Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Raccoon Finger" - First android game project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by snowconesolid, Dec 27, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE: 2 / 9 / 2013
    Game is finished and released:

Hey everyone. Just came to say that "Revolver Finger" is finally out and is available on Google Play for free over here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Snowconesolid.RevolverFinger

Anyway hope you enjoy my game!

Edit: Upside Down camera issue. Hey everyone, just a small little problem I have been dealing with and thought I solved a when I was developing this game. Sometimes, for some reason you will appear upside down in the game. I am not sure why this happens but it is very easy to fix. If this does happen to you just exit the game, I mean fully close it and just restart. Its something that happens rarely. But has no impact on the game at all. So just be sure to completely close the application and reopen it if you ever find your character is upside down. I believe this is caused when you continuously tap the screen when the game is loading the next level.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello again unity community. Im back with a new game project, this time for android.

I just posted all this on my blog so no point in re-typing it. time for some cut and paste

Yesterday I briefly mentioned my next game project "Raccoon Finger" for the android. Today I have some more info about the game and a quick look at the levels I recently created.

Storyline:
    "Raccoon Finger" is a game about a raccoon who one day receives a mysterious package. As the raccoon heads over to check whats inside, the package begins moving and falls off the floating island the raccoon lives on. while chasing it the raccoon also falls off from his island and wakes up in the world below. Players must find the package and discover whats inside.
    (Don't want to give away to much of the story line so thats just a quick version) :)

about the game:
    It will be a third person adventure game for android devices and will release for free.

Preview/game/level design:
    So far I am very proud of what I have done for this project and I must say its going to be my best looking game yet as I have greatly improved my 3d art skills since my last couple projects.

heres just a quick look at some of the levels in game.

Raccoon base: This will be the starting point of the game.

Mushroom Forest level

Floating flower island

and heres just a short video of the raccoon island base on the android remote

edit: oh yeah, also heres my main character. I posted this in the small art wip threads but it makes sense to put it in here to.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Happy new years everyone.

Made a video of my current progress and how the current build of "Raccoon Finger" runs on an android device.

more soon!

3. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks pretty good :)

4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Good progress on it man! A few things I noticed are the game is quite low poly, even for android! The trees could use some work, but besides that solid! Also the backround sound loops too often, very annoying! If you need some help or run into problems let me know!

5. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks TheRealFuzz and Khelton. I appreciate.
    Yes it is very low poly. Im really happy with the style I have accomplished with it.
    Its about as low poly as a n64 game and has that low poly style but looks better than an n64 game (well I think so at least haha).

I was trying different styles for the trees, so some look better than others. As for the background sound, Im thinking about adding a little easter egg thing where I have a goose just flying in circles above the island. If the player sees it and touches it the goose sound effects would stop.

6. snaveproductions

snaveproductions

Wow this looks pretty cool! I remember seeing your older work. some serious improvement! Maybe you can spend a bit of time on your third person controller but i love the art style you are developing!

7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

thank you snaveproductions! I also remember you a while back. Sorry I never got back to you at the time.
    I was getting a lot of bad criticism for some of my previous projects about the 3d art work and looking back at my older 3d art I have to agree it was not very good. Anyway ever since then I went through a time where I mainly focused on improving my 3d modeling skills and now I am more ready then I was before. :)

about the third person controller, I agree. It does need some fixing up.

8. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hey everyone. Got a nice new screen shot of the new area I just finished modeling. Only 1032 faces!

Balloon Landing

9. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Todays update:
    King Goose! (Something you will encounter on your adventure)

more soon!

10. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Heres something else you will encounter on your adventure.

These characters will come in different colors. The pink version (above) drives the hot air balloon.

11. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Take this as no insult but.... That thing is terrifying.

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You're improving day by day pal. I think your textures are lacking tho, they seem to be all blurred together, Try using finer edges rather than transitioning everything smoothly. Keep it up mate, I hope you get this done :)

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks guys. I know its a bit creepy looking but I like it for that reason. :)

Anyway I have finished the first part of the game just today and now its time for an update.
    First current progress:
    +First level/sequence complete.
    +started working on second part

what to do later on:
    Going to implement save feature.

About the name of the game "Raccoon Finger". I have been doing some thinking lately guys and the way the story started to unfold in my mind made me want to actually change a couple of things I was originally going to do. So anyway, I decided to rename the game for these reasons. (This isn't all that important but I want a name that fits better in the end product). The game is no longer called "Raccoon Finger".

So now the new name of this game is "Revolver Finger ".
    Hopefully, in the future when I finish the game you will enjoy story line I am coming up with.
    Note: it is the same story line that I mentioned in my first post, about a mysterious package and what not, but the events are going to be different.

Anyway last thing, I just want to confirm that you do have your own Granny in this game. I just finished modeling and texturing her and she came out pretty good if I must say so myself.

Granny will play an important role in the game. I guess she is part of the new story-line.

I think out of all my previous projects, this one will have the best characters.

Thats all for now. More soon! (Hopefully I will have some screens or a video.)

14. ShizumiNelo

ShizumiNelo

I really love the character models and level design in the game, this game looks simply amazing, gameplay looks fun and cool, can't wait.

Keep up the amazing work and happy gaming.

15. virror

virror

Looks cool, you have improved on the modeling a lot since the last game : )

16. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

thank you very much shizumiNelo and Virror I really appreciate the comments.

Not going to lie but this game project is turning out pretty weird. But in a good way. Well at least I think so. :)

anyway, not much to say but there is boss battles in the game. I just finished creating one of them.
    This is the Truth Fox.

Since this is an android game and I am using the touch screen, I bet you can guess where the Truth Fox weak point is going to be?
    ;)

Anyway more soon. I will work on putting a video together and some screen shots later on.

17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone I havent been posting to many updates other than some pictures of 3d artwork but I have been working a lot on the project itself and its coming along very nicely. So soon I will finally post some in game screenshots and a short gameplay video.

Anyway for now, what I recently have done, well just yesterday actually was created some pretty cool AI for the enemies in the game.
    Enemies will move torwards the player and make you loose some health if they hit you. I have had AI like this before in previous projects but the AI I made this time is a lot better. It actually works like AI and isnt all buggy or crazy. So there has been a big improvement I must say in terms of enemy AI with this project.

Remember that weird pink clown thing I posted a couple post ago and said there will be different colors? well heres the Dark version of the balloon character. These will be enemies that you will encounter. Usually they are in groups.

so whats the big updates in my current progress?
    +Added Enemies with AI that is actually functional
    +Added health system for player
    +Added a health system for Enemies. Each Enemy will have a different health system to, so it feels like you are actually fighting something different.

besides different health systems, enemies will also have different behaviors. I am not sure how many types of enemies I will put in, but this is a short game so there wont be many different enemies.

What am I currently doing:
    Building up one of the boss battles.

later on:
    I still need to put in a save system. Its going to be a simple save system that will only save after the end of each level. So when you load the game back up you will be at the beginning of the next level.

Anyway thats all. Like I said earlier, very soon I will post some actual footage of the game and screens.
    more soon :)

18. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey guys, I mentioned this a post or three back but I am doing some major changes to my original idea.

Originally I had the game called "Raccoon Finger" but recently decided to change it to "Revolver Finger".
    (I mentioned the title change in an earlier post, but thats not really a major point.)

What I want to talk about is the storyline. Originally this was the story line:

"Raccoon Finger" is a game about a raccoon who one day receives a mysterious package. As the raccoon heads over to check whats inside, the package begins moving and falls off the floating island the raccoon lives on. while chasing it the raccoon also falls off from his island and wakes up in the world below. Players must find the package and discover whats inside.

The idea of the game was originally to focus on a package and not discovering what is inside until the end. I wanted to build up suspense for the mysterious package.

This is no longer the case any more however. In Revolver finger you do still receive a mysterious package but it is not the most important thing and isn't the main part of the story. its just a small piece of the main storyline now. You actually will get the package at the beginning of the game.

The storyline is more complex now and hopefully the characters you meet along the way are interesting.

Also, you do not play as a raccoon throughout the entire game. Only in the beginning. I wanted to make the storyline a little more interesting and kind of more creepy/darker then kiddy. That explains the weirdness in the recent pics I have been posting. But not in a realistic style, but more of a toony style.

anyway, heres what I have done recently:

+Just finished creating the second boss battle.
    +the second part the game is finished
    +there is now a way you can actually die. Also I added in a game over screen which will let you to either go back to the main menu or load up your last save/ check point in the game.

what next
    going to start working on the 3rd part of the game.

The game is going to be short so I am not sure, but it looks like it will probably only be about 4 or 5 parts total. I will have to see, but definitely it will be my best put together game yet.

more soon :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  19. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hello everyone. Haven't been posting to many updates on this project recently but maintained a nice work flow and made lots of progress.

Progress:
    I just want to say that the game is actually near completion now. Like I said earlier its a short game. The game consists of four parts.
    I have finished working on the third part not to long ago and now I just need to work on the final part of the game which wraps up the storyline and ending. After that I need to to just go back and work on a couple more features such as a save system and the menus/ titles screen, etc. But the actual game will be finished soon. I have somewhat of a long weekend so Im going to try and see if I can finish it up during this time. Still not sure about release date though.

Anyway, I kept promising screen shots and a video trailer in my recent posts and I will have those up soon. But do not worry I guess I will just put out one screen shot for now.

so heres just one

I will have a lot more very soon actually perhaps in the upcoming hours or maybe in a day or two. But soon. Maybe sometime in the evening tomorrow? will see I don't know yet :)

20. virror

virror

Looking good so far : )

21. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you Virror.

Earlier I said that soon I will have a lot more screens so here they are! lots and lots of screen shots finally!

Just a quick note, these screen shots do not really show what the game is about. I dont want to spoil the games storyline so actually these screen shots are all from the beginning of the game.

Also on a side note, I finally got a android developers/publishing license so when the game is finished It will be available on Google Play store.

screens:

I will have more news and updates soon.

22. virror

virror

The white border around the main char looks a bit strange, also the enemy has a black border around him, is this intentional?

23. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone long time no update.

Anyway I just want to say that "Revolver Finger" is in its final stages now and I will be releasing it on the google play store Feb 9th for free.

Today I got around to making a trailer to finally show off the game running. I didnt use the greatest screen recorded so excuse the not so great video quality.

Anyway, enjoy.

yes Virror, actually those lines are intentional. Thats just the unitys toon shading on the characters. I thought it looked better on these characters instead of using diffuse or something else. But only characters have toon shading while the environment and other objects have a different texture thing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  24. virror

virror

Thats a huge goose : )
    Will try it out if it runs on my old android phone : )

25. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you virror that means a lot to me. :)

Im not sure if this post is of much use or not but just thought I would share the slideDB page since its up now.

http://www.slidedb.com/games/revolver-finger

Other updates:
    (not something very interesting) but I have made the menu screen. I think it looks nice.

(Now I will leave without actually showing the menu screen.)

26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone. I can now say that the game is 100% complete.

I finally added a very nice but simple save system in the game that saves after the completion of each part.
    Now I am just going to run it on various android devices and test it out, play through it a couple times to see if there are any small bugs I might of missed. But other than that the game is finally finished. And now I can say I made a android game haha. :)

Had lots of fun with it and learned a lot of new things.

Anyway, The game will be available this saturday (the 9th) on the google play store for free. And I am really looking forward to releasing it and hopefully some of you are as well. As this seems like one of my best projects I have done so far.

well, I guess thats about it for this project then. Next Time I update this thread it will be just to inform that I have published it on google play and will provide links.

Until then, see ya.

-Snowconesolid

27. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone. Just came to say that "Revolver Finger" is finally out and is available on Google Play for free over here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Snowconesolid.RevolverFinger

Anyway hope you enjoy my game!

Edit: Upside Down camera issue. Hey everyone, just a small little problem I have been dealing with and thought I solved a when I was developing this game. Sometimes, for some reason you will appear upside down in the game. I am not sure why this happens but it is very easy to fix. If this does happen to you just exit the game, I mean fully close it and just restart. Its something that happens rarely. But has no impact on the game at all. So just be sure to completely close the application and reopen it if you ever find your character is upside down. I believe this is caused when you continuously tap the screen when the game is loading the next level.

28. virror

virror

lol, my old phone is to crappy to be compatible with this game it seems : p

29. Order Of Will

Order Of Will

I don't normally play phone games but this is amazing fun, i love the look and feel of the game and the characters there amazing, keep up the great work.

Have a nice day/night,
    Happy gaming.