Search Unity

boolean operations on meshes

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Steffen, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Steffen

Steffen

2. StarManta

StarManta

Boolean operations, while cool, are not really a core aspect of any game out there. There's a significant R&D cost associated with something like that, and if Unity users used booleans too much they could significantly hurt performance.

More to the point, there's absolutely nothing - save programming talent - keeping anyone else in the Unity community from implementing their own booleans. It's actually on my radar to develop as middleware sometime if I can figure out how to code it (it won't come free, and maybe not even cheap).

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Indeed...Blender's had boolean operations for years, upgraded a number of times, and they still do wonky things sometimes. Seems pretty non-trivial to me....

--Eric

4. Steffen

Steffen

yep but it could give us some "creative" games and it is a feature not only for games.

sure but i dont see any problem with that. it is like other features in unity.

i am working as programmer for 7 years now and for me it is very hard to implement it :-( i think it is because my math suck a little bit or it isnt trivial.

5. StarManta

StarManta

My point is that it's no less trivial for the UT guys than it is for you or someone else in the community. So why not let them focus on the things only they can do (like upgrading stability, editor extensibility, the programming languages, etc), and move this thread over to Collaboration?

6. Steffen

Steffen

Ok. I have done it by myself.

Anyone knows a good paper or example for decompose convex meshes ?

Greetings
    Steffen

7. bam93

bam93

Hi, I don't know a good paper about this, but I have the same problem and am lookng for a solution. Right now my approach is: import mesh in blender, write a blender script for doing the union and export in a mesh format read by unity. I posted my blender script here: (http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70928#70928) if it's of any use to you.

Let me know if you find a solution, please!

8. Steffen

Steffen

9. Thunderbox Dragonmaster

Thunderbox Dragonmaster

This would be really nice.

I don't know if Red Faction and Battlefield Bad Company used booleans, but maybe booleans could be used to get that destructability effect?

10. vintagetobacco

vintagetobacco

I know, this thread is an old one. Still, I am severely interested in the ConvexDecomposition script, translated to C#. I would highly appreciate it if you shared it with us, Steffen. :)

Thanks in advance!