Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Navigator Support

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by 001visualizer, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 001visualizer

001visualizer

[/quote]
    Space Navigator is used by about half a dozen users around here, it's just not a priority.

Attached Files:

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Own a space navigator myself. Its not exactly expensive (my mouse + keyboard cost twice as much) and anyone interested in saving time in 3D creation will the sooner or later at least give it a try.

especially due to the mode seperation in Unity it would be nice to have it as option in the forseable future.

3. Jessy

Jessy

You are a "Unity Technical Artist". Therefore, you are a less efficient employee without SpaceNavigator support (and your job is less pleasant). I am sure the same could be said for other people working for the company, if not everyone. If the SpaceNavigator is supported internally, then it can be supported externally.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you say so. Do you sell these things out of your garage or something?

As an artist and modeler I see no advantage using this device... in Unity being able to navigate a larger scene might be nice (however in Unity 2.5 there are new FPS controls in the Scene View which make navigating around a scene much easier). I didn't say it would never happen, I just said it wasn't a priority.

Ethan

5. jashan

jashan

Is it really only half a dozen? I'm one of them, and I'd definitely appreciate SpaceNavigator support in Unity. I think the SpaceNavigator is simply *the* tool for navigating in 3D-space (and I'm not selling them ... just like to work with the one I own).

6. Jessy

Jessy

If you've used it in Maya (not that I think Maya is ideal for modeling), with a setup tailored to you, and still think that, it's just a mental hurdle to overcome. 3 dimensions translation + 3 axes of rotation, along with simultaneous use of a mouse, is a potential increase in efficiency, and more importantly, it's a lack of constraint on what you want to get out of your camera.

Also, digital control of movement, which I'm sure is what 2.5's FPS mode entails, is lame. :p That's not saying that it won't be appreciated, because simultaneous 2D looking + digital movement is a nice option, when the alternative is one axis of mouse-y control at a time.

...I had a thought:
    The way I set up my SpaceNavigator is exactly like dual-analog FPS control, except I also have the ability to have up/down (flying/sinking) movement, and an axis for turning upside down (imagine being impaled front the front/back, and then spinning around on the impaling device. :eek:

So, what you're saying is contradictory. The SpaceNavigator does the same thing as the new controls "which make navigating around a scene much easier", only more so.

7. defmech

defmech

Throw my name in the bunch of Space Navigator users. I bring mine to and from work every day. I've always had my fingers crossed for Unity support, but with the new controls in 2.5, it might not be as much of an issue.

8. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

I use a Space Navigator and would also like to see this implemented.

9. Yann

Yann

Just give a try to SketchUp + Space Navigator (set to camera mode) : to my knowledge, there is no better way to navigate fast and accurately inside a 3D scene. Feels like being onboard a small helicopter... believe us, this tool is fantastic for modelling !

10. Causality

Causality

+1 vote for Space Navigator support.

I could understand if it's just too much effort to get it to work seeing as it's for a relatively small user base (although it appears to be growing rapidly!).

I'm sure you've looked into it, but if you haven't, pretty please spend a couple of minutes investigating how hard/easy it would be to incorporate into Unity.

Space Navigator support would be another cherry on top of the delicious cake that is Unity (and if you don't like cherries insert favourite topping of your choice).

Michael

11. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

12. Fireburst

Fireburst

Space Navigator support would be very welcome.

I am currently on the fence regarding purchasing a Unity licence but can say that the use of a Space Navigator has improved my productivity in Cinema 4D by about 10%

13. HJPuhlmann

HJPuhlmann

14. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

+1 and hey, I'm coder! :)

Will buy one immediately if Unity supports it.

15. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I probably wouldn't use it in the editor, but would like to be able to use it as an input device in game! And yes, this topic has come up many times in the past...

16. ken m

ken m

+1 for me too. I use it with Unity via ControllerMate, but native support would be much much better.

17. samim

samim

18. JR

JR

19. JFo

JFo

20. Wyldfire

Wyldfire

Gotta throw in my own +1 here.

Also, I imagine that when you release 2.5 and open the floodgates to Windows users you'll see a lot more demand for this. There's a lot more support for the device on the Windows side of the fence to begin with.

21. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

See, it's still only a half-dozen people with that vote factored in ;)

Ok, I will try and convince someone to look into this finally. It's a good tool and if it's easy enough to integrate then why the hell not? No guarantee though, I just promise to make a case for it.

Ethan

22. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Wait, we can +/- values other than 1?

23. shawnemccarthy

shawnemccarthy

Thanks for making the case for this, the software based controllermate just in not the same as an integrated solution.

24. ratamorph

ratamorph

+

I think an editor API entry point for adding support for devices like this would be very nice, that way we won't have to bug UT asking support for devices to control the editor.

We'll code support ourselves :D

25. errormaker

errormaker

I have a Spacenavigator...
    Of course Unity shall support it.

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Bad forum etiquette. Pick one thread, post once. Please don't do this again. Any future comments about Space Nagivator support should be posted here. This thread is locked to reduce clutter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.