Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to teach unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by User340, Dec 25, 2012.

1. User340

User340

Hi,

I'm a pretty experienced Unity user and am interested in teaching unity online; but have no idea where to start. Should I create a website dedicated to my service? Should I use paypal for payments? Should I teach via Skype? Are there any existing websites out there that manage this kind of stuff?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

2. Socrates

Socrates

Go to the Teaching subforum and take a look at how others are doing it. That should give you an idea of what's already out there.

3dbuzz.com is a popular site from what I can tell, who sells tutorials as well as giving some away for free so that you can see if they're a good fit.

Like any business, start with research.

3. fafase

fafase

Hei Daniel,

What kind of teaching you plan on giving?

Fact is, we have a website unitygems.com started with another regular from UnityAnswer, Whydoidoit.

You could provide tutorials that we would add to the website (well you would do it yourself actually) and you would get an existing audience from the start.

Note that there is no money involved as the website does not have any advertizment. Since the creation, we have not made a single penny. Just to say that I am not trying to drag you in and make money out of you.

Lately the website has been a little quieter due to a lack of available time on my side, but new additions are always welcome.

Fafase

4. mgear

mgear

Theres Lynda.com , digitaltutors.com and other tutorial websites that have unity materials also, you could ask them also.
    Theres virtual class room services too (adobe connect)

I'd say must for website paypal.. maybe could add remote desktop support also..?

Or you could do some free "teaser" classes,
    starting to make some game prototype for example, then for the rest of the class you need to pay..
    Look for popular forum topics: mmo/network game, minecraft engine,how to: touch controls on pads etc..: )

5. Nubz

Nubz

The most annoying stupid thing I can think of is to mix free with paid

Make them pay or make it free
    Never give half of something for free just to tease someone into buying a subscription(something a few places do that I won't mention)
    Having some free stuff along with paid content is great but make the free stuff complete and save the advanced stuff for your subscribers. Never give them half of the lesson for free and then throw in the "if you want to finish or ever have this work even half way right pay me" thing.

Just my opinion and Good Luck you sincerely

6. SomeDude

SomeDude

3dmotive is another one you could look at for producing tutorials for. Most or all of these places being mentioned already have unity tutorials so if you'll probably need to cover where they left off or for intermediate instead of absolute beginner as they have those already.

As for a free sample of a few of the chapters on paid sites I do like those because you can see if you like their teaching style etc.