Search Unity

Uniduino - Arduino for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by edwon, Dec 27, 2012.

1. edwon

edwon

Now available on the Unity Asset Store! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/6804

// UNIDUINO - ARDUINO FOR UNITY

• Make your game an experience. Connect Arduino to Unity with Uniduino.

• Extensible. Use any electronic input or output that can connect to Arduino.

• Easy to use. Simple, Arduino-like code.

• Cross-platform. Works exactly the same on Mac and PC.

• Uniduino is a work-in progress. We're here to gauge interest. Please post your thoughts!

Uniduino 1.2 has arrived on the asset store! We've got tutorials, playmaker support, and bug fixes. First up...

NEW TUTORIALS!
    I decided to try a new format for the tutorials (text interspersed with gifs) It combines the speed of text tutorials with the visual clarity of video. I think it's pretty awesome, but let me know what you think on this thread!
    http://www.uniduino.com/tutorials/

Using a Servo
    http://www.uniduino.com/kb/servo/

Using a Potentiometer with analogRead
    http://www.uniduino.com/kb/potentiometer/

Using a Button with digitalRead
    http://www.uniduino.com/kb/button/

PLAYMAKER!

Now you can use Uniduino with Playmaker! No programming required! The custom actions are included in the asset store package. Check out the tutorial below.

Playmaker
    http://www.uniduino.com/kb/playmaker/

// ABOUT THE DEMO

The demo game for this video was made in Unity using C# and connected to Arduino with Uniduino and about a dozen lines of code to sync the in-game events with the fan and the lights. Hardware used: Arduino Uno, 1 fan, 6 lights, 2 solid state relay's (as a connector between the fan/lights and arduino), 1 ps3 controller, 1 hdtv.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. marcoantap

marcoantap

Looks great. It will help to develop a huge amount of interesting projects, thank you!

3. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Thank you, so, much....!!!

are you actually programming the aruduino from unity, or just interacting with arduino code running on the micro?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. mktwo

mktwo

Ooh, sounds nifty!

Also, that video is quite funny! :D

5. edwon

edwon

To answer your question, Uniduino allows Unity to interact with software running on the Arduino board (which we'll provide as part of the package of course) Unity then communicates with the arduino in real time over USB.

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

Oh, that is brilliant!

7. SevenBits

SevenBits

Maybe a sentence about what Arduino for the less... knowledgeable.

8. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Oho. Colour me interested.

9. afastrunner

afastrunner

Check out http://arduino.cc/

10. edwon

edwon

from arduino.cc:

"Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments."

as far as using Arduino with Unity, there are really 2 major categories of possibility

• custom controllers / input (flex sensors, temperature sensors, switches, knobs, etc...)
    • real world feedback / output (fans, lights, fog machines, motors etc...)

11. edwon

edwon

12. JoeVoxel

JoeVoxel

God bless you !
    It has been a lot of time that I was looking for such a plug in !
    Can't wait to see the progress !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GjZz2MAclM
    I'm using "Processing". It's great but it doesn't offer the graphic possibilities of Unity.

Great job.

13. dpentecost

dpentecost

Uniduino is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing how it works on a Mac - there's been a serial bug in Unity ports for a long time that makes this difficult.

Esplora - I've been working with it for a few days and have hacked an OSC sketch in Processing to send all its data - accelerometer, slider, buttons, joystick, light sensor, microphone (temp sensor in next version) - to Unity or any program that understands OSC. The Unity demo project to listen to it is on its way but you can check out the Processing sketch here:

http://domebase.s3.amazonaws.com/Esplora/ProcessingEsploraOSC2.zip

It's a first hack but it works.

Keep me posted about Uniduino.

14. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Oh, this looks interesting indeed.

15. andreimarks

andreimarks

I am breaking my vow of lurker silence to let you know that I am interested.

Edit: Very interested.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  16. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Welcome to the community

17. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Wow. This looks surprisingly awesome. WANT.

18. JaZois

JaZois

This looks awesome!

19. tatelax

tatelax

This looks really cool. Any idea when this would come out?

20. edwon

edwon

We don't have a release date yet as we posted the video just to gauge interest. We started with the question "would anyone want this besides us?" and the answer has been an overwhelming YES!

Me and Lazer (the programming genius behind Uniduino) are currently re-arranging our schedules to make this happen as soon as possible.

Of course I'll update this thread as we make progress.

- EDWONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

21. edwon

edwon

The issue with the Mac serial port was the bug that inspired this project! But even if that were fixed, we still wanted a simple, more user friendly way to connect Arduino to Unity. And we wanted it to work the same on a Mac and a PC. Hence, UNIDUINO was born!

22. virror

virror

How does the api work and what are supported on the Arduino?
    A list of supported hardware functions would be nice, like PWM, i2c, spi and stuff like that?
    Very cool project!

23. MibZ

MibZ

Ridiculously awesome, since I first read about Arduinos I've wanted to make something with them but never had a feasible project idea...now I need to make a game using this after watching the trailer.

Keep us posted! :D

24. squirr3lz

squirr3lz

+1 to interest!

Yea a list of what is supported atm would be nice

25. nRp

nRp

I'll echo everyone else's enthusiasm. This project is very worthwhile. I would happily pay a few bucks for a plugin that lets me get rid of the Processing proxy I currently use to do this type of stuff.

1 request: Please don't require Arduino to be running Firmata. It really limits the interaction.

26. e-bonneville

e-bonneville

This looks really interesting. Will be checking back!

27. trelobyte

trelobyte

Looking forward to this one !!!! looks really cool !! Serial port on mac is so buggy...

28. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I tried to use the code in the zip file but I think that I'm missing code that is supposed to be uploaded to the Esplora board. I get the picture of the board on the computer screen but nothing happens when I touch the controls on the board.

29. xandeck

xandeck

I am interested in this too :)
    Is it available already?

30. dpentecost

dpentecost

jeffmorris1956 - Try the Esplora Remote sketch for the Arduino, the one that is on the Arduino site. I'm away from my Esplora stuff at the moment (out of the country) but I will go back and see what I did when I get home.

31. dpentecost

dpentecost

jeffmorris1956 - Just looked at the Processing sketch. Here's what I put in the comments at the beginning of the sketch (you must have seen them):

To test OSC output, first load the Esplora Remote sketch on
    the Esplora, then run an OSC monitoring program such as Osculator

http://www.osculator.net/

You will see messages such as /esplora/x - the OSC
    message for the accelerometer x data

With Esplora plugged in, this sketch running in Processing, and
    Osculator running, you should see each of the Esplora control messages
    pop up on Osculator's monitoring display.

This version (2) still draws the Esplora itself in Processing.
    A future version will remove this display and optimize code.

So if you have the Esplora Remote sketch loaded, Processing should be putting out OSC. I was running it on a Mac and monitoring it with Osculator, a Mac app. YMMV as they say.

32. RJ420

RJ420

Nice can't wait for this I already have an arduino uno :)

33. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I found out that Osculator is for Apple computers. Is there similar program for Windows computers?

34. trelobyte

trelobyte

edwon give us a shout if you need any help with the beta testing ...i have 4 arduinos around ;) 2 unos, 1 mega, 1 fio...i would be more than happy to help!

35. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Looking awesome! I'm really interested in this!
    When will it be available?

36. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

This would be absolutely amazing, I've not got an Arduino but if this came out then I would immediately buy one, I've been wanting to hook up lots of analog sensors to Unity for a while now and such a plugin/tool would allow me to so very easily. There are some very interesting kits that are coming out for the Arduino recently that could revolutionise how games are played, especially in relation to the human body (which I'm very interested in), so as soon as this comes out let me know!

How much would you guys think about selling this for? Have you done any other work or plugins? Be great to hear from you!

37. edwon

edwon

Hi TSLoire,

We haven't settled on a price yet, we're going to wait until we release as the Unity team apparently advises you on a fair price when you upload your plugin.

Everyday we get closer to releasing this, can't wait to see what people do when they combine Unity and Arduino!

P.S. we're working with Playmaker to get Uniduino support working, which would make it really easy for non-programmers to use Uniduino!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  38. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

Hey Ewon,

That sounds fair enough, I'd say most things on the asset store are reasonably priced, I'm sure your plugin will be worth every penny =) I've been wanting to link biometrics up to games, so I'll be doing that, but I can see people controlling robots from their PC's and who knows what else.

So Uniduino will have Playmaker support too? Sounds like a good plan, most things do these days, either that or support for something that's like Playmaker. I hope you guys are writing a comprehensive API manual for this =P With some things out there you really have to go digging to find information about what you're using!

39. lazygunn

lazygunn

This is a great idea, colour me interested

40. nicolas78

nicolas78

I am also very interested about that.
    Looks fantastic.
    Will it work on Indie version of unity or only Pro one ?

41. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

Pssst Edwon, where did you go, I wants more information and updates =| I hope this wasn't a practical joke =(

42. edwon

edwon

Edwon is hard at work on Uniduino. We're aiming to release by the end of February! (fingers crossed)

43. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

The end of February! Ok then, I'll keep my eye out, I eagerly await news about this project =D

44. pixoloco

pixoloco

Uniduino is definitly something i'd like to play with.
    My last use of arduino was with flash, processing and sockets to make the link. Lets just say that I sincerely hope to never have to do that again.

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just a bump to make it quite clear how terribly interested i am in this

46. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

well today, is the end of february... ;)

47. lazygunn

lazygunn

For anyone unclear on what arduino is http://arduino.cc

Integration with unity would let you make your own peripherals for your games, in a fairly straightforward manner i would imagine

48. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

I'm sure Edwon is hard at work trying to meet all our expectations. It may not be finished by the end of today, but as long as it comes out within the next couple of months I'll be perfectly happy! Definitely up for Beta testing =D Update us all please soon!

49. edwon

edwon

Hey everyone! We are indeed hard at work testing Uniduino on Mac and PC. The package itself is basically finished, and we're now focusing on creating documentation and tutorials. I'm sorry to make everyone wait a little longer, but I want to be sure we release a quality product. I'm sure you'll agree!

50. TechDevTom

TechDevTom

Dunno what anyone else thinks, but I've seen loads of very good plugins and packages that do what they are meant to but have either really poor tutorials and support or no support at all. It's all very well being able to message someone on a forum, but if you're going to release a plugin or a package then make sure you have proper API documentation and demonstrations. If it takes a little while longer to release because you're making comprehensive documentation for it then I say good on ya!