Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released]Terrain Slicing Neighboring Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gilley033, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gilley033

gilley033

That depends on what loading script you're using. If you're Instantiating (Indie version) the terrains or loading them from scenes or asset bundles (Pro only), then they will be destroyed when they're no longer needed.

However, there will be another version that loads all the terrains at the beginning of the game, then activates the ones in the load area and deactivates the ones that are not. In this version, as the player moves around, the terrains that are no longer needed will simply be deactivated and new terrains that are needed are moved to the correct location and activated.

I am including a built in container system that you can put all your game objects in. Basically each terrain in your world will have a corresponding container (the container is a separate game object). That way, when your terrains are destroyed, your objects will not be. Instead, the container is just deactivated/reactivated as needed. However, keep in mind that because each container can only be mapped to one terrain on the world grid, you cannot have a load area that exceeds the width or length of your world grid when using an endless world. For instance, if you have a 4 x 4 world, you cannot have a 5 x 5 load area, because that would force the same terrains to be loaded at the same time. Normally (without containers) that would be fine, but because each container can only be mapped to one terrain at a time, this is not allowed. However, note that if using a non-endless terrain, your load area doesn't matter, as the same terrain will never be loaded in multiple cells at the same time. Also not that the use of containers is optional.

Kirby, will what I described above work for you in your project, or do you need things to work differently? Basically, what I'm wondering is, if you were creating your own dynamic loading/paging system, how would you handle the terrains when they're needed/not needed. I am interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter. Perhaps there's some other system I have missed!

2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Well, thanks for your interest and for the package again.
    I bought an asset from the Unity Store, it's called "Instant OC" but it can't hide - disable the terrains since the terrains have a different collider.
    I was thinking of creating a system with the raycast i'm using for disable the terrain behind me and the terrain which is not in the FOV of the raycast, but i don't know if it will work.
    Sincerely, you are doing an awesome job with your plugin, and every update in the plugin will help me so don't worry.^ ^
    But enormous thanks for the interest.

3. gilley033

gilley033

Yeah, in the future I might also experiment with disabling/enabling terrains based on the FOV of the camera. It depends how much overhead there is when simply enabling terrains, which I should find out once I complete the script for enabling/disabling terrains I described above.

4. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all,

Version 1.31 is now available in the Unity Asset Store. If you have already purchased the kit, upgrade now for some new, nifty tools (see first page for info). If you have made changes to any of my tools, you may wish to back up those scripts before upgrading.

5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The new update is awesome, thanks and enjoy this free bump ^ ^

6. gilley033

gilley033

Something to watch out for that I just realized.

In update 1.3 I updated the slicing script so if you try to store terrain data in a folder that doesn't exist, the folder is created automatically. However, this required a change to how you input the file path (in the text box labeled "File Path To Store Data." You will no longer include 'Assets' in the path name. So if previously you were using 'Assets/TerrainSlicing/TerrainData', you would change this to '/TerrainSlicing/TerrainData'. I will be making it so this change is done for you in the next update! Sorry for the trouble!

On final thing - I was required to change the menu options for the tools. The slicing kit and other tools are no longer found under the "TerrainSlicing" menu. Instead, you can find most of the editor tools under the "Terrain" menu option. You will see a sub menu there titled "Terrain Slicing Kit". Components (Cut out Terrain, Slicer preview, draw detail map, and set neighbors) can be found under "Components/Terrain Slicing Kit." Finally, the tool to create game objects out of prefabs can be found in the menu "Assets/Terrain Slicing Kit." Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all, I have submitted another small update to the Asset Store. This update includes the following:

1) Fixed a bug when using the slicing tool where trees at the very right or top edge of a terrain would not be assigned to the correct terrain slice. This could cause an IndexOutOfRange exception in some cases.
    2) It should no longer be possible to include 'Assets' in the beginning of the file path name when specifying the file path where terrain data should be stored. An error message will be displayed when this happens and the file path will be automatically converted to the correct format.
    3) Updated the label names in the slicing tool to better reflect their purpose.

8. gilley033

gilley033

1.32 is now live. Please see the post above for more information.

9. chillersanim

chillersanim

Hello

I am verry interested in your slicing tool.
    But I have to ask you something before I buy it.

When I sliced up the terrain, can I still edit the slices so that the neighbours will also change (if I edit the border of a slice) ?

Greetings
    Chillersanim

10. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Well, first, you need to paint your terrain and then slice it, since unity doesn't allow multi editing on Terrains.
    You can edit the slice part but the texture for example don't change for the border of another terrains.
    By the way i recommend you to buy it since it have a lot of features, i'm working on a open world too and it help me a lot and the game is for android.
    It can reduce the draw calls from 70 to 45 and more, and it will have a dinamic loading system so for me is an instant buy ^w^.

EDIT: I read your question more carefully and this plugin can't do stitching at the moment, you need to do it with splatmaps so i think it will work for you since you have the same splatmap, but i don't know, i use a stitching plugin apart from this wonderful asset.

Thanks

11. chillersanim

chillersanim

Hmmm, what do you mean with Splatmap? Is this the heightmap?

My bigest problem with big maps is, that the modelling of the map with a good resolution controll texture is very slow. Because of that I want to split my terrain in pieces... For the final product I will splitt my terrain in pieces, there is no concern about. :)

I just had a idea, when the texture maps are single files for each terrain part, then it should be possible to edit them externaly. That would allow to hold the texture seamless. Or how's about a function wich updates the connecting terrains after you finished working on the terrain? When unity doesn't allow that, then do it your self. Tell me if I'm wrong... ;)

Greetings
    Chillersanim

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Look for example at my project:
    $shot_130422_111904.png
    I didn't blend my textures because i will do it manually or not because in the first person character you didn't notice about it.

BTW the control resolution is 2048 x 2048 in mobile device and it works good :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  13. chillersanim

chillersanim

How big is that scene?

Correct me if I am wrong:
    First I have to make the full terrain with terrain and all, AFTER that I can splitt it up.
    Editing the terrain after splitting it up is possible, but shouldn't be done at the edges of the terrain because not supportet.

So its not usefull if you want to use it to increase developement speed?

Greetings
    Chillersanim

14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The scene is enough for walking for 20 minutes to go across one terrain to another.
    Yeah, you need to make first the terrain and then split it, but if you have the same splatmap you can blend it :D.

For me it's an awesome improvement of the performance and for this price is a good option :).

BTW: With this you can make caves and tunnels with the terrain deleting two pieces and putting a mesh on the space :)

If you want to stitch them you need to buy another plugin until the maker add it , but i don't know if he have plannings on add it.

He will update the asset with dinamyc loading so is a good add for me :)
    I'm not affiliated with the maker of this plugin or something trust me xD

15. gilley033

gilley033

Hello chillersanim,

You are correct, it is not possible (or at least not advisable) to edit the edges of your terrain slices after you split up your base terrain. It might be possible to create a tool that allows you to edit multiple terrains at once so the edges remain "connected," but you'll have to look elsewhere for that type of tool. I don't foresee creating such a tool myself in the future. However, the chances are good that in the future I will add a sort of stitching tool, as I have created much of the logic that would be needed for such a tool for a separate tool. Chances are that that tool would need to alter your terrain in order to work, so it won't be as good as simply using the Unity terrain brushes to modify a single terrain and then slicing that terrain.

I am not positive if you would even get better performance (while editing) by slicing your large terrain into smaller pieces, so this kit might not be for you.

I believe there are some external terrain editing tools that might be suited for your needs. I haven't used any myself, but I know you can import the terrains you create into Unity. Once imported, you could use the slicing kit to slice the terrain into smaller pieces. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

And thank you Kitty for providing help!

Edit: Actually, I shouldn't say I won't create a multi-terrain editing tool. If I could get a hold of Unity's code for how it does terrain editing, it might then be possible to implement something. Can anyone point me to where I can find the terrain editing code? Thanks.

16. chillersanim

chillersanim

I hope you understood my concern with the default unity terrain. To create a big scene, I need to have also a high resolution controlltexture which slows down my pc.
    Is there a possibility to turn the resolution up after I already paintet the terrain (without loosing the painting). Because if that would be possible, I could paint a low res terrain, make it high res, split it and after that I could create the details.

Greetings
    Chillersanim

17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I have a big resolution control, it's 2048 and it didn't slow my PC.

18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

No problem ^ ^ I like to help

19. gilley033

gilley033

I do understand your concern. I am not sure if what you want to do is possible. It might be. You can research upscaling/downscaling image resolutions if you're interested. A lot of image manipulation techniques apply to the Unity terrains since the terrains are built from resolution maps.

If I do find some way to do multi-terrain editing then the slicing kit would be great for what you want to do, because you can make prefab out of the slices. So you could take a big terrain, split it up into 16 or more slices, and then make prefabs out of them all. Then you can just remove all but 4 of the terrains from the scene and do some editing on them, then load 4 more terrains, and so on. You could still follow that path now, but of course you'd have to be really careful not to edit the edges of the slices, which would be a bit of a pain probably.

At this time, it sounds like the kit won't fit your needs. Again I'll suggest looking at some external terrain editing tools if you haven't already. Just google "External terrain editing software Unity3d" or something like that. Good luck!

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

But it's not your fault sir, it's the computer of chilleranims, mine have 2048 x 2048 textures with a heightmap of 2049 and it works flawless.

21. gilley033

gilley033

Yes, different people will have different experiences with the terrain. He might have a worse computer, or he might just be using a larger terrain. Either way, it really doesn't matter. I know his issue isn't my fault, and I'm sure he doesn't think it is. He was curious if the kit would help him with the problem he is facing, and it looks like it won't. I encourage anyone who is unsure about whether they want to purchase the kit to ask questions. I don't want anyone spending money for something that won't work for them!

There's one other thing you could try if you haven't already chilleranims. Under the settings panel in the inspector for the terrain there's a pixel error setting. If you increase that it might cause the editor to lag less when your editing your terrain, and you can always go back and lower it again after your done editing your terrain. It's worth a try.

22. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Oh yes forgot it, it can be use for model better because when you paint is when the terrain show up all the polygons/faces.

23. chillersanim

chillersanim

Excuse my late reply.

Well thank you verry much for the great support with informations. I will try about this pixel error.
    I don't have a worse computer, but a map about 8x8km with a texture resolution of 4096x4096.

I thank you again and I am sorry for not being able to use your tool at the moment.
    Perhaps I will use it later, but I will follow this discussion. ;)

Greetings
    Chillersanim

24. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Even if you haven't a worse computer it can kill your performance instant hahaha, good luck in your project :)

25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Bump this!

26. gilley033

gilley033

Hello everyone,

I have submitted another small update that will fix a possible IndexOutOfRange exemption when using the SetNeighbors script. This update will also improve the SetNeighbors script so it can be used on terrain groups with empty locations. This is only possible when the terrain group follows the naming conventions 'name_row_column' where name is a common name shared by all of your terrains in the terrain group. If your terrain group does not follow this convention, you can still use the SetNeighbors script, but you cannot have empty locations. There's checkbox indicating whether you have empty locations.

In addition, if anyone is seeing what looks like gaps between the edges of your terrain slices, please zoom in closer to your terrain and see if the gaps disappear. If they do, then the problem will not appear in game when using the SetNeighbors script, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. Please feel free to test this yourself to make sure it is the case!

27. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all, the update described in the post above is now live. Anyone needing the fix for the null reference exception or anyone interested in the slight improvement to the SetNeighbors script should update!

28. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all,

I am looking for some testers for the dynamic loading scripts. Anyone can test the prefab loading script, but in order to test the scene loading script you will need Unity Pro, so please let me know what version of Unity you are using so I can get the right scripts to you!

There are no real benefits to testing, except you will get the dynamic loading scripts a bit earlier than everyone else. Initially, I am going to open this up to only people who have already purchased the kit, but depending on how many testers I get, I may open it up to everyone.

Please send me your invoice number so I can verify you have purchased the kit (via the forum messaging system).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Oh, the last version you send to me works perfectly :)

30. gilley033

gilley033

Hello again,

I have submitted a new update (1.4) to the asset store; hopefully it will be approved and updated to the store this or next week. Here are the release notes for the update:

1) Added Tileable Terrain Maker Tool - Use it to stitch/blend heightmaps and alphamaps of neighboring terrains, or to make a single (or group of terrains) tileable in order to create an endless terrain system.

2) Fixed bug in edge blending tool, and also improved it to allow for wider blending regions. This tool is redundant now, as the tileable terrain maker tool can achieve the same results.

3) Added option to slicing tool to allow for wider blending width when blending edges (same option as tileable terrain maker has).

4) Altered a lot of code in various scripts in order to remove duplication and promote better coding practices. For instance, all labels are now kept in a single file.

5) Offloaded some methods/functions in existing scripts to new utility scripts found in /TerrainSlicing/OtherScripts/HelperScripts/Editor/TerrainSlicingKit.dll. Feel free to get the raw scripts from this dll (but don't try to pass them off as your own!).

6) Updated the instruction guides and added a new one with some information on various scripts.

The tileable terrain maker tool will be crucial to making endless terrain for use with my dynamic loading scripts, though it can also be used to stitch neighboring terrains together. The same blending algorithm used to stitch the heightmaps is also used to stitch the alphamaps, which helps produce truly seamless transitions from one terrain to another. Here is a picture of the tool (it's a component, so this is the inspector):

$tileableTerrainMaker.png

Speaking of which, I am going on vacation for 10 days and won't be back until June 11. Once I get back, I am going to press hard to finish the dynamic loading scripts. My plan is have them on the store by the end of June. Unfortunately I have been unable to reel in many testers, so the scripts might be somewhat buggy. I will of course try and thoroughly test everything myself, and I do have one or two testers helping out, but chances are something will be missed. Any problems will be quickly sorted out, however.

Feel free to post any questions. I should be able to respond while on vacation on my downtime.

Thanks!

31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks for this, sorry man if i can't test your plugin since the email, i will try to get more time :)

32. gilley033

gilley033

That's okay, you've done more than enough.

Thanks!

33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Bump this fantastic asset. Hope you can get more testers.

34. gilley033

gilley033

1.4 is now available! I will try to address any questions or concerns as quickly as possible, but it may be a day or two before I can get back to you.

35. TroelsOvergaard

TroelsOvergaard

Hello Everybody

I am new with the Terrain Slicing Neighboring Kit and I have a problem I hope that somebody can help me with. When I use The Kit to slice up my terrain and press the create terrain key the progress bar don't go away and I need to restart Unity? Have anybody else encountered the same problem and how did you overcome it?

Thanks in advance

36. gilley033

gilley033

Hmm, no one has notified me of that problem before, so either it's a very unique problem or it's something that was introduced in the most recent update. Just to verify, the error occurs when you are using the slicing tool? Or is it with one of the other tools?

The easiest and fastest way for me to solve this problem will unfortunately take a little work on your part. These directions are geared towards Windows. Hopefully you can figure out the Mac way of doing these steps if using a Mac.

1) Create a copy of the project that the error is occuring in. To do this, simply navigate to the folder where all of your projects are stored. Each project should have a folder. Copy this folder and then paste it, either in the same folder as all of your other projects, or in a different folder. If necessary, rename the project folder to something different than the original.

2) Open Unity while holding the alt key (I think), this should bring up a window allowing you to select the project you want to open Unity with. You may need to double click Unity and then hold down the alt key.

3) Select the open other (or whatever it's called), and navigate to where you saved your copy. Select the folder and then open (or similar command -- I'm not at home so I can't verify the names of the buttons; sorry!).

4) Delete everything except the terrairn slicing kit tools and the terrain that's giving you the error when you try and slice it. If you have any trees, plants, or textures, DO NOT delete those assets, or else Unity will crash when I try to open your project.

5) zip your project up and send it to me via these forums, or to my email.

Hopefully those steps are accurate. They're off the top of my head so something might not be quite right. I'll be coming back home tomorrow so I should be able to get the issue solved quikcly.

Thanks! If you have any questions you can post here, or if you prefer, you can email me at the email I provided above.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  37. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all,

Two things:

1) I've submitted a small update addressing the error Troels was facing.

2) When using the stitching/tileable terrain maker tool, keep in mind when using the tool on a group of terrains, they must have the same properties. This means the size of each terrain must match along the edges and be the same resolution. Also, in order to match the alpha maps, each terrain must have the same textures on it, and the textures must be listed in the same order for every terrain. If this is not the case, you should still be able to match the height maps, just make sure the "automatically tile alphamap(s)" check box is unchecked.

38. gilley033

gilley033

The update described in the previous post is now available in the Asset Store. You only really need to update if you're experiencing the specific issue addressed by the update.

39. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all! I am hard at work at finishing the dynamic loading scripts, but unfortunately it won't be done for another two weeks(at least). The reason it is taking so long is because I am really working hard to design everything around good OOP practices, in order to reduce the number of problems that arise in the future, and also to reduce the impact any future changes/fixes have on you guys (the users). More importantly, I am trying to ensure the system I'm building is as easy to customize as possible, as there's just no way to predict how the system will be used by each user, and what requirements you might have for your own particular project. It's very important to me to allow for a certain amount of expansion.

The result of all this is I am learning a lot of new concepts/best practices as I go (I have limited OOP exerience before this), and certain systems have been redesigned several times. Things are starting to settle down, however, and I really am nearing completion. Just hang in there!

One final thing:

My system started off as a terrain dynamic loading system, but I figured out pretty quickly there really is no reason to confine the system to just terrains. For the past few days, I've been adjusted a few things so the system will work on the X-axis, Y-axis plane (in addition to the x-z axis plane terrains work on). This means you could use the dynamic loading system for a 2d side scrolling game, or virtually any other game you can think of (I think). I haven't tested any of this, but I'm hopeful someone can find a use for this feature!

40. gilley033

gilley033

So, it looks like I won't be finishing by the end of the month like I hoped. Unfortunately, I've had some family stuff come up that's taken some time out of this project. Nothing serious, but it has delayed things. I've also been working on a event manager system in order to take care of some communication issues between scripts. This will be used for this project, but it is very robust and can be used throughout your game as well. I'm hoping to be done before the end of August, but you never know. Obviously I am no good at predicting these sort of things :). As I mentioned before, if anyone is waiting on this, they can email me and as long as you've already purchase the kit, I will send you a test version.

Thanks for your time.

-Kyle

41. gilley033

gilley033

We're getting close!

I've finally finished the revamped code, and after some testing and bug squashing, everything seems stable. I am very happy with the current system, and feels it fits nicely with Unity's component based model. There is still some work to do before uploading to the Asset Store, and there will be future work after uploading as well (some features like Asset Bundle loading will not be initially available - it will not take long to complete, but I don't want it to delay the initial release for non-essential features). I should be able to submit sometime next week if all goes as planned.

To anyone who reads this, I have a request. I want to do some performance testing, but lack the requisite terrain to properly do a good job, and I don't have the time to create something. So please, if anyone has some unsliced or already sliced worlds that are complex (multiple trees, buildings, textures, etc.) and possibly large (really, anything that is performance intensive), I would greatly appreciate if you would send me a package with the world. Please test the package first to make sure it works in a different project. This is for personal testing and your world will not be included in the released Asset Store package, and I won't be sharing it anywhere else!

Also, if anyone who has already purchased the slicing kit wants to get the dynamic loading kit early and do some testing, just email me or PM me on these boards!

Thanks for your time,

Kyle Gillen

42. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Kyle, since i'm doing a new project http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/20...ment)-FPS-Survival-game?p=1391602#post1391602 and i'm using terrains i think i can test it with online too.

Thanks in advance.

PD: I have bryce 7 pro so if you want i can create you some terrains heightmaps.

43. gilley033

gilley033

44. gilley033

gilley033

I managed to finish the dynamic loading kit the other day and submitted it to the Asset Store! I tested it myself but it may be a bit buggy since I wasn't able to scrounge up many testers. Have no doubt though, I will fix any issues ASAP. If you email me with an issue, once I solve it I will post an update to the Asset Store, and email you the updated package so you can get the fix immediately.

I'm out of town until Thursday, but that should be before the asset store people approve and upload the package to the store. I changed the name of the kit from "Terrain Slicing Neighboring Kit" to "Terrain Slicing Dynamic Loading Kit," since the dynamic loading is a much bigger part of the kit then the neighboring. I don't think that will present a problem in the approval process, but who knows. The logo is virtually the same.

Here are some of the features (there are more tthat I'm forgetting I'm sure, this is from memory!):

1) Load any type of GameObject dynamically, not just Unity Terrains.

2) Load your objects on either the x/z axis (the axis Unity Terrains are on) or the x/y axis. This means you can use the dynamic loading kit with 2D side scrolling type games!

3) A component based approach. Changing the implementation details of the system is as easy as changing out one or two components. For example, if you want to add behaviour that resets your world when the player crosses a specific boundary, you can do so by adding the appropriate component. If you want to change from creating your objects via Prefab Instantiation to loading them via scenes and the AsyncLoadLevelAdditively (Pro Only!) method, you merely have to switch the appropriate component (well, technically you'll need to set up some stuff beforehand, but that's a different matter).

4) Source code included. While most of the files are contained in two dlls (one for run time classes and one for editor stuff), this is merely to keep the number of script files as low as possible. The kit comes with a package containing all the original files. Most customization will center on extending specific abstract classes, so you shouldn't need to worry about the source files if you don't want to.

5) Component based approach means additional functionality can be easily added in the future. I already have some ideas on some stuff I personally want to add, and it will be very simple to do so. You can also add your own functionality.

Like I said, there's certainly more features I'm missing. When I get back Thursday I am going to start writing up guides and instructions for a couple different things. I will also post some new videos showcasing different aspects of the kit. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

p.s. I increased the price by quite a bit. Obviously that doesn't effect those who've already purchased the kit.

45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Of course, sorry i didn't notice this post.

46. gilley033

gilley033

It's okay, don't worry about it now though. The kit is now available on the Asset Store, so anyone that previously purchased it, go ahead and download the update!

Just a note: If you experience crashing after importing the new package from the Asset Store, and you are using 4.2.x, make sure you are updated the latest 4.2 version. If, after updating, you are still crashing, or if you experience crashing and your are not using 4.2.x, then please email me or post here and I will provide assistance!

47. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Hey.
    Got your tool and it works as intended except for transferring the detail meshes. Whenever I tick the detail mesh checkbox Unity crashes with an "out of memory" error. I have only about 20 detail meshes in the scene.
    $Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 9.10.52.png

48. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

49. gilley033

gilley033

Hey Game_Ready, that is strange. I will run some test and try to figure out what's going on. If you want you can try to zip up a project with the terrain that is causing issues. Just duplicate the project folder and delete everything not related to the terrain. So keep the terrainData, textures, plants, trees, etc.

Then zip up the project and send it to my email, which you can find on the following page:
    http://deepspacelabs.net/contact.html

I had some issues with spam, so I try not to post the email address on these forums anymore.

50. gilley033

gilley033

I haven't reproduced the error, but I think I know what's going on. I made sure the dynamic loading tools were optimized to avoid the Unity Editor memory limitations, but unfortunately I overlooked the slicing tool. I will rectify this on Sunday when I get home. Once the update is ready I will submit it the Asset Store, but if anyone wants it sooner just email me with your invoice number and I'll be happy to provide the update to you.