Search Unity

Mecanim tutorial from AirBuccaneers

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by hechus, Dec 14, 2012.

1. hechus

hechus

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

I just skimmed it, but that looks like a nice writeup! I look forward to reading it fully later!

3. Nubz

Nubz

That's more of a review than a tutorial

4. TheSin

TheSin

Its not really a review or tutorial but does point out mecanims biggest flaw. Limited access to control via scripting. The way animation is controlled thru their state controller, is at best, poor, very poor. The whole should be totally controllable through scripting.

5. Nubz

Nubz

I did get that from it myself.

Was a good read in the end I didn't mean for my post to sound like a put down at all

Other than an experiment or 2 here and there I still use the legacy way of scripting everything out with already made animations

6. TheSin

TheSin

Sorry, didnt mean to sound like your post was a put down. I agree it should make it more of a critic of mecanim.

Im still using legacy and in no way find mecanim better right now as it feels like a cripple d version with such limited api access and very poor statemachine!!

The control of it feels more like an artists tool and takes away power from the coder. Why cant i justuse a go to transition function built into mecanim then setup my own system around where i make my own conditions in code. And nope the current way where i can set parameters isnt the way. It was and is such a bad way. Other than that mecanim will grow and i can see my downfalls eventually becoming void.