Search Unity

Crowdsourcing assets for Wasteland 2 on the Unity Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey all!

Pretty cool news..inXile Entertainment and the Unity Asset Store and are pleased to bring you the Wasteland 2 asset crowd-sourcing event!

Wasteland 2 is an awesome fully fan-funded RPG being developed by the team at inXile entertainment. Core to development is fan involvement, and we are taking that to the next level! We welcome artists and modelers from around the world to join inXile and submit their amazing work to be considered for inclusion into the extremely promising game. That’s right, you can have your creation featured in Wasteland 2 and get paid for it!

Get started by downloading the Wasteland 2 Artist's Starter Kit on the Asset Store. u3d.as/3Jd

Learn more about it here! http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity

2. napster

napster

Do we need unity 4 must for this ?

3. jashan

jashan

That is, indeed, an awesome idea! I'm not really an artist, so I won't participate - but still I think it's a pretty cool idea!

4. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

My entry for the crowd sourcing.

3887 verts, 3730 tris, 1024 diffuse with spec in alpha, 1024 normal-map.
    $turret.png $turret wasteland2.png

5. AmbientGhe

AmbientGhe

Could you at least give people an idea of what sort of graphic look this game is aiming for? I don't model at all, but it would seem like a key piece of info ;)

6. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

It's key information indeed. The visual style specs are available in a PDF on their site:
    http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/images/unity/Wasteland2StyleGuide.pdf
    One sees it as soon as they take the time to read the instructions.

Especially important is the conclusion, which sums up the style they want: proportions that read well at a distance. They also give plenty of screenshots of sample assets for reference. Following the guidelines I ended up with this:

$turretscreenshot.png
    $Turrey.png

On most asset requests, they seem to go more with 'here's a rough idea of what we're looking for' rather than 'copy this drawing exactly as it is'. So even if more than one artist does the work there are chances that they'll take more than one version.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  7. ina

ina

I think it would be nice if they would let people self-assign themselves to each item, instead of having lots of duplicate submissions. (If they don't make it within 2 weeks, then they lose their place, etc.)

Also, 3D art style is more than what can be defined by a sketch... there are different texture shaders... nurbs-modeling vs poly-modeling.. the first if you want everything to look cartoony/rounded, etc... It's a neat idea, but they should define the style first.

8. dactilardesign

dactilardesign

From my experience, even a tight definition would bring to different stiles, one for each artist.
    The best way for freelancing is to have each artist with a tipes of prop (buildings- characters - props...)

9. duke

duke

Or just have some interactive list that shows how many people are working on what.

Also, I like that the deal is that you keep asset pricing in line with regular Asset Store pricing, as though you're creating a public, non-exclusively licensed item. Sneaky.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

That's because you are creating a non-exclusively licensed item. I know that making a viable asset for resale to others was a big deciding factor in which one I'd try my hand at.

For the very specific assets they'll be much better off going through the normal exclusive route (and paying the artists accordingly).

11. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

My turret got accepted :) I am very proud now :D

$OldTurret1.jpg $OldTurret4.jpg $OldTurret3.jpg $OldTurret2.jpg

12. nipoco

nipoco

Congratulations! That looks really nice.

13. gingir

gingir

14. Ullukai

Ullukai

15. CougarJo

CougarJo