Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jonkuze, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions, is a New Multiplayer Online Browser Action RPG Game.
    Presented by, Kuroato Media

*Latest Update, Kuroato Media is Proud to Present Sword of Destiny: RoA - (Alpha) FRv1.0 (Foundation Release)! Please visit http://swordofdestinyrpg.com to Join the Game Now!

*Check Out and Explore Sword of Destiny's "Land of Gaia" World...Visit Us at http://swordofdestinyrpg.com/, to begin Exploring Now! with our Unity Webplayer (explorer) Preview Build.

Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions
    *NO GRINDING, NO LEVELS *NO SIGNUP REQUIRED... *FREE-TO-PLAY!

We bring you a Unique Action RPG Style of Gameplay that includes PvP (Player vs Player), PvE (Player vs Enemey), and Castle Siege Wars... Players must Choose their Allegiance to either the Ruling Army of Zion Nation or the Rising Guild of Aions, and Fight for Control of the Land of Gaia.

Prologue:
    "In the Lands of Gaia the Armies of Zion Nation Ruled the People and Lands for ages... but in the Shadows a Rebellion was Brewing... and out of this "The Guild of Aions" was Born! Aions Swore by their Sword and Blood they would defeat the Armies of Zion Nation and Return the Ruling Power back to the People of Gaia..."

*Choose your Allegiance, will you Defend Zion Nation... or will you Join the Rising of Aions! The Choice is yours...

Game Objective:
    Players begin as either a Knight or Thief Class. Players must Hunt to gather Resources, such as Potions, and Skill Tonics. Gather as Many as possible before heading to the Castle Siege where the War of the Land will take place between the Aions and Zions. Knights can take additional Damage with their higher HP (Health), but are slower than Thieves. Thieves are slightly faster than Knights but come with lower HP (Health), so they can Support the Fighters by Sneaking away from the Battle Ground and Focus on Capturing the (2)Flags (in the Castle) needed to Rule the Lands of Gaia.

Stay tuned for Updates, and the Release of Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions! Playable right in your Web Browser, Powered by Unity 3D and Photon Cloud Engine.

Preview Video:

Preview Screenshots:

NPC

Fighter Class

Thief Class

Kuroato Media
    http://kuroato.com

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. unitycurious

unitycurious

might I suggest changing the name? there is already a sword of destiny on the ps2, unless you are the same designer?

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

thanks for suggestion... but i don't think i should have to worry about changing the name because this is a Web Based Free-to-play Game, two different platforms... and also the title for that game your talking about was released in 2005, and was called Swords (with an S) of Destiny.

i already purchased a domain name with swordofdestiny in it... so na... i don't think i will change it unless some big time game company comes knocking on my door with some legal BS, but i doubt it... Browser Game is nothing compared to Console Game at the moment... I doubt anyone would care... plus it's not like i am copying my game idea from that game anyway.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. KeBo

KeBo

Definitely something of interest. I'd definitely like to hear more about this.

5. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks KeBO, I will keep posting new updates to this thread for you to follow. Currently I am working heavily on the Game's World / Mapping. I may be able to show a preview video of the world soonish..

Also I am planning to release a small singpleplayer (PvE) mini-version of the game to the Flash Platform, hopefully It may be out as soon as next week. I'll keep you all posted.

= )

6. GerryS

GerryS

There is also already an MMO called Aion...

7. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes I know... But this game is not called Aions... I simply am using the names Zion Aion to define the two different guilds in the game... Aion in my game is not the same as Aion in the game called Aions... Which in that game Aions is directly used I believe to refer to the Aion Goddess or something.

No connection what so ever, or copying any ideas from this game called Aions.

8. GerryS

GerryS

It just comes across as super unprofessional. You can argue about technicalities all day, but I think it would reflect better on your project if you came up with your own name. Domain names aren't that expensive. I don't see what you hope to gain by taking names from other games. Do you hope people will mistake your game for those other games?

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Then he can just change it to Aeon instead, which would seem to make more sense anyway. Still, odds are slim that the project will see completion anyway, so it likely doesn't matter. Not everyone needs to be professional all the time anyway.

This is what I always think of when someone posts their "I'm making an MMO" thread:

So you're telling me there's a chance

Note: I'm not saying that's the OP.

But don't let the slim odd's stop you from trying. With the tools that you have at your disposal, the chances - while still slim - are better than they ever have been. Plus any time spent learning the tools is good.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  10. jonkuze

jonkuze

WOW!! Really... Dude! I DID NOT STEAL NAMES FROM OTHER GAMES... this is what I came up with on my own, and it just happens to be there is a game that was released for PS2 a CONSOLE GAME in 2005, that's 7 years old, and there are no sequels to that game... so as far as im concerned that game is irrelevant.

and NO it's Totally Unprofessional... why don't you do a little research before making bold statements... here let me help you...

List of Old and New Games Years Apart Same Exact Name, but Developed by Different Game Companies, and Totally Different Kind of Games...
    http://www.gamesradar.com/same-name-completely-different-game/

the best one on this list is FABLE, released in 2004, i'm sure we all know FABLE a highly Successful Game by MICROSOFT that actually happens to have the SAME exact name as a game called FABLE Released in 1996, now if you do the math, that is about 8 years, same number of year difference we are talking about with my game title to this old "Swords (with an S) of Destiny" Game for PS2.

You might as well say Microsoft was very unprofessional for calling their game FABLE because some old game 8 years old had the same name...

but yet their this Game was a HIT! So honestly you have no real argument here...

Do some research... Read Up... before talking...

11. jonkuze

jonkuze

I'm Not Making an MMORPG....

The Title clearly states Multiplayer (NOT MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER) , Action RPG...

And trust me it will get Completed...

I find it sad that im here defending myself and my game rather then engaging in discussion regarding the idea of my game, how to make it better... or what you want to see... or answering direct questions... instead I'm getting purely negative feedback that really is not even VALID Feedback because you are all very misinformed... sad...

12. jonkuze

jonkuze

On another POSITIVE NOTE*

I am looking for Game Testers... I would like to try and Form 2 Teams of 5 Players per Team to help test the Game! As there will be a Maximum of 10 Players per Game World or Realm as it will be named in the Game.

Gameplay Style and Objective is Listed above... So if you are interested in joining the (alpha/beta) Testing Team please Contact me at...

info@kuroato.com with the Subject Line: "SoD Game Tester"

All Game Testers' Full Name, Nickname whatever you want... will get Listed on the Front Page (Credits, Thank you Section) of the Game's Website.

Stay Tuned* More Updates to come...

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

To be fair, you weren't quite clear, and you did describe your project in MMO terms. Still, the odds of any project reaching completion are slim to none (hard truth). My point stands - worry about that stuff later.

14. jonkuze

jonkuze

hmmm i guess if you say so... you say "odds of any project reaching completion are slim to none" ?? LOL! it sounds like your talking about everyone on this forum...

I don't really have much to prove to you Jaimi, you'll just have to wait and see... = )

anyhow... back to Game Testers! PLEASE CONACT ME at info@kuroato.com with the Subject Line: "SoD Game Tester" if you are interested...

*THANK ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED *NOTHING POSITIVE TO THIS THREAD... really thank you... your awesome! LOL! Moving on now...

15. Kelde

Kelde

how come all forums has "those people"? seriously, workon ur game man,it looks cool and even if it doesnt make an MP online game,u still have plenty material to change it.

im making a metroidvania game,huge as S*** and im a firtstimer. going good sofar, and no mr nono's will stop me.

keep working on it,SCREW ppl whos putting sticks in ur wheels. they prob failed themselves and are bitter at ppl who shows potential.

16. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you! Really appreciate it! Please feel free to pm me your contact info so we can continue to support each other as we should be on this forum, not putting each other down...

Little do they know I already published a successful 3D First / Third Person shooter web game with an average of about 10,000 players daily! So I know what it takes to get the job done!

Rather than asking questions and getting to know me, you put me down and my game Down? without any knowledge of who I am or my experience! Lol! I can only feel sorry for them.. And move on...

Stay tuned! Updates next week! = ) it's the weekend so time to relax and take a break lol!

17. jonkuze

jonkuze

Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions - Updates!

Latest Update: Check Out and Explore Sword of Destiny's "Land of Gaia" World...
    Visit Us at http://swordofdestinyrpg.com/, to begin Exploring Now! with our Unity Webplayer Preview Build.

*the Gameplay is still in the Works... we Hope to bring you more Updates very soon! = ) In the mean time enjoy the Preview Exploration Build, Join our Community Forum to further discuss the game, share ideas, etc...

18. jonkuze

jonkuze

Check out the Preview Video (Land of Gaia):

Preview Video:

19. Thegusse

Thegusse

The preview-thingy that you have on your site looks pretty nice actually. The animations and the models are really well-made. I like the speed that you are currently walking and walking at, though I would find it more enjoyable if you could jump a bit higher.

20. KeBo

KeBo

This game is looking very impressive. Maybe we can work on a project sometime in the future. ^^

21. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

If you hadn't picked a name that was very similar to 2 other games then you wouldn't have to defend anything. That's how people are going to associate it and, honestly, you should have been prepared for it. They're not misinformed, they're calling it how they see it. Really - they're trying to warn you about possible legal pitfalls before you spend months (or worse, years) working on something and getting press only to have to change the name.

Lastly - here's the thing about the link you posted and copyright law. Copyright holders are legally bound to take action against anything or anyone who comes close to infringing. If they don't then they can potentially lose their copyright. This is why the makers of Elder Scrolls sued the maker of Scrolls. There is a gyro shop in Philadelphia named Olympic Gyro which is being forced to change its name by the Olympic Committee despite being open for 20 years. This is how the world works. Chances are the copyrights on the names of the games listed in that article had been abandoned by their owners (especially considering the span of time between most titles was at least 20 years) or the new developers either got permission to use it or bought the name outright.

22. Blasfemmy

Blasfemmy

"NO SIGNUP REQUIRED" This is a terrible idea. I suggest making it account based so that the servers can store the information and for a large amount of other reasons. What is the point of a "Role-Playing Game" that has no role playing aspect? If there were no levels, then it would kill the gameplay in the sense that everyone would be terrible at their class, and because there are no accounts, there would be no system in place to tell other players of their skill level.

23. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

I would just take some advices here and think about it. It's better than being angry or feeling hurt. Much people here knowing good enough about names, copyrights and whatever to have the right to give you an advide in that direction.

My opinion? There is maybe 20 "Sword of Destiny" 's and also 20 "Rise of Everything" 's. The advice was more a tip to make you more unique with your project.

The first thing that I do creating a new name is to google it. Best result is 0 results on a search. ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  24. jonkuze

jonkuze

Sorry, but do you even understand what your talking about... Copyrights with Games? here let me help you...

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

right in the first sentence it states clearly the following:

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game.

Your talking about Copyright.... Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

There is No Copyright Infringement going on with my Game... so thanks for your input but again more misinformation...

if you want to talk about Trademark... then ahhh that's another thing...

One can protect their Financial Interest of their Services that is provided under a particular NAME or LOGO by Registering it as a Trademark.

As far as my Game's Primary TITLE is Concerned there is NO TRADEMARK REGISTERED UNDER "SWORD OF DESTINY"

AND FOR ALL THOSE WHO SEEM TO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY GAME NAME.... DID YOU KNOW THAT THE GAME YOUR REFERING TO
    "SWORDS OF DESTINY" is not even the correct Title Name???

It's actually Tian Xing: Swords of Destiny in Japan, and Tensei: Swords of Destiny in US... and plenty of other games have used the combination of Sword and Destiny in their Title... so I don't get all the fusing...

this is why again i say MISINFORMATION... you all are saying stuff but not providing any factual information to backup what your saying...

25. jonkuze

jonkuze

What is Role Playing Game??? and what does it have to do with Saving Information???

here let me help you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3]

I have these exact elements involved in my game design, your don't need to have leveling up in a game for it to be considered an RPG Style of Game...

and if there is no levels it will kill the gameplay... are you sure about that? the growth and development aspect is what your referring to here... why can't this still be done but without the traditional way of doing it?? you can argue your case all you want... but I am not making a Traditional RPG Game...

When you call something Action RPG, that means there is a fusion of Gameplay Styles... which means anything from either side of each genre can be taken out, while keeping certain elements of each to create the particular fusion needed to serve the game's overall gameplay style.

26. jonkuze

jonkuze

The problem is do they really know enough about names, copyrights, and whatever to have the right to share or give advice??? if you read my responses you will see where they fall short... so it's hard for me to take anyone here seriously for anything they have say in regards to certain things that I already have done research on...

The only part of Game's Title that would need to be changed if at all is the word AIONS due to the Game "Aion" by NCSOFT.

I have no problem contacting NCSOFT Directly, and asking them if they see a problem with me using the name AION in my Game's Tile... If they do... then it's a simple little rearrangement letters to make it something else like Aeon or whatever that is NOT TRADEMARKED by another Game Company.

To file a case against someone for using a Trademark name is not so easy... they need to prove that I am disrupting their business revenue and or interest because Customers will confuse my Game for theirs.... Honestly I doubt players will think my game is a Sequel or another Spinoff to the AION Game because the Primary Title of my Game is "Sword of Destiny" Not AIONS or AION... but again yes i can see them MAYBE having a small issue with it...
    in that case... it will be changed... but my primary Game Name is not even registered as a Trademark by any Game Company...

and the fact that someone mentions i might have some legal issues down the line... i have no problem with you mentioning that or giving advice.. but where is your PROOF?? NONE... they didn't give me proof, their just ranting... i provided them with proof why i won't have a problem... and hell I can even Register for a Trademark for the name if I wanted too... so much for all that...

the problem here is most people are assuming im just an idiot and just create name for my game without actually doing some leg work to make sure it's OK...

Which I HAVE DONE ALREADY! My Game Title is PERFECTLY FINE... my sub title "Rise of Aions" I was aware of that... and planned to contact NCSOFT regarding it...

IM REALLY DONE WASTING MY TIME ON THIS FORUM TALKING ABOUT THINGS WITH PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE SHARING...

THANKS BUT NO THANKS... ***MOST HAVE NOT BEEN VERY HELPFUL HERE AT ALL.... THEY WERE ONLY GOOD AT GETTING ME TO WASTE MY TIME DEFENDING MY GAME ON HERE... I WOULDNT HAVE TO IF PEOPLE WOULD DO THEIR OWN DAMN RESEARCH BEFORE SPEAKING OUTLOUD...

HERE IS SOME ADVICE... IF YOUR GONA TRY TO GIVE ADVICE TO OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR PROJECTS/WORKS... PROVIDE PROOF OF WHAT YOUR SAYING... DON'T JUST SAY THING BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD IN YOUR HEAD...

27. McMayhem

McMayhem

If you didn't sound unprofessional before, you certainly do now. You've clearly done some research on this task, in which case that should be all that is necessary to calm your nerves. The reason this topic keeps being brought up is that you are lashing out with attacks (which, in the case of forums will almost always be met with a heated response). Your typing in caps, telling everyone that they don't know what they're talking about, and overall venom toward negative feedback makes you look much less like someone who is serious about game development and more like an adolescent (I understand that may come off a bit harsh, but trust me this is how it looks).

It's really too bad because what you are showing is actually really impressive. The visuals and style thus far are very clean and composed, you are clearly very talented. However, even that means nothing if you are going to meet feedback with this kind of vigorous anger. You say that no one has been helpful yet, but if you look back you'll find that there were several posts that had nothing to do with the name and were very supportive. You even said thank you to one of them.

I would suggest that you take a step back, let your nerves calm down, and come back when you have a cooler head. Nothing constructive will come of insulting the entire community.

28. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks McMayhem!

I just have a low tolerance for people who act like they know what they are talking about, but yet have no backing for what they are saying... and assume I don't know what i'm doing... that alone is an insult and attack on me and my work.

and yes i agree... i might need to curve how i respond, but that will be pretty difficult to do especially if I am getting the same negative feedback from a number of people who have no clue what they are talking about...

regarding those who have posted something *Positive! I'm sure they know I am not talking about them... and if they are following this thread they can clearly see the nonsense that i am dealing with...

rather than discussing game ideas, and or getting feedback from the game description, screenshots, video, or the preview i provided... I am here defending my game, how exhausting... = (

29. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Thegusse! = )

The Jumping may not be in the game actually, there will be a totally different Camera View and Control with the Player Models. Jumping is not really needed it's only something that is available because I put in a Temporary FPS Camera for the Preview.

We should have some more updates very soon... stay tuned! and thanks again.

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks KeBo! = ) More to come...

31. Blasfemmy

Blasfemmy

What sort of a company speaks to their audience in a manner such as this? Just that many of us in the community pointed out the various flaws in what you think is a "perfect plan", does not provoke any degree of a response to this extent. If you expect to build a company and a prospering game, good luck to you. I'm glad that you think you have a solid idea, but *you* posted in a community thread asking for advice and for commentaries on *your* idea, not any one of us. You neglect that *we* took the time to view *your* game and comment on it. We have posted problems with your game that are earnest ones. Whether it be copyright notices (that *we* will not be sued for, *you* will), or game-play elements. I'm glad that you think you are a big fish in a little pond, but get real- we are a community comprised of artists, programmers, and designers, not a simpleton forum. If you want instant gratification for your work, seek it elsewhere. You call yourself a professional developer, I call you an insult to the community.

32. McMayhem

McMayhem

I know exactly where you are coming from Kuroato. If it counts for anything, my opinion is that you are going to go very far with this game. The sound/animations/models/textures are all fantastic, and it has a very distinct feel to it all.

As I said before, I really like the concept of this game, especially the No levels bit. Is this meant to be a game where you can just go in and start the action? I'm also intrigued by this Castle Siege Mode you talked about in the first post. Are you going to have servers with a maximum amount of players or is it going to be one server? It all sounds great, and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates in the future.

Keep up the good work :)

33. jonkuze

jonkuze

Blasfemmy, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts... my point and problem with those who commented are as simple as this example...

You said... " What is the point of a "Role-Playing Game" that has no role playing aspect?"

You are telling me that my game has NO ROLE PLAYING ASPECTS... when clearly it does as I point you to the Definition of what RPG even means. So for someone to say I have no role playing aspects, and expect me to take your comments seriously.... I need to see that you actually have an understanding of what an RPG Game is in FULL... NOT just Leveling Up... your talking about one element of Role Playing Games that is Common in Most RPG Games today... you neglected to even acknowledge that my Game does Fit the Genre of RPG to some degree... how would I Not find that insulting?

So when I see people posting stuff that is not in alignment with Factual Stated Documented Information, how am I suppose to respect what your saying, or take you seriously?

It's insulting when someone is trying to give someone else an opinion about something when they clearly don't understand the definition of a game genre or what the difference is between copyright or trademark, or know that plenty of other games have used some combination of wording in their title that is either shared, or used an exact copy of a game title that wad made 8 years ago...

Did you Read how this even got all started to begin with???

look at the earliest post...

I have someone telling me that chances are I won't complete my project?? What the hell kind of feedback is that? then you have someone saying the following: "I don't see what you hope to gain by taking names from other games. Do you hope people will mistake your game for those other games?"

this guy is tellling me i'm stealing names from other games, and stating/asking if I hope for people to mistake my game for another??? how way off base are these Comments??? totally unacceptable... insulting.... comments!

then I just get a bandwagon of people tagging along like they have real point to make, but they don't because they are just stating inaccurate things... and then we get to your comment... which started out OK... but then your telling me blatantly "that i have no RPG Aspects in my Game" ???

Come on... you just joined the rest of these people who are commenting and coming from a very misinformed uneducated place... how am i suppose to take anyone of these people seriously... and how does anyone expect me to respond Lightly to any of it ???

INSULT AFTER INSULT... what am I suppose to do... just sit here and smile at you...?

34. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you McMayhem,

Yes, the idea of the game is to just go in and start the Action like you said lol! = ) I am using Photon Cloud Lobby System, Players Create their own Games, and they are setup for 5 vs 5 PvP (10 players max per game session) with No Time Limit For Now...

You will have full control of your player using the Keyboard for Movement and Mouse to Rotate Camera, the Controls and Game will Feel a lot like your playing an MMORPG but without the Point and Click Control.

we'll have kind of like the Traditional MMORPG Fighting where you need to pick a target (but manually) by going up to them, (but no auto fight) you need to start clicking away to Attack that Target... but if you need to run away you can... the combat system is real-time, no menu system or click and it auto attacks... you have full control of the fight...

The Castle Siege, is the main objective of the game.... Capture and Defend the Castle by Capturing two Flag Point in the Castle... you will know when your Team has Control because your Team starts Earning Points... but if your team dies defending the Castle... the other team takes over and starts to earn points for taking over...

the only way players can really maintain holding and defending the castle is by Killing NPCs Enemies to Pickup Drops like Healing Potions, and Skill Tonics that will allow players to execute a special attack (double damage)... So basically the More you Kill NPCs and Collect Resources the better Equipped you and your team will be to engage in PvP Combat and Castle Siege-ing...

Hope that gives you a good idea... = )

Thanks again.

35. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Interresting question Blasfemmy

By the way: You fight much for someone that think the name is ok Kuroato.

36. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Lovely characters.

37. jonkuze

jonkuze

Again, am I suppose to just sit here and smile at everyone? While these people collectively gang up on me on my thread insulting me and my work? If you would allow that then go ahead get slapped around. I didn't curse at anyone here or said anything inappropriate... I don't regret my responses... I can see how it may seem abit harsh or seem like I'm attacking others but again read all the post... No way can you expect me to come off lightly to insult after insult...

38. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Bruno! = )

39. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update: Email to NCSOFT about AION Trademark Name and Usage

On a Much lighter Note... I would like to share an email I just sent to NCSOFT in regards to usage of the word AIONS in my Game's Sub-Tile.

I thought to share this because I think maybe we can all Learn something no matter the results... My Original Plan was to Contact NCSOFT anyway before this Thread spinned off as it did regarding the Title of may Game. So I am sharing to show some action that is taking place (was going to take place anyway) before all of these comments before. So lets see what NCSOFT has to say... = )

*Some might ask... why did you not contact them before using and or announcing your Game. Answer: Simply because I understand that Filing a Law Suet or Cease and Desist Order for Trademark Violation is not all that simple and cut and dry... you have to prove with hard evidence that this other game is actually disrupting your business and could cause damages because of the usage of a Trademark Name, or a Similar Name that would confuse Customers (Gamers). My honest Opinion is that I doubt anyone would confuse my game for another game just because of the Title... The Content, Gameplay Style, and Platform are all totally Different from the Original Titles that share similar names.

So anyway... lets see what they have to say... I will share their full response as is without edits for us all to see and learn from.

40. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Wonderful characters :) You nailed the style

41. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you Alismuffin! I can't take credit for the Art... as the Models and Textures in the Game were all Purchased from Different Artists with an Anime Theme Style. I found all the right pieces to compile together to create what you see! the Design, Idea, Concept of the Game is all mine of coarse.

Thanks again, More too Come very Soon! = )

42. jonkuze

jonkuze

OK, so we got an update from NCSOFT Regarding usage of the word "AIONS" in my Game.
    Here is what they had to say....

I mentioned before to those who believed I should change the title of my game. I have already ruled out that my primary title is NOT a Trademark name to any Game Company, except for the word "AION". As Charles points out here, that as long as my Game has no other Similarities with the game "AION" then I should be fine to use it.

My Game is different because it does not have any reference or usage of the word Aion to Define a God of any sort, only used to define a Guild in the Game; I am not creating an MMORPG which AION is, which would be considered similar Service; Gameplay Style is totally different; Target Platform is Strictly the Web Browser with "AION" Platform is PC; and ofcoarse my game does not share the same theme, artwork, or graphic style as "AION"

So of coarse this is NOT the Final Word from NCSOFT's Global Corprate Office, but i'm pretty sure the response from them would probably be no different because of all points made above. But, hey I could be wrong... they could come back with something else...

So Lets see what NCSOFT Global has to say... waiting a response from them...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  43. Blasfemmy

Blasfemmy

You should contact Marvelous Entertainment, the developers of "Swords of Destiny", as well for the usage of "Sword of Destiny."

44. jonkuze

jonkuze

I can't contact them even if i wanted to because first Marvelous Ent. does not Exist anymore... they merged and became MarvelAQ or something... and their website is purely japanense... with a small English translated part with no contact info.

Swords of Destiny is not a Registered Trademark, and even if it was... as i'm showing you all above the first response from NCSOFT "as long as the game does not share similarities, there should not be a problem"

this has been my argument from the beginning... I'm not going to put too much time and energy into something where I already know my game does not even come close to comparing with these other game on all levels from gameplay, style, content, theme, service model, and platform.

Companies can only Sue another Company based on Hard Evidence that they are causing financial damages to their product (game), and or services due to similarities between the products and services.

On another note... there is something called Common Law Trademark that Grants me or anyone automatic Trademark Rights if you are the first to use name of any kind for a particular product, brand, service that is in a particular state or market.

Since my Game is not a Physical Product, rather Digital Servicing the Global Internet Browser Market ONLY! this means I actually Rights to Title of My Game Right Now.

"Aion" or "Swords of Destiny" (which really their REAL Title is Tian Xing: Swords of Destiny) are sold on two totally different platforms and markets.

Markets meaning PC / Desktop Gaming Market, and Console Gaming Market.

You see this whole Trademark, Copyright stuff is so much more complex and technical than some may think or know... and because I understand it for the most part is why I am comfortable moving forward with it...

45. welby

welby

Kudos to you for following through!

Whatever the outCome, you've gained some experience dealing with IP's and legal stuff. Better safe than sorry!
    Peoples on the forums keeping us honest!
    :p

46. jonkuze

jonkuze

of caorse... thanks welby

47. Khyrid

Khyrid

Don't sweat the name, I read everything and it looks like you're good to go with that name. NCSOFT is a South Korean company and they tend to be more relaxed and use common sense about this sort of thing. I worked over in Korea for a few years and their contracts are all flexible, they don't let "bureaucracy" run everything like here in the states.

48. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks for the feedback and insight Khyrid! = )

49. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Would be interresting what title the game would have without Marvelous Entertainment NCSoft...

50. jonkuze

jonkuze

meaning ? seems your implying i was inspired to take the name from these games... again as i stated before it's what i came up with in my own head without any influence from either of the two...