Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Game Launcher, Customization of "Resolution Dialog"

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by jwinn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jwinn

jwinn

For anyone created a standalone game with Unity, it would be useful to have at least a few basic options for a launcher. I am finding that questions regarding this on the forums and Unity Answers suggest that the best route is to create a separate launcher app in C#, and then program configuration changes into your own options screen inside Unity. I've also seen mention of using resource hacker for PC or nib files for interface builder with Mac only, which only looks like it'll get you so far (and would require manual editing for each OS).

I'd like to see:
    • Resolution Dialog renamed to Launcher or something similar, and a checkbox to include the input/resolution selection or not. Some people want the launcher without the inputs/resolution selectors.
    • Ability to display custom text, web links, etc. E.g. patch notes
    • More ability to customize the window and looks
    • Being able to pull in realtime data such as an RSS feed / just the ability to program and include something like this

If working with an online game or one that is getting constant updates, being able to communicate to the player before they launch a fullscreen app has some benefits. Say you want them to fill out an online survey or poll to help make your game better, or have some big announcement on the website that you want to direct them to.

Example of what I'm talking about in the Hawken launcher:
    $launcher_hawken.jpg

Some other discussions on this:

An Even Bigger Wishlist Item - Game Updater / Patcher
    This is a much bigger feature, so I'll only list as a side note. I see there is one game patcher on the asset store, but an official Unity created and supported one would be fantastic. Most games needs to be patched at some point, and who wants to download the whole installer every time?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Kevinsomn1a

Kevinsomn1a

Wow, never thought of this. This feature should be in Unity 5.0 or something

3. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

I second the crap out of this. The current resolution dialog is ugly and clunky, and could definitely use some customization features. Even if this means making certain aspects of customization pro-only, at least the feature being there would help games to look more professional.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos

Can already be done, just needs to be a separate executable. It would be sweet to build it into Unity, though.

5. Kazoos

Kazoos

Amen! - It is needed, and if I hear 1 more person tell me that you dont need to patch your games. Forward thinking or some other crap saying games dont need updating and I will hit the roof. Explain that to my online games which need future development and clients dont want to download 2 gig every time.. And to top this.. I dont want to waste money on the bandwidth charges either.

Indeed, but for a lot of users they dont have the know how to do this or they want a universal approach for mac/windows.

Im going to look at writing a Unity based project for this which is Free because M@h's version is a little steap for some.

6. cherub

cherub

Yes Please!

7. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

+1 on this one. Patching with a custom launcher would rock.

8. liszto

liszto

I approved too ! I think about it every day of my developer life :D

9. Cynikal

Cynikal

Why not write yourself a launcher, then pass the variables?

For example....2 ways of doing this.

1. Command Line Arguments.
    --- From the launcher, start the game.exe with your command line arguments and read the arguments (resolution, etc) at run time.

2. Config File.
    --- From the launcher, save the settings in a config file, and have the game read them at run time.