Search Unity

C#

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Ging3rtoby, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Ging3rtoby

Ging3rtoby

Hi everybody my name is Toby. Me and a other person have just teamed up to create a brand new game and I was hoping to learn some C# but I cant find any good websites. I have tried Walker Boys, Burg Zerg Arcade and 3Ds buzz but they don't really teach me any good C#. Thanks Toby

2. fano_linux

fano_linux

Google is your best friend always.

3. Ging3rtoby

Ging3rtoby

I have tried google but I still can't find anything

4. ahengine

ahengine

5. artzfx

artzfx

6. rogr858

rogr858

hi i am starting game development with unity
    i want to know that is there any difference between normal c# and the c# used in unity engine

7. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

No, no difference. There is, but it's like learning regular French and then reading Romance novels -- you'll need to learn the French words for "yearning" and "blushed", but its not like you need a "French for Romances" class. Unity expects people to already know C# or to learn it. The docs can then easily be read. For example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static bool Raycast(Ray ray, float maxDistance = Mathf.Infinity,
    2.   int layerMask = DefaultRaycastLayers,
    3.   QueryTriggerInteraction queryTriggerInteraction =
    4.     QueryTriggerInteraction.UseGlobal);
    Any programmer will know what "public", "static" and "bool" mean. They will know Raycast is just a made-up name. They won't know what it does until they read the description (it's a special game thing). They will know "Ray" is a made-up type and will be able to quickly find and understand the computer code making it. "Ray ray" (2 rays in a row) will make total sense to them. They will know "float" and understand how "=Mathf.Infinity" makes it optional. And so on. Without knowing normal C# it will take several days to sort-of understand it. With C#, it will take a few minutes.