Search Unity

Car selection screen

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by hellobard, Dec 6, 2012.

1. hellobard

hellobard

Hi,

I am making a car game and I would like to have a Car selection screen in my first scene, and then load an instantiated prefab from the selection in the next scene. So how I understand this process is that essentially I need the player to press a button for selection his/her car which then sends a message to the next scene to instantiate a certain prefab.

Does anyone know how to set up a script like this? Any help would be highly appreciated! :)

2. achingupta87

achingupta87

you needs to take an for loop for all car button. suppose you have 5 car . put all car info in an arrayList.
    Code (csharp):
    2. public string[] cararray=new string[5];
    4.      void Start ()
    5.             {
    6.         cararray[0]=car1;
    7.         cararray[1]=car2;
    8.         cararray[2]=car3;
    9.         cararray[3]=car4;
    10.         cararray[4]=car5;
    12.         }      
    14. foreach(int i=0;i<=5;i++)
    15. {
    16.            if(GUILayout.Button(""+cararray[i],GUILayout.ExpandWidth(true)))
    17.             {
    18.                           carname=cararray[i];
    19.                         // use any function to call this car here
    21.                         }
    22. }

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. Ravel

Ravel

You will also need to transfer your car from selection scene to game scene, use DontDestroyOnLoad(YourSelectedCar);

4. hellobard

hellobard

Many thanks to both of you for the replies and the excellent code from achingupta87!

Ravel: so I will need to bring it with me to the next scene? Interesting... So I could have a show room of 5 cars, if I choose one, then I set a DontDestroyOnLoad on the car chosen and Destroy the others right?

Or I guess it could be solved with adding code to the button that Instantiates the Prefab in the menu scene and adding a DontDestroyOnLoad to that Prefab.

5. SuryaPrakashModi

SuryaPrakashModi