Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Lucerne
    [/quote]
    Space Navigator is used by about half a dozen users around here, it's just not a priority.

[quote]

Please do not underrate that! Look at the Forum >there are a lot more then a half dozen who guess the SpaceNavigater would be a greate expantion to Unity3D.

Especialy is there no arrgument against to link the SpaceNavigator as an input device for common 3D game navigations. (As it can be done with a Joystick)

Look at the screenshot. It shows, that SpaceNavigator sends coordinate datas like an other Joystick too.

Is it that heavy for you to implement this to use it like an Joystick?
    Attached Images  

2. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Own a space navigator myself. Its not exactly expensive (my mouse + keyboard cost twice as much) and anyone interested in saving time in 3D creation will the sooner or later at least give it a try.

especially due to the mode seperation in Unity it would be nice to have it as option in the forseable future.

3. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by aNTeNNa trEE
    Space Navigator is used by about half a dozen users around here, it's just not a priority.
    You are a "Unity Technical Artist". Therefore, you are a less efficient employee without SpaceNavigator support (and your job is less pleasant). I am sure the same could be said for other people working for the company, if not everyone. If the SpaceNavigator is supported internally, then it can be supported externally.

4. Volunteer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy
    You are a "Unity Technical Artist". Therefore, you are a less efficient employee without SpaceNavigator support (and your job is less pleasant).
    If you say so. Do you sell these things out of your garage or something?

As an artist and modeler I see no advantage using this device... in Unity being able to navigate a larger scene might be nice (however in Unity 2.5 there are new FPS controls in the Scene View which make navigating around a scene much easier). I didn't say it would never happen, I just said it wasn't a priority.

Ethan

5. Location
    The Endless Ocean of Infinite Potential
    Is it really only half a dozen? I'm one of them, and I'd definitely appreciate SpaceNavigator support in Unity. I think the SpaceNavigator is simply *the* tool for navigating in 3D-space (and I'm not selling them ... just like to work with the one I own).

6. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    As an artist and modeler I see no advantage using this device...
    If you've used it in Maya (not that I think Maya is ideal for modeling), with a setup tailored to you, and still think that, it's just a mental hurdle to overcome. 3 dimensions translation + 3 axes of rotation, along with simultaneous use of a mouse, is a potential increase in efficiency, and more importantly, it's a lack of constraint on what you want to get out of your camera.

Also, digital control of movement, which I'm sure is what 2.5's FPS mode entails, is lame. :P That's not saying that it won't be appreciated, because simultaneous 2D looking + digital movement is a nice option, when the alternative is one axis of mouse-y control at a time.

...I had a thought:
    (however in Unity 2.5 there are new FPS controls in the Scene View which make navigating around a scene much easier)
    The way I set up my SpaceNavigator is exactly like dual-analog FPS control, except I also have the ability to have up/down (flying/sinking) movement, and an axis for turning upside down (imagine being impaled front the front/back, and then spinning around on the impaling device.

So, what you're saying is contradictory. The SpaceNavigator does the same thing as the new controls "which make navigating around a scene much easier", only more so.

7. Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Throw my name in the bunch of Space Navigator users. I bring mine to and from work every day. I've always had my fingers crossed for Unity support, but with the new controls in 2.5, it might not be as much of an issue.

8. Posts
    I use a Space Navigator and would also like to see this implemented.

9. Location
    Lyon, France
    As an artist and modeler I see no advantage using this device...
    Just give a try to SketchUp + Space Navigator (set to camera mode) : to my knowledge, there is no better way to navigate fast and accurately inside a 3D scene. Feels like being onboard a small helicopter... believe us, this tool is fantastic for modelling !
    By definition, nothingness doesn't exist...

10. Location
    Melbourne, Australlia
    +1 vote for Space Navigator support.

I could understand if it's just too much effort to get it to work seeing as it's for a relatively small user base (although it appears to be growing rapidly!).

I'm sure you've looked into it, but if you haven't, pretty please spend a couple of minutes investigating how hard/easy it would be to incorporate into Unity.

Space Navigator support would be another cherry on top of the delicious cake that is Unity (and if you don't like cherries insert favourite topping of your choice).

Michael

11. Location
    Tampa, FL
    Dr. Jeff Craighead
    Research Computer Scientist
    James A. Haley VA Hospital, Tampa

12. Location
    Spain
    Space Navigator support would be very welcome.

I am currently on the fence regarding purchasing a Unity licence but can say that the use of a Space Navigator has improved my productivity in Cinema 4D by about 10%

13. Location
    Frankfurt Main / Germany
    Heinz

Unity 2.5 Pro, iMac, OSX 10.5.7, Maya 2009, Modo 401, ZBruch 3.1

14. Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1 and hey, I'm coder!

Will buy one immediately if Unity supports it.
    Latest release: RC Mini Racers.

15. Location
    32.71° N, 117.15° W
    I probably wouldn't use it in the editor, but would like to be able to use it as an input device in game! And yes, this topic has come up many times in the past...

16. Posts
    +1 for me too. I use it with Unity via ControllerMate, but native support would be much much better.

17. Posts

18. Posts
    Gotta throw in my own +1 here.

Also, I imagine that when you release 2.5 and open the floodgates to Windows users you'll see a lot more demand for this. There's a lot more support for the device on the Windows side of the fence to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast