Search Unity

Efficient C# to UnityScript converter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lion, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Lion

Lion

Hello everybody

If you ever had to translate a piece of code or even whole files from a language to another, you know how long, tedious and boring this task can be. And since Unity supports three languages, such need may came up more than once in your developer life !

Fortunately, an efficient C# to UnityScript converter is now available on the Asset Store !

This converter will do 99% of the job for you and if your C# code is not full of features that are not supported by UnityScript (more on that below), the UnityScript code will works right away.

Unfortunately, UnityScript has less features than C#.
    That means that in some cases, there is just no way to express in UnityScript what the C# code does.
    In some other cases, you will need to refactor part of the UnityScript code (when it's not done by the converter itself) to make it do the same thing as the C# code.

The manual provides an overview of the features that are not converted and a workaround when one can be found.
    Link to the manual.

Also, the capacity to convert up to a whole hierarchy -with practically no setup and the push of a button- will definitely save you a lot of time.

Not convinced ?

The Asset Store has a few screenshots showing some C# code and its UnityScript equivalent straight out of the converter.
    But if want to test the conversion with more real life examples of yours, just use the demo I set up on my website.
    Link to the demo.
    It allows you to converter 100 lignes at a time. So you may use the demo for short snippets of code, for free.

Question, feature request, need support ?

Just drop me a mail, a PM, reply in this topic, etc...