

just discovered hydra's website from randomly googling 'multiplatform leaderboards' so took the long way round to get here... (Doh)
    anyways, I just signed up for the beta, looking forward to more info and definately looking forward to seeing more how to videos, good clear presentation so far.
    the only question I have stemming from the above video is that this evidently appears to be for the 'mobile' aspect of hydra.
    If I create a leaderboard (hopefully we find out in a soon to be released video just how incredibly easy that is) is that leaderboard truly cross platform ie would scores from mac/pc players appear in said leaderboard or would those platforms need their own leader boards.

More appropriately (I guess as scoring mechanisms may not be fair across platforms) Would profile data be accessible from one platform to another (ie ios to windows pc)??
    Also I'd be interested in knowing at what point the price plans will be getting finalized.

39. Jon-at-Kaio

Jon-at-Kaio

Hello? Is this thread still being monitored or should I repost at hydra?

40. Dragonfist111

Dragonfist111

Hi Jon at Kaio,

Essentially, you can configure your leaderboards however you like. We give you the ability to create what we call "Environments". This is just an easy way to separate data within your game. You could have one environment called "Global", and all platforms (iOS, Android, Ouya, PC, etc) would read and write data to this leaderboard. You can also create a separate environment for each individual platform so that your audience is only being ranked against users with similar devices. In other words, its your choice!

As for the leaderboard set up video, we have made a few changes to our dashboard and need to update the video to reflect this. However, you should be able to look over our documentation with your beta access (that you should now have) and follow the simple steps to getting a leaderboard going. Leaderboards are entirely configurable within the dashboard and are based on data that you're already tracking in your profile. As an example, if you're already tracking "Kills" in your player stats, from the dashboard, you configure a leaderboards based around that stat and thats it. No other code needs to be written, outside of just displaying it within your game!

Hope this helps!

41. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have seen that this asset is now owned and bought by Warner Bros Games (all the link are now replaced ) and I wonder if there is something similar in Unity 2018.1 available?

I mean if you may know another similar asset that can be bought now

Thanks very much for any possible help

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018