Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerrainComposer to create AAA realistic terrains [beta version released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

If that is okkei with you eagle555 please can you write for us, on the first post each update and exactly what was changed or added ? It will helps us a lot with much faster assimilation of new possibilities. :)

2. eagle555

eagle555

The 'TerrainComposer release notes' text file inside the TerrainComposer map contains the information on all the latest updates.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    just want to let all know that TC works fantastic also on Mac ! (It's not normal @ Asset Store!!!)
    I have completed the Tutorial and made my own Terrain now and i'm very Happy with it!
    You can also use this for Mobile Terrain as well...
    The Dev is very responsive if you find a issue and will fix it imminently :)
    For me is the best Terrain Tool available!

so i can highly recommend this great little Tool!

4. shwa

shwa

Hi Nathaniel,

Looks like an interesting tool!

Are the file sizes of these terrains similar to one's one would find on the unity store or from unity?
    e.g. i'm seeing terrains ranging from 5 megs up to 25-35 megs in my projects. (before they are compressed.)

Is there a free version available to test out (with watermarks or limited features)?

Do you plan on having web demos or downloadable demos so people can look very carefully at the quality of the terrains?

Can one use various brushes to have very precise control on building a terrain?

I'd like to check this tool out, but want to get a better sense of it before i spend $90.

thanks!

shwa

5. eagle555

eagle555

Thank you, that are good questions. It's exactly the same sizes as TerrainComposer is using Unity terrain, and you can use any resolution high and low.

No, there's not a free version availible. I can make a downloadable runtime demo this week, will post it when it's ready.

You can still use Unity's terrain brushes to fine tune.

6. angel_m

angel_m

+1

Are there any docs in pdf or so?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I have to documents, a main pdf document and a tutorial pdf documents. Also tutorial videos at my site

8. angel_m

angel_m

But is the main pdf document at your site or only inside the package?

9. eagle555

eagle555

The main document is only in my package.

10. Teila

Teila

I just purchased this and it looks great. However, I have a question.

I have a large height map and would like to create a terrain using this heightmap and then split it into 9 terrains. I understand how to make the multiple terrains and have watched the video but not sure how to spit a terrain with a height map.

The information on Slice looks promising but the manual is pretty brief on this subject. Can I do this with slice within Terrain Composer or would I be better off creating the large terrain with height map and then using something else to divide it into multiple terrains and then import them into Terrain Composer? If Slice would work for this, could you give more detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

11. eagle555

eagle555

You can do this very easy with TerrainComposer, don't even need the slice tool for that. I will put this into the main documentation.

I assume your heightmap is a .raw 16 bit file.

Click Here For Full Image

1. First create your 9 terrains in TerrainComposer.
    2. Fit them together with the <Fit All> button.
    3. Create a heightmap layer.
    4. Set filter input to -> Raw Heightmap.
    5. Click 'Open' and open your raw file.
    6. Under settings choose 'Strecth Mode' -> Multi Terrain.
    7. Enable Heightmap Output Button and Click Generate.

And now your heightmap is spread over multiple terrains.
    Let met know if you get it to work.

You can use filter settings like strength, to lower/higher the terrain, and curve the deform it. In another filter you can load another heightmap and then mix those heightmaps together with filter output of second filter on add, max, min, average. And then with each filter you can select the strength, etc. TC is a mixing powerhouse. For more advanced blending you can add a subfilter (functions as a mask) to each filter, and for example blend them based on a perlin curve to get more varation in your terrain, etc.

Attached Files:

12. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

I definitely want to buy this - it looks awesome IMO, frankly UT should buy you out and just include this in base Unity!

I'd however prefer to wait until the Asset Store purchase is available (I too prefer all my assets hosted in the store) and I'm also waiting for the documentation to mature a bit more.

I have to say congrats on what definitely looks like an AAA+ terrain tool for Unity!

-Will

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

WillBellJr it is already available on the asset store. For about a day now :).

14. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Will,

- As thinker mentioned it is on the Asset Store already
    - The documentation is good already, 38 paged main document and 29 page tutorial, it includes many interface screenshots and step to step text. Only as noticed by the post of Teila, I didn't document every feature yet, actually I thought I mentioned it in the Island tutorial but I didn't.

15. Venged

Venged

I bought my copy from your website. I tried the update from the help menu. It works like a charm! Thanks!

I usually try not to buy assets that are not on the Asset Store, which yours wasn't , at the time of my purchase because of past update issues and waiting for responses. No problem here!

Thanks for the great support

Robert

16. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Robert,

Thank you, I put a small procedural heightmap creation tutorial in the new update. You can open it with TC Menu -> Open-> Examples -> Procedural Mountains.

A from skratch video is coming soon.

17. Teila

Teila

Thanks but it did not work. I figured I would try again in case it was my error so I deleted the terrains from the. Unity crashed and now it crashes soon after opening. I get an error regarding Terrain Composer and "Erosion not a valid name", which I never used. I will try starting a new scene.

18. eagle555

eagle555

You might have deleted something from the package in the project window, best is to reimport it.

What heightmap file are you using? 16bit? and it must have a square resolution. What tool is it made in?

You can also contact me at Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com, if you have skype I can help you by chat, which goes faster.

19. Teila

Teila

Started a new project and the error went away. However, the height map on the terrain won't generate without a splat map and I don't have one for my test height map. Do I need splat maps to try this? I realize that I will want a splat map but don't have one at the moment.

I do have Skype but am making dinner and playing with Unity at the same time so not a good time. :)

Oh, and I am using 16bit square resolution height map. I have worked with them before just confused about the multi-terrain stuff. I am sure I will slap my forehead once I figure it out. It will be so easy!

20. Venged

Venged

Thanks! I look forward to the tutorial video! I will check out the example, that you described, tonight.

21. eagle555

eagle555

No you don't need splatmaps. The Splat Output Button (third button in top of TerrainComposer window, see tooltip text) is standard enabled (background color is green). You have to disable it and only enable the Heightmap Output Button (Which is the first button).

You can import the standard splat textures from Unity Menu -> Import Package -> Terrain Assets. TerrainComposer also includes 3 RGB splattextures which with you can texture any color unto the terrain using the color output with color layers.

Can you give me more information about the type of heightmap and resolution you are using?

22. eagle555

eagle555

You have to manually download the new update 1.032 were I fixed some empty terrain settings in the example Procedural Mountains TC project.

23. Venged

Venged

Can you send me the link to manually download? No rush. Working in Blender 3D tonight.

Thanks
    Robert

24. Venged

Venged

I just did the update from the help menu and it did update to 1.032 version from 1.031 which I had updated to earlier. I may be misunderstanding your comment but it looks like your built in update system updates without me needing to manually download. Is it part of the example or documentation that I would be lacking doing it this way?

25. eagle555

eagle555

What I mean by manually download is to only click, the 'check now' button. So it's better for me to say 'manually check for updates', as download goes indeed automatically. With version 1.032 the tutorial should work fine.

TerrainComposer on default update setting, checks once a day for a new update. If I make an update the same day after TC already checked, it has to be checked manually to get it that same day.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  26. Archania

Archania

Still think a overall unity asset package would be good instead of putting an old version in your project, and then updating to get the newest updates when starting a new project. Other then that cant wait for the video and loving the asset so far, just keeps getting better.

27. eagle555

eagle555

What you mention is already there,
    The newest unity package is always downloaded into Unity project folder TerrainComposer -> Update. Now it's named 'Update.unitypackage' , I changed the name to 'TerrainComposer.unitypackage' with version 1.02, but when released it, I had to decline it quickly as I overlooked something. Now I'm almost ready again with all the things I added over a week in version 1.02 to include. Also the extra buttons in the perlin curve (which are mentioned in the procedural heightmap tutorial).

So you can always use the package in the update folder for a new project as that is the latest update.

28. Archania

Archania

Sweet. Then I am sorry. Must have overlooked that.

29. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

:: CONGRATULATIONS !

HI ! Thank you deeply so much For this Wonderful Valuable Package. Is one of the very best things there is outhere righ now. I want to give you my deepest congratulations .

Thanks so much for Building This Valuable Asset !

THE SOULS SAGA TEAM

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  30. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

:: TERRAIN COMPOSER WISHLIST / FEATURES REQUEST

( Next it will be some features request ... Nothing too difficult and for a long 1 year term WISHLIST... )

Disclaimer: this are just "wild" wishes for this terrain Extension Next Developments ...
    Dont Take them too much seriously.
    Thanks.

o) FEATURE REQUEST 0: NODAL SYSTEM INTERFACE

- Getting a Nodal Sistem Interface as good as USCRIPt
    - - With a Dedicated Single Window just for it Containing all the Sistem Settings / tipes / layers / filters
    - - - Serving all every Options by NODES

- Exactly as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGMPsco280
    This Is one of the TOPMOST priorities we see that this Extension should have - as soon as possible ...

1) FEATURE REQUEST 1: Paging xtreaming

PTerrain alike / Paged Terrain tiles ...
    - Ok i know is kind of sily to compare "development" of two different products ... But as far as we ( little availed ) in this Terrain composer amazing project ... The Only Thing that would need would be a Paged Terrain tiles On Gameplay feature ...
    - - Pterrain Allows kind of a Show just the terrains tiles that are on view when gameplaying ...
    - - - So handling " terrain paging for huge, seamless worlds. It works by loading and unloading terrains on-the-fly as the players walk over the world" ... Allowing Therefore Massive Worlds Development "enabling the paging of terrain arrays of any sizes, allowing you to create huge, seamless worlds in Unity with minimal footprint in your game."

Now ok That Would be like THE GREAT NEXT STEP ! For this extension ...
    - And as you have at least 2 extensions doing this / the PTERRAIN And the PROWORLD .. you can get some ideas on how to do it .

OR ( To get things more easy for your sides ) GET PROWORLD COMPATIBILITY !
    - You can see All its features here ...
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3LXlzpK7s
    - - If you look at the End Of the Video ( there is there also that Paging terrain feature / on after setting i was talking about )

If there would be any possibility For Integration / of work pipeline between this 2 extensions would be like AMAZING !

2) FEATURE REQUEST 2: Objects populated As terrains ...

Allow us integration Of the terrain features / populations Materials / on "non terrains" / Objects ...
    Much like Terrain 4 mobile Features ... http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/123282-T4M-Black-Edition

The ability of For example Do a Arbitrary Large mesh terrain modeled in Zbrush / 3dcoat / mudbox, split in 50.000 polys square parts , then Use a "populate over it" with terrain details / use splatmaps terrain Detailing features / and in the end use a "Object Blocks page streaming" Like pterrain But on Custom meshes ... enabling 360* populations in imported objects ! Would be like HEAVEN !

3) FEATURE REQUEST 3 : Going Voxel Procedural ! ...

This voxelform project here was discontinuated exactly when it was getting extremely interesting , as you can see ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojo2dFiLtao

TerrainEdge , Was also Discontinuated When it was getting Interesting / with procedural mesh Generator for Overhangs And caves http://www.creativeinsomnia.net/tl/unity/te_gallery.php ....

How about Having those features In TERRAIN COMPOSER !

OK now I'm getting to HIGH On features requests / Ideas ...
    So lets lower a little bit ...

4) FEATURE REQUEST 4 : Real Terrain data / with Height Texture Again Tiles Streaming

Mega terrain is getting cool ! http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?p=3530
    That other terrain Extension the Terraland also http://www.terraunity.com/product/TerraLand/2/page.aspx

BUT TERRAIN COMPOSER We also can do that ...
    We would just need a Robust way to be able to import Real terrain Heigh / but also Texture data ...

If you see Pterrain Interface It allows for us to mass import tiles from worldmachine or other
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROIbPLbvH08

To be able to Not just Import / height Texture data / as export ... That easiest way Would be Wounder-full ...

5) FEATURE REQUEST 5 : MEsh Blending Advanced Terrain Shaders ...

Compatibility With RTP Relief terrain Pack Shader MEsh Blending tool ...
    http://u3d.as/content/tomasz-stobierski/rtp-relief-terrain-pack/3Jy

Would be AMAZING !

ANYWAY I THINK THATS IT !
    ( This are some IDEAS and WISHES of some things that we would love to have
    WITHIN THE NEXT 1 YEAR Of this project .... )

Disclaimer:
    Please dont take me wrong /this is just a WISHLIST of things would be amazing To have integrated in this Development.
    There are many of this wishes that are already available to be done in some ways with the current version of the amazing TERRAINCOMPOSER !
    But we are so happy with the Buy / That we would really would like to push this development further
    / So therefore The "mere ideas" / wishes of thing Todo And Tohave Out of this within the next 1 year !

UNITY Was really Reaaly needing a Actual ACTIVE Development Extention as TERRAINCOMPOSER ...
    As you can see all the others that i mentioned (LESS PROWORLD) Are Extensions that literaly SINKED In their Way Home ...
    - So its just natural that "we" as all everyone would start to "wish" too much out of this Already amazing project as it is .

PS: If you think this post is too long / just warn us / we can rehost it in pastehtml.com or some other place
    Leaving here just the link for it Anyway ..

THANK YOU!
    For listening continuing a Active development on this amazing Valuable Extension.
    Unity Should COntract you to develop Their terrain System !
    ^.~

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING ! Within This Amazing product !
    The SOULSSAGA Production team.

31. eagle555

eagle555

Thank you :). As for those errors, they are in the MeshCombine scripts which are standard included in Unity. It might be that those scripts are upgraded in Unity 4.1. You can import the scripts from Unity 4.1 in -> Unity Menu -> Assets -> Import Package -> scripts. If that solves the problem let me know.

There's always the latest update downloaded in the Unity project folder -> TerrainComposer -> Update -> 'Update.unitypackage'. It will be named 'TerrainComposer.unitypackage' in the next update, you can use that package for new projects.

32. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

HO ! I DIDNT NOTICE THAT ! THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

This extension is so greath and grand And have Sooo many features ...

That We kinda fell like LOST / as there is so much To Work in and Study Workflows at ...

But its just greath !
    Keep up the amazing work !

PS: Sory the huge post.. Gona put it in tiny letters.

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING !

SOULSAGA TEAM is out.

33. eagle555

eagle555

Thank you for the wish list :), looks like an amazing list. Exactly my thoughts.

I was planning making extensions for TerrainComposer, as it all requires a lot of programming. I already worked about 6 months on the > 20.000 lines of code. And I even didn't have time to show all the features yet.

1+4. The paging streaming I'm working on, it's very promising, can do it without any drop in framerate. I'm planing making a camera system that will completely manange the terrains in runtime that exceeds everything as well as runtime generation that always your whole massive endless terrain to be streamed and stored as 2mb of hdd space. Instead with 10gb for a game with many terrain levels, the storage size would only be about 10mb.

2+3. Mesh support is also what I'm working on. To combine meshes with terrain to create tunnels, caves, etc. Also a RoadComposer, that composes mesh roads from road maps.

5. TerrainComposer is already compatible with all the terrainshaders and additional shaders.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just bought this amazing tool few hours ago, to be honest it is a toll with a huge amount of possibilities BUT it is highly overwhelming for someone who never had contact with such advance plug-in.
    That said it is very well made, GUI is slime nicely created and applying to eyes, but if there is something i will HIGHLY recommend is to create a video tutorial on how to create a basic terrain from complete scratch threw showing how we can add our own things on the map to how to create a huge advance terrains perfect for our needs.
    Those should be first tutorial ever made for this fantastic plug-in it would make it make it much easier to understand by new developers and i think it will rise the amount of buyers when they understand the full potential of this beauty.

35. houndie

houndie

This just brought a tear to my eye ... Eagle if you pull this off you will be a god in my eyes !!

36. shwa

shwa

Still sorting out in my head whether this tool is what i'm looking for.

I'm interested in being able to build terrains completely from scratch, and have alot of control over what i can build. I like to work smart, and i don't mind banging my head against a wall for quite a long time, to learn something. I'm pretty good at learning new tools/software.

I have little experience using the unity terrain tools. Up until now, i've mainly used terrains i've bought in the asset store.

I'm on mac osx, and haven't found affordable mac osx 3rd party software packages that will allow me to built terrains from scratch, and then easily import them into unity.

Nathaniel, are the terrains here: http://www.terraincomposer.com/screenshots1/

built Entirely from scratch using terrain composer within unity?
    Are the heightmaps made from scratch in terrain composer?

Have you got a video tutorial or documentation that explains how to build a terrain from scratch or from nothing?

Does terrain composer come with textures to paint with/place, rocks, trees, grass, etc?

Will terrain composer make a coffee for me, when i need one?

Thanks!

shwa

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  37. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I wish you good luck with TerrainComposer. In the beginning the buttons might look overwelming, but if you use it a little longer, you start to see the logic and actually how simple you can adhieve amazing results, with literally a few click. I will show that in the next video which I will make at the beginning of next week, a video from skratch creating procedural heightmap with texturing, etc. I'm about ready with the new update, that makes heightmap creation even easier. Also there's already a small tutorial in there that shows how to make such terrain. TC Menu -> File -> Open -> Examples -> Procedural Mountains. In the 'TerrainComposer Release Notes' file, I put all the information what's new in each update. Also if I added things like tutorials, etc.

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Shwa,

These are very good questions. Well you can learn this tool very fast, as it does only need a few clicks to get results, my videos are from sometime ago and since then I made major updates in TC, and like mentioned before it's time for a new video, that shows from skratch, with the latest features. I'm almost sure you will be amazed how easy it is.

As for your question the first 3 screenshots only the heightmaps are not made with TC, but the following pictures are 100% TC.

This terrain is 100% TC and the heightmaps, texturing, trees and grass are 100% procedural.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/procedural-terrain/

TerrainComposer comes with some example textures, like the satellite images from my video. But not with terrain assets. As TC is a terrain creation tool and not an art package, but I included a readme document, that provides all the download links to the free terrain assets on the Asset Store.

As for the coffee that the feature I'm still working on, at the moment it does only tea ;)

39. shwa

shwa

@ Eagle555

Thanks for your fast and detailed reply, Eagle.

"at the moment it does only tea"

Tea?

C'mon, man, all that code and... Tea, but not Coffee?

I was very excited about this tool, but now i find out i have to make my own coffee.

Almost a deal breaker for me. But only 'almost',... as i just bought it on the Unity asset store, and am starting with your island demo, to begin to get a sense what's under the hood of the 20,000 lines of code.

Very curious about this. !

I'm off to make some coffee.

40. eagle555

eagle555

I wish you good luck with TerrainComposer. Coffee will be availible in the next update, next week ;).

41. Kafar

Kafar

Hi all,

Yesterday I purchased the Terrain Composer, after imported in my Project I obtain the following errors and it not displayed in Unity Terrain menu:

"Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js(420,22): BCE0019: 'WriteAllBytes' is not a member of 'System.IO.File' "
    "Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js(3834,62): BCE0019: 'Length' is not a member of 'System.IO.File' "
    "Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js(4047,48): BCE0019: 'ReadAllBytes' is not a member of 'System.IO.File' "

I tried to reimport all but with no difference.

Thanks in advance

-Kafar

42. eagle555

eagle555

What version of Unity are you using? And what platform? You can also contact me at Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com for direct support.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  43. Kafar

Kafar

Thank you for quick reply. The Unity version is 4.0.1f2 for PC platform (x86).

-Kafar

44. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Kafar,

It should work under Unity 4.01f2, System.IO is part of the .Net framework, and those functions should be in there. It might because you have selected another .Net Compatibility in your project settings.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/MonoCompatibility.html

You can change your .net settings under Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Player -> Settings for PC, Mac Linux Standalone.

What if you try a new project? does it work then?

45. Kafar

Kafar

Hmmm, trying to import in a new project it works. But I must understand why not in my project.
    Thank you very much for the support.

-Kafar

46. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Kafar,

It must have to do with the .Net settings in Player. Just set it the same as in the new project.

47. Kafar

Kafar

Question: your tool run in Unity Web Player platform setting? Because in PC setting I run the TC but if I switch in Web Platform setting the Terrain Composer in Terrain menu disappear.
    This is a problem if I need to build a Web version of my game.

Thanks

-Kafar

48. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Kafar,

Oh ic, Webplayer mode you can't use System.IO, TerrainComposer uses functions as ReadAllBytes, I will look if I can find a go around for it.

What would work now -> you can design everything in PC Build mode, duplicate your project, and in the new project delete TerrainComposer folder.

49. Kafar

Kafar

Ok, thanks.

-Kafar

50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Kafar,

I've found a solution for it. I have to move those function to the TerrainComposer editorscript, then it would work. If you email me I can send you an update.