Search Unity

Which is easier! 3D or 2D?!

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Spade, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Spade

Spade

Hi, me and my group are currently taking in the ideas around the table in what our first project on Unity will be. We all do not have any experience with Unity and we are quite interested in taking up arms and attempting to defeat our desires by making a new piece of history!
    Of course, we'd love to hear every bit of information based on the whole thing about 3d and 2d! Whats the Pros and Cons between both? Please help our little weak butts out and feed us some information, thank you for reading and taking the time to answer!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It depends on whatever is easier to complete all the visuals + animations for. This is highly dependent on the game. It is also logical.

Skills required for 3D
    modelling, rigging, animation, uv mapping, texturing

Skills required for 2D
    art and animation, and tonnes of it

On the surface, it looks like 2D is less work. But that all depends on if the 2D game requires a serious amount of animation, and this means drawing every frame of everything. It can get ugly fast vs 3D where you do more work up front (modelling, rigging, uv, texturing) however - animation can be authored a lot faster.

What if the 3D world doesn't need many animations and can use a lot of prefabs? prefabs in 3D can be used much more than 2D prefabs. You can rotate and scale them, to create entirely new visuals. In 2D, you're stuck with scale and rotation, and that can also look bad.

But of course if its a 2D game you will also need to get some decent 2D middleware like 2DToolkit or ex2D or whatever otherwise it's a ton more coding you need to do.

Ultimately you need to decide what your capabilities are and what the game needs. Strike a compromise.

3. Spade

Spade

I see I see, thank you very very much for answering! From what you say I feel 3D is where I want my idea to go into, my group is new as said before so we are all considering the ideas and where we want them to go in the long run. But you made me make up my mind so thank you. ^^

Any tips or tricks to getting started on a game? I'd love to know how others get started and how they plan, expecially in a group how does one set who does what? (Except based on their skills)... Let's say we all have No skills! lol -Mostly true...-