Search Unity

Mini Tank Battles

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gobla, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Gobla

Gobla

Mini Tank Battles is a Tower Defence game.

Mini Tank Battles can now be found on Indiegogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mini-tank-battles/x/2378322 . Please show your support if you can!

Mini Tank Battles can also be found on Steam Greenlight Concepts: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123763587 . Please show your support if you can!

You can play the game and view the website Here

Mini Tank Battles is a comic styled multiplayer oriented 3rd person shooter/ tower defense crossover. The current state of the game is an early alpha. Please watch the video to see some shots from the game.

The main gameplay is a fast paced 3rd person shooter with tower defense to support you in the battlefield. With 4 game modes and 4 classes to choose from. By leveling up, spending skillpoints and getting better gear you are able to overcome bigger challenges

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Game looks good but the terrain could use some work! And the default Unity textures are sort of ugly, make draw some or get some hand painted textures. But game is good!

3. Gobla

Gobla

Thank you!
    I'm considering if I (or someone else) should hand-draw the textures for a more cartoon-like effect. Also the current models are all stand in models for the final versions. When the programming of the game is almost done, all the graphics will be taken care of.

Edit: One thing i've forgotten to mention. The goals is to also bring a stripped down version of the final to android and iOs.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. carmine

carmine

Hey, Just checked it out. Fun idea! What are you using for the networking? I've made 2 multiplayer games now, and the problem is no one else being there.... It would be nice if there was some AI or something I could shoot.

Also, it would be cool if the projectiles had some gravity, so I would have to learn how to arc them properly. Maybe 2 kinds of shots... anyway. Fun idea! keep it up!

5. Gobla

Gobla

Thanks for looking it up. Also there is AI. You have to hit F5 once ingame to make the waves of enemies coming.
    Also see the controls. The network implementation is that of a custom version of the basic unity network. I've programmed a custom version of an authorative server.

I'm considering using the projectile gravity, however it is already pretty hard top shoot when in action.

I'm looking forward if you have tried out with the waves.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  6. Gobla

Gobla

Due to some reactions I've gotten (on this site and some other media) I've done the following:
    - Disabled the old "cheat" key that gave you 1000 funds.
    - Fixed the enemies from sometimes seeing the target (you, a friend or a turret) way to late.
    - Updated the lobby so that it provides more info now about the game.
    - Automatic timer of 30 seconds before the waves start. You can still bypass this by hitting F5, this will instantly make the game start.
    - Made the flame-thrower less powerful, it however still has some collision bugs.
    - (Test team only) "Logged in" servers drop items and can be picked up by the players. These items are being stored in their inventories. Sometimes however the checksum if the item has been truly dropped gives a false negative. Cash is not yet stored.
    - (Test team only) Limited the number of turrets that can be build.
    - First start of levelling mechanism has been made.
    - Fixed a bug where the available servers would disappear and reappear every few seconds.

Game on!

7. Gobla

Gobla

- Fixed the turret placing collision and visibility bug.
    - Improved the network protocol as well as play stats.
    - Camera now moves forward if vision gets hindered.
    - Units and buildings now have a health bar if you aim at them.
    - Auto disabled build menu and inventory when your tank gets destroyed.
    - Prober braking when in the build menu and inventory.

There was a small downtime during the update and I've seen in the log that 3 persons where playing the game then. Sorry about that :(.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. Gobla

Gobla

- Fixed another network protocol bug.
    - All models now have lightened toon shaders.
    - Added some prefab rocks (which will be replaced for the final version).
    - Turrets have way more health and do more damage.
    - Your basic weapon (cannon) does more damage now.

This should make the game way more playable. If anyone knows how to fix toon shaders on trees (all with nice leaf borders), please let me now. Those leaves cost me way to long to fix!

Do excuse me for using the unity connection testing server (and it's downtime). The rest of the master server is hosted privately.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. Gobla

Gobla

This update (18th December) has improvements mostly aimed at gameplay:

- Fixed forgotten lighting on enemy tanks.
    - Fixed the bug of the creation of invincible enemies when the shooter (turret) has been destroyed.
    - Fixed the double playername in playerlist during gameplay.
    - Normal cannon on your tank shoots faster and a slightly bigger radius.
    - Better hitboxes on every tank. Riding of a cliff shouldn't get you stuck now.
    - Every player is now healed to max when a wave is completed.
    - Every destroyed player will respawn when winning a wave.
    - Added a better info message before the actual game starts.
    - Added a secondary starting place for enemies. Enemies now come from two sides.
    - Added protection turrets to enemy staring points to prevent "basecamping".
    - Killed enemies now give you a little bit more funds.
    - Overheadcam now has a black background to make map edges less distracting.

10. Gobla

Gobla

- Enemy tanks now align to terrain (that was a hard one).
    - Enemies no longer move after HQ is destroyed.
    - Respawn message to prevent confusion.
    - Prevented double playername on client connections.
    - Added lightweight rigidbody network interpretors for smoother gameplay.
    - Did first sketch for the HQ model.
    - Another network connection fix that should re-allow NATPunchtrough.
    - Removed a collider from the camera.

I was wondering. The game is being played throughout the day, but so far most players stop after ~ 3 mins of playing. To complete a full round (all waves) you take about 15-20 minutes. So (if you have played the game) what made you stop after about ~ 3 minutes? Thanks in advance!

11. freakdave

freakdave

Too many enemies in the first round and just being able to build 2 small turrets in the beginning made my game session a pretty tough one.
    But that's just my 2 cents...

12. Gobla

Gobla

Thanks for the feedback. Any reason is a reason to consider. And I agree. I'll make thefirst waves a, lot easier and give you more funds for the first round.

13. Gobla

Gobla

Major update - Item drops (Singleplayer)

- Added collectable items (weapons and health only for now).
    - Weapons wil randomly drop.
    - Healthpacks will randomly drop (250 hp).
    - Collected items disappear after your game ends.
    - Added more funds to start the game with.
    - Delayed spawning time for the enemies. Waves should now come slower.
    - Only have the main cannon as start. Others can be picked up later.
    - Hand drew some textures to replace unity's standard.
    - Fixed some inclusive exclusive Random.Range issues.
    - Improvements on the Inventory.
    - Stats of weapons can be viewed in the Inventory.

The current version however contains multiplayer bugs with the weapon drop system. So I suggest you only try singleplayer now.
    Fixing these bugs will be later since it is 3 in the morning here now.
    Also this is my first attempt ever at hand drawn textures (however the grass isn't mine). Any feedback or tips are welcome.

Please do try (in singpleplayer) the new features!

Game on!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. Gobla

Gobla

- Inventory now properly working in multiplayer.
    - Inventory now shows color according to enhancement.
    - Scroll now works for inventory.
    - Enemies and turrets can now look trough collectable items.
    - Added specific enhancements for each type of weapon.
    - Added armor to the inventory which will reduce damage.
    - If armor has a healthbonus, you will also receive the health bonus.
    - HQ will be fully healed between rounds.
    - Alive turrets will be fully healed between rounds.
    - Mouseover for items in the inventory now works in the webplayer.
    - Increased the turret health.

Do notice that the inventory is still not stored between rounds. This will be when I allow registrations.

Some info on the item chances:
    - Every enemy has 15% chance of dropping an item,
    - Every item has (now) 33% chance of becoming health, a weapon, or armor.
    - Every armor has 25% of having 1 enhancement and 6.25% chance of having two. Items with one enhancement has a red title and the ones with two have a blue title.

Happy holidays!

Edit:
    Just noticed 2 things:
    - The drop chance of an enhanced item is 50%, not 25%.
    - Boss mob is not showing (as supposed to in wave 4). Instead a HUGE wave 4 5 is there. This will be fixed later.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  15. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

It's a fun game! I have a few suggestions and observations. Could you also implement an ability to flip the up/down axis of the mouse, would be great for flight sim gamers :)

Another thing I've noticed, is that during a death, the AI tends to cluster around me and not hunt for the HQ. They also inexplicably explode when doing that (seems to happen when I'm equipped with flamethrowers). The enemy towers are EVIL btw, death in seconds :p My own towers don't appear to do anything when placed besides enemy towers.

Also, I don't think the cannonballs use gravity? Will be interested to be able to lob shells over obstacles.

Inventory for weapons/armour is a bit annoying as it is possible for many items of the exact same name but different power up levels cluttering up my screen. Would suggest if similar items to not have their own slot, and individual unique items have their own names.

Towards the end of the game I found that I could funnel the enemy into a line by turret placements, with me at the end of that line with flamethrowers. The red tanks also appear to give a fair bit of £££; at the last wave I was making enough money I just stayed in the build mode and kept constructing the dual cannon turrets. :D

Keep at it! I'd love to do something like that some day!

16. Gobla

Gobla

I really appreciate the feedback. I am Currently at work and will respond in depth tip you comment later tonight. Thanks for the feedback!

17. Gobla

Gobla

Well the up and down axis. Ad soon as I build an options or settings menu, I'll enable that option. The tanks that swarm around the place you died are (how labelled them) seeker tanks. These will go after the player(s) instead of the hq. Perhaps they should go after another player if you die, or go for the HQ (perhaps until you respawn).

The exploding tanks around the place where you die is due to a bug of the flame thrower weapon. Damage of the enemies is still applied after you died. The cannonballs so far have no gravity. I'm not sure if they will get it. I'm going to experiment with it and see how it turns out.

I agree in the inventory, but don't really know what suggestion you would have for the fix you have in mind. Could you perhaps draw it in a screenshot or make a scribble picture?

The last part of the level so far is not well balanced. Limits, upgrades and repairs of the turrets should make it more tactical. The end bosses and more kind of enemies with their own abilities should also make tactics more important. Also the class, skillpoints and experience of the player tanks and turrets should add to that.

But thank you very much for your detailed feedback. Any more feedback is extremely welcome!

*Excuse me of any strange spelling, words and typos since I'm posting this from my mobile phone with auto complete.

18. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

Hello!
    Thanks for the explanations, it's quite interesting to find out the mechanics behind the game :)

I think my best suggestion for the inventory would be to have fewer items; if I remember I had many cannons, teslas and flamethrowers, but many appeared to be highly similar or the same. Also if you pick up items you already have, just discard it? Also, how about colour coding the more powerful power ups? The diablo style naming is cool, but it is quite difficult to figure out which ones boost which stats in the heat of battle. Colour coding could help greatly.

Hope to see your end level boss soon! The last wave was frankly very long and got quite boring and a big boss fight could make a lot of difference :)

All the best!

19. unitycurious

unitycurious

random suggestion from random guy, drop the world of tanks wannabe thing, make the tanks move really fast, and voila, you have a 'vehicular combat game''
    a very underused genre.

20. Gobla

Gobla

@gallenwolf. I think I'll try the following: There are going to be less item drops, and even lesser specials. All the common items will stack. Also discarding is only an option if you don't want to sell it later in your "out"-game item menu.

@unitycurious. I've never played world of tanks. In what way is it like world of tanks? And then in specific, what part do you think shouldn't be in the game? You mentioned something about the speed. Well the current speed will be the slowest for the tank. Later upgrades trough stat points or items can boost your speed.

21. Gobla

Gobla

The following updates have not been uploaded yet to the webplayer, but are worthy to post.

- Added driving audio to the tanks.
    - Reduced the amount of drops.
    - Boss enemy will now spawn.
    - Boss enemy will explode (with instant HQ destruction) if it reaches the HQ.
    - Bugfix on tanks going airborn.
    - Made a toggle button (T) to flip mouselook Y-axis.
    - Online storing of items (and funds) almost completed for logged in players. In order to store the funds the player must finish the map (either loose or win).
    - Random bonus funds can now also drop.
    - Limited the number of turrets you can build. Instead the increasing difficulty should be managed with (ingame) upgrading and repairing of the turrets.
    - Added flame tank Tesla tank (however still very buggy).

Again. The following updates have not been uploaded to the webplayer yet. This post is for feedback purpose so far on the upcoming features and idea's (mainly around the storing of items).

So a preview of the boss tank. Yes I know I'm terrible at modelling, but hey it's a place-holder for something later.

22. Gobla

Gobla

Another big update:
    - Added Tesla/Volt Tank Flamethrower Tank as regular mobs.
    - Added TankCarrier as Boss.
    --- Boss is very slow and has lots of hitpoints, however it will selfdestruct near your base which means near imminent game over. So you must destroy it before it hits your HQ.
    - Added first test with some UVW textures on the basic tank body.
    - Smoke will appear if any unit has less then 40% health.
    - Gave the players more health.
    - Shortened the waves and added more variation.
    - Drops are less frequent.
    - Automatic shooting should stop if you died.
    --- Special drops are even less frequent.
    - Driving audio is now available for all units.
    - Added the (T) button to toggle mouse-Y inversion.
    - Made the login screen a bit less boring.

What not has been done:
    - Features that require login are not yet available for the game (storing funds, inventory, turret limit).
    - Multiplayer has some particle effects that are out of sync. IE: Smoke on server will clear after a few seconds, where on the clients it will clear right away after a kill.
    - Staying in the build menu will postpone the enemies from spawning if a wave hasn't started yet.

Game on!

23. Cheburek

Cheburek

Im working on multiplayer tank game myself, looking forward to following your game to see how that turns out.

24. Gobla

Gobla

Nice! Got a thread going on about your game? Can't find it if I search on your user.

25. Cheburek

Cheburek

not yet, I am trying to get alpha finished before I post it so I have something substantial to show.

26. Gobla

Gobla

A little screenshot of the placeholder enemies that you can encounter (without the boss).
    From left to right: Flame Cannon, Dual Cannon, Single Cannon, Volt Cannon

And below the current boss:

27. Gobla

Gobla

28. Gobla

Gobla

Added a video that sits trough the first level of the game (alpha). The audio is a bit strange due to conversion.

29. Gobla

Gobla

This update hold the option to register yourself on the website. The registration can be found here: http://www.minitankbattles.com/register.php. There are some differences for registered players and non-registered players. The most important ones are:

• Your inventory is stored. The storing of your inventory allows you to use weapons and armor you find in one round into another round. This can give you an early advantage.
    • You will only play with other registered players. This way non-registered players will not take away that rare blue item right in front of your tank.
    • Your account will hold information about your played rounds. This information will later on become the base of the leaderboard.
    • Weapons you find now can help you in the PVP gameplay later on.
    • Players that register now may have some future benefits. How that is going to be is yet to be determined.

So what has been done, and what hasn’t been done regarding registration:
    What has been done:

• You can register yourself for free on http://www.minitankbattles.com/register.php .
    • After you validated yourself you can login ingame with your username and password.
    • Once logged in, you only play with logged in players. However loggin in is still not mandatory.
    • Ingame you can access your inventory with all your items in it that you have found earlier.
    • Items you find ingame will be added to your inventory.

What hasn’t been done:

• The menu that allows you to view and discard your inventory items while not ingame is not yet completed.
    • “Forgot Password” feature is not yet available on the website.

There are a lot of other updates, but these I consider the most important for now:

• Smoke effects now properly disappear when you are dead.
    • Other players and enemies do no longer collide with you if you are dead.
    • You can now look around if you are dead.
    • Rewritten the server connection system.
    • Server messages like: “Player X has died.” will now be shown in the chat.
    • Added a remember username feature in the main screen.
    • Item drop chance has been slightly upped. Drop chance is now 12.5%.
    • Tesla cannons now have a shock animation if you don’t have an enemy nearby.
    • Tesla cannons no longer keep shooting if you hold your mouse down while you died.
    • Tesla cannon lights no longer keep active if you don’ shoot anymore.
    • Fire from flamethrowers are now rendered in worldspace. This means a more realistic fire behavior.
    • Mobs are stronger now.
    • Enemy movement speeds have somewhat been adjusted to match the type of weapon.

Some known bugs:

• Some enemies like to cluster around the place you died.
    • Enemy flamethrowers sometimes don't stop shooting once they started.
    • Enemies still ignore towers when navigating.

If you have any trouble with the registration, feel free to leave a message.
    Game on!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  30. Gobla

Gobla

If you like the idea of the game, please do register at:http://minitankbattles.com/register.php . Regarding some questions I had about registration:
    • The passwords are stored encrypted with a salt thus making it rainbow table safe. This also means that if your password is lost, you must wait for the lost password function to be enabled so you can get a new one. Old passwords can not be retrieved.
    • I will never share your account data or e-mail to anybody without your consent.
    • If this game is mature enough to hit steam greenlight some day and it may be possible to merge the account data in steam (or any other platform), it will be optional and only with your consent.

New Features:

• Tesla Towers added as buildable towers.
    • More information on Network Connectivity is shown in the lobby menu.
    • Self-destruction Enemies have been added.
    • Re-enabled the endgame music.
    • Preparations for PVP have been made. Next update should hold the first PVP FFA arena.
    • Double cannon is added to the droppable item list.
    The Self-destruction Tank:
    You better make sure these tanks don't get near your base. If they do, better destroy them before they decide to do an even larger explosion and much more damage!

Tesla Tower:
    This short range tower is excellent to handle multiple enemies at the same time. It's shooting range is short but the damage is imminent. They are generally not very resilient against enemy fire.

Modifications:

• Modified Tesla cannon look for players, enemies and turrets. A small animation is also added.
    • Enemy Tesla cannons begin to spark if the player or turret is almost in range to shoot at.
    • Flame cannon is now named Flamethrower.
    • Slightly modified appearance of Single Dual Cannon.
    • Building is automatically cancelled if you close the build menu.
    • Return to lobby menu now enabled when a round ends.
    • Login made more convenient with "enter" listener. Some browsers also autofocus to the login fields.

The modified look of the Tesla cannon:
    The Tesla cannon holds a small continuous rotation animation.

Fixes:
    • Boss will now properly self-destruct at the HQ.
    • The boss will less likely get in error with the terrain.
    • Enemies now stop shooting when their target is suddenly "gone".
    • Removed the "rocking" effect when you stand still.
    • You can no longer build on players or enemy tanks.
    • Fixed an issue where trying to buy a turret always made it look like turrets cost 200 funds.
    • Fixed an issue where you were unable to get out of the inventory in rare cases.
    • Fixed an issue where the errorlog gets spammed with a missing camera on the build view.

The next update will be aimed at: Character creation (for the future class system), Flamethrower tower, PVP, and new level. Some of these things are partly done, others need to be build from scratch.

Feel free to ask questions, do suggestions or report bugs. Your feedback is welcome!
    Game on!

31. Gobla

Gobla

PVP arena - HALL laboratories
    HALL laboratories is the first PVP arena level. The rules are quite simple: the first player to kill 10 other players is the winner. There is no option to build turrets in this mode, that is reserved for the (in development) PVP versus mode. However if you are logged in, you still can use all your inventory items to kill the other players. The PVP arena level is a night level. If in the future it seems that the level may be too dark, it will be made lighter.

Spawners
    You can find spawners around the level. These spawners can spawn health, armor and weapons when you are not logged in. If you are logged in, you must use your previously collected armor and weapons since all the spawners only spawn health. In the picture below you can find a a spawner to the right. Spawners have a 20 second delay once logged in and a 10 second delay when not logged in. The delay timer starts when a spawner item is picked up.

Anti grief
    Players that leave during a PVP match will be registered. It is always possible that you have to leave during a match due to unforeseen situations. However if a player tends to keep on leaving during matches there possibly will be consequences in the future. At the moment this is only being registered, and there are no actions regarding leaving. If you are the last player to leave before the match has ended, no registration will be made.

Damage
    A damage modifier is active in PVP. This means that all damage is doubled. This balance was needed to provide more smooth gameplay.

Self-destruct
    Self destruction is not available in PVP arena. If you manage to get flipped upside down, you must wait until you are killed.</p>

COOP - The Valley
    The Coop level is now named "The Valley". This level had some updates. The first one being a graphic update. Some props and buildings have been added to give a better feeling to the level. Another thing is that there are now separate spawnpoints for the players. This will prevent players from getting stuck on each other in multiplayer.

Fixes New Features
    Of course there are new fixes and features in the game. There are many but I will only show a selection here:
    • Camera and turret will now properly snap when going into game mode (at the round start).
    • Client side Tesla effects are normally cleaned after shooting.
    • Multiple player spawn points for all maps.
    • Map selection on server lobby.
    • Disconnect button is available in the lobby for both the server and the client.
    • The server list now shows the current selected level and game mode.
    • There are no more huge weapons inside the collectible items on the clientside.
    • Enemy boss has more health and does more damage.

Known bugs
    • You can start a PVP arena level with no other players.
    • Some Enemies still cluster around the place you died.
    • It is possible to flip upside down.
    • Sometimes Enemies ignore some collisions with you and then will keep on driving.

Feel free to ask questions, do suggestions or report bugs. Your feedback is welcome!
    Game on!

32. Gobla

Gobla

Character Creation
    From now on will registered players have the option to create characters. This character will form the basis of the leveling system. For now you can only choose the tank class, but in the future this will hold 4 classes. It may seem like not much, but it holds a lot of code to even get it this far (wile remaining safe and hopefully bug free). You can select the character you want to play with in the lobby screen. Once you joined a server, your character is set with your selected gear. There is a 5 character limit enforced by the database. Any created character after #5 will disappear after logout. Proper feedback will be done in the next release.

Leveling system
    Do note that this below shows the plans for the leveling system and is not yet in the game:
    Your character can get experience points and level up in the future. Leveling up will allow you to do harder challenges as well as meeting your new gear requirements. Another thing about the leveling is that you get either stats or abilities (is being sorted out). It is also that your character will hold funds. With these funds you can reset your abilities, or buy specific character bound items. Your funds, level, experience points, stat points and abilities will not shared with other characters. However your main inventory is being shared among other characters as long as an item is not character bound.

Item Management
    Item management is now enabled. This allows you to discard the items you don't need. In the future discarding will be replaced for selling once the currency/funds system is sorted out. This way you can keep your inventory nice and clean. It is also possible to pre-equip gear once you are logged in. This way you can start right away with your favorite gear. Do note that equipping gear during gameplay will at the moment have no effect on your pre-equipped gear. This is due to a contest this game has been entered for. If this option would be enabled, the judges would no longer be able to collect gear (with the version of the game they have). This option will be enabled in the near future when the contest is over. Do note that deleting an item goes without any notification at the moment.

Twitter
    You can now find updated about the game on twitter. Here will the full updates be announced as well as notices for hotfixes. Of course other news noteworthy will be published there as well.
    The twitter account is: @minitankbattles

Small fixes and features

• Camera collision is fixed. The camera now properly collides with all objects with collides which prevents the camera to get stuck in a building.
    • Flamethrower audio has been added.
    • Instead of assisted tank steering, I've added a rotation boost. If you don't move forward or backward, you rotate 50% faster compared to previous builds. If you go 50% of the top speed you rotate 25% faster and when going top seed, you don't rotate faster then in previous builds.
    • The sound engineer is back so more and more audio will be added.
    • Fixed a bug where the game is permanently paused after pressing "Return to Lobby".
    • A hotfix has been done that prevents double or more enemies spawning when in multiplayer.
    • Since Unity3d now supports a linux build, will there also be a native linux build. Thoughts are going out for the ouya game console but it is uncertain if it will come to a product. A big factor in this is the cost of getting a full (non student) Unity3d license.

Bug reports and feature requests

If anyone finds a bug, please report it to me in any way possible. Also if you have a feature request, please send the feature is as much detail as possible. The bugreports and feature request are highly appreciated. Do try to read the "Development roadmap" on http://www.indiedb.com/games/mini-tank-battles if the feature/bug is already on the list. Thanks in advance!

Game on!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  33. Gobla

Gobla

I've just added a Steam Greenlight Concepts. I don't think the game is mature enough for the normal greenlight. If you think otherwise, please let me know why. Also if you feel good about the game, please show your support there and help spreading the game.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  34. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

It looks very cool, When i am at my pc later tonight i will register for a account and try it out.

35. Gobla

Gobla

Thank you! Do note you don't have to register to play, it just gives some advantages / changes. Also stay tuned for the next PvP versus (Team versus Team) update of next Sunday.

36. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

The game is very addicted. Until now i reached wave 3 but very eager to complete all waves. The building mode makes it extra exciting and gives a lot of strategic tactics to try out.
    Love the cartoon style animations also.

Keep up the good work and going to follow the progress.

37. Gobla

Gobla

Sneak Preview op PvP versus (or TvT):

38. Gobla

Gobla

The Team Versus Team is completed in the basic mechanics. Due to the switch to Unity4, I’ve had some compatibility problems that cost me some time to fix. So instead of fully releasing this update (and thus news), I’m providing a snapshot update. This snapshot update is meant to give a taste of what the full release of the first Team Versus Team map is going to look like. There are quite some bugs and features that have not yet been handled, but the game is playable. If you want to try this snapshot, I would suggest playing with at least 4 players minimal. The snapshot can be found here: http://minitankbattles.com/snapshot.php

Here is a list of a selection of things that have been added in this update:

Team Versus Team map has been added:
    • Both teams have a base and have to destroy the other base.
    • You can buy turrets to protect your base
    • You can buy mobs to attack the other base
    • You gain funds over time

Holding shift will make you go faster, but it is harder to steer.
    Enemies now properly avoid players and turrets.

The full update will probably come tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Have fun!

39. Gobla

Gobla

The team versus team update is now released and completed in the non-statistic form. Since a good test requires at least 2vs2 to 4vs4 I probably haven't fixed all the bugs yet. Also could this mode use some nice features like a warning if your base is under attack. So I highly encourage to test this in team versus team modus and report any bug you may find or you think there is a feature missing.

Team versus Team

Now in detail about the team versus team functions. Both teams have a base to defend in this symmetrical map. It is your job to destroy the other base before they destroy yours. You have several ways of doing that. You can defend your base by placing turrets or defend it yourself (and your team). You could also create a wave of opponents to act like a defense. The ways of attacking are by yourself, by sending a mob of tanks, or even better: both. The map is The map has several routes and is filled with powerups. These powerups allow you to get gear and health if you are not logged in, and allow you to get health if you are logged in. Do note that enemy mobs still drop collectible drops! You will get funds over time, by killing mobs and other players and by destroying enemy turrets. The balance could use some tweaking, but I would like your opinion on it. You can spawn every mob there is in the game right now including the boss. You can recognize your team members by either a red or a blue flag.

Features of TVT
    Here is a summary of the features of TVT in the current state:

• New map
    • 2 bases
    • 2 teams
    • Teams from 2v2 to 4v4 players
    • One team wins by destroying the other base
    • Powerups trough level
    • You can build turrets to defend your base (build men)
    • You can build mobs to attack the other base (build menu)

Fixes and features
    There a quite a lot of other fixes that has been done. Most of them are for compatibility with Unity4. But these are at least noteworthy:
    • Rewritten damage detector.
    • mproved enemy navigation and collision.
    • Using shift now allows you to overdrive your tank. This makes your tank go faster, but a lot harder to steer.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  40. Areheill

Areheill

Realy nice game man ! Keep it up i will try it later , question how many people you got in team ? Or you are alone ?

41. Gobla

Gobla

Thanks! Well at the moment it is just me + the sound engineer. The sound engineer provides the sound, and I'm doing the rest now. There is also a modeller available, but he will come in once the game hits beta for it's features. I also get input and idea's from friends where some of these will hit the game.

42. Gobla

Gobla

Upgrades menu

The upgrades menu now holds the option to upgrade the players, turrets and mods. You can upgrade each item up to 5 times. The upgrades are stacked. As an example, the first upgrade of player health will give you 115% health. The second upgrade will give you 132% health. The third will give you 152% health. You can find a list below. All upgrades applied are shared among the team. So if you want to play tactical, you let one person safe up for upgrades, let other build defece, and another person will build mobs as an example.

All upgrades now cost 1000 funds. It is advised to not buy these upgrades right in the beginning of COOP mode. However they can give you a great tactical advantage.

All upgrades are applied right after buying them. All your team's affected units will receive the upgrade right away including the health boost. However if a unit is damaged to 75% health, it will stay at 75% health at the new hitpoint range. All new build units will also have the provided upgrade.

Below is a list of all the upgrades by level:

• Player Damage: 115% / 132% / 152% / 175% / 201%
    • Player Health: 115% / 132% / 152% / 175% / 201%
    • Turret Damage: 120% / 144% / 173% / 207% / 249%
    • Turret Health: 120% / 144% / 173% / 207% / 249%
    • Turret Range: 115% / 132% / 152% / 175% / 201%
    • Mob Damage: 125% / 156% / 195% / 244% / 305%
    • Mob Health: 125% / 156% / 195% / 244% / 305%
    • Mob Range: 115% / 132% / 152% / 175% / 201%

Important Fixes
    • A versioning system has been added. This means that downloads are now available. You will be notified if a new download is uploaded.
    • Tanks are more stable and less likely to tipple over.
    • Graphical fixes have been made, however not all graphical glitches have been fixed.
    • An error when getting out of the round and starting a new one was fixes.
    • Fixes of a persistent turret after leaving turret build mode.
    • Fixed a glitchy turret upon placing if two players place the same type of turret at the same time.

Downloads
    Downloads are now available. The Alpha/Development versions can be downloaded here:

43. Gobla

Gobla

This update is focussed at various things. One of these is the much requested repair for Turrets features. Player versus Player updates for balance and playability have been released as well. Two maps got updates with props and the Turrets are partially restyled. All cannon type weapons now have shooting animations as well. As a bonus, a small radar is added as well as an ingame menu.

Turret repair

It is now possible to repair your turrets whenever you want. In the turret build menu there is a "Repair Turret" button. Here you get a wrench. With this wrench you can click on the turret you want to repair. If you can repair this turret the wrench will rotate. You pay 50% of the funds of the original turret to restore 10% health per second over 10 seconds.

Ingame Menu

The ingame menu now holds the control options and graphic options. The graphic options allow you to tweak to graphics for almost any computer. The control options give you two reversibility options. The first one gives you the option to invert the camera Y-axis. The second option gives you the option to reverse the steering when moving backwards.

Props and Turret style upgrade

Some maps have props scattered around to give the map more filling. The turrets also have renewed models and textures.

Cannon update

The cannons have been upgraded in style as well as animation. When firing the cannons there is a small recoil of the front barrel as well as a flame out of the nozzle. This effect gives a more lively feeling in the game.

Other updates

• A minimap radar is now available.
    • Huge improvement in overhead when tesla cannons fire.
    • Various bugfixes.
    • Reduced lag with busy battles.
    • Introduced a background buff stats system (repairing turrets works by this).

44. Gobla

Gobla

The server that is hosting the game is unresponsive right now. This is a hosting/provider issue, please try again later.

45. Gobla

Gobla

The server is back online since 5 am (GTM +1).

46. xtremepman

xtremepman

WOW! This game is really good.

47. xtremepman

xtremepman

It looks like Tanki or something

48. Gobla

Gobla

Thank you!

I've actually never heard of the game so I looked it up.

I must say that some of these tanks have some similarities.

49. Gobla

Gobla

Since the next updates holds a lot of changes that requires a lot of testing, I will place so called snapshot updates.
    The snapshots holds selections of features of the game that i am testing. If you see bugs in the snapshot, please report them.

For in between updates you can now check http://www.minitankbattles.com/snapshot.php.

50. Gobla

Gobla

Levelling system
    The game now holds a levelling system. If you kill a mob you will get experience points. With these experience points you will level up. Leveling up will improve your health as well as unlock stat points. With these stat points you can unlock the turrets and get an armor boost. Further options for the stat points will be developed later on. It is also mandatory to be level 4 before you can play the new level.

Stat points
    For each level you gain, you will get a new stat point you can spend. So far there are 3 stats you can put a stat point in: Armor boost, Allow to build Dual Cannons, Allow to build Tesla Cannons. In there future there will be complete talent trees available for each class.

Mobs
    The mobs are mad that you keep killing them. So mobs now also have levels along with the health boost that comes with it. Mobs now also can equip armor and better weapons (which also can be stronger depending on their level) because they thought it was unfair that only you could equip armor and better weapons. Mobs also drop gear now within the range of their own level.

Gear
    Gear now has different kinds of levels and level requirements. So a level 4 armor can now be equiped when you are at least level 4. However this level 4 armor will hold better stats than the same level 1 armor.

New map: Frozen peaks
    Frozen peaks is the name for the new COOP map. This map is set in the snow covered mountain tops. This map has dangerous cliffs you can fall off and multiple access points from where mobs can enter. There are also a lot more mobs that you will encounter in this level. Mob levels here range from 4 to 6.

Music
    There is new music in the game. The music differs from the building, battle and boss phase. More music will follow soon for each level.

Bugfixes
    There are so many bugfixes that I've lost track of what bugs have been fixed. However the whole game should be much more stable.

Wiki
    I am planning on creating a wiki that can be filled in by you! I won't fill this wiki myself because I would like to see the interpretation of you of the game mechanics. This way I can adapt the game mechanics to better liking. If you want to participate in filling the wiki, please let me know so I can set up an account for you. I will only moderate the wiki so no spam / profanity / etc comes on the wiki.