Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset store terribly slow?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alan47, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Alan47

Alan47

Hello everyone,

I just tried to access the Unity Asset Store from within the editor and it was terribly slow. It needed like five minutes to bring up a single window, and another 5 minutes if you clicked some button. There were no downloads going on in the background on my machine and the overall network connectivity is pretty good, only the asset store lags. Are there any known problems with the unity servers having trouble to keep up with the requests? Maybe it was just bad timing... or could something else be wrong? Did that happen to anybody else so far?

Greetings,

Alan

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hi Alan,

This is somewhat a known issue, it can on some hardware take longer to launch the Asset Store due to dynamic loading of the Webkit, we are thinking of ways to workaround this but it looks like we also might be moving away form webkit altogether which could solve issues like this.

So, unfortuntaley you may have to put up with this for the short-term (really sorry about that), but for the long-term this will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Alan47

Alan47

Hi Chris,
    thanks for your response. Just as an additional information, the entire unity editor UI also completely freezes on my machine while loading the asset store window (I assume that this is not expected behaviour). I've already sent in a bug report on this topic. I hope that the issue can be resolved soon. Is there an official way to access asset store content via the regular webbrowser outside the unity editor? That would be really nice to have :)

Best regards,

Alan

4. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hi Alan,

That is also a known issue, but is not our intended behaviour, but it's related to the original problem which I explained above.

We see that request from a lot of users and it's something we have in mind for the future.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. code-blep

code-blep

Well it's great to hear that the problems have been noted and are at least marked for further attention. Especially as the Asset Store has been so bad over recent days. The web browser option is something that I have been craving for, especially if the filter/search options are improved.

6. SeviiArtProductions

SeviiArtProductions

Known lag, the last time I accessed it on a Windows Vista computer, it lagged.

7. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

When have Asset Store been fast? It is alllwaaayysss sooo laaaggyyyyyy

8. madmike6537

madmike6537

Having the same issue - I never have had it be slow like this was always at least reasonably fast. Seems like since unity 4 its insanely slow like over a minutes or two to load the home page. This is on a top end PC. Ouch :( Looking forward to the new changes I guess.

9. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Both issues (performance of in-editor view and browser-accessible version) are actually actively being worked on. Stay tuned :)

10. code-blep

code-blep

Great news!

Thanks for the update Rene, it's so good to know what is going on and makes the problem much easier to put up with!

11. Singtaa

Singtaa

I just installed Unity 4.0 on my Windows machine and am experiencing the same problem. It works fine on my Mac.

This basically renders the Asset Store unusable. Does it happen on all Windows Machines? It is a big problem if it does, isn't it?

If it only happen for certain hardware rigs, then is it possible for you to tell me what hardware issues are causing the problem?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  12. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

Hi Creepgin,

It works fine for me on Unity 4.0.0f7 / Vista(pc) as well as on Win7(tablet).

As Rene indicated it is a known issue and they're working on it.

Perhaps they'll give an update soon?

13. Singtaa

Singtaa

Cool, good to know. Hopefully, they'll update us soon. After searching around a bit, I think this issue has been around for over a month (right after the 4.0 release).

14. Alan47

Alan47

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mention that I had to reinstall my Windows 7 on my PC and afterwards I installed Unity 4. To my surprise, the asset store worked now without considerable lag - it seems to be a software issue.

For everyone who is still having troubles with a slow asset store: there is a Website now which allows you to view the asset store contents from your regular browser. If that also happens to be slow, the issue is definitly the Google Window Toolkit, since both the asset store in Unity and the website use that framework to display the graphical user interface. For me, both the website and the in-editor viewer work by now.

Greets,

Alan

15. code-blep

code-blep

I love the web version! Also Asset store has been behaving better for the last few days. Will post if it starts to slow down again.

16. Alexandros1313

Alexandros1313

same problems for me...

17. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

According to the official response then, it's a "Hardware" issue, right? That means that a simple format and reinstalling my OS shouldn't really help with fixing the asset store problems, am I correct? Have anyone tried so?

Thanks for your asnwer!

18. mgear

mgear

Asset store has been super slow this week..

19. mgear

mgear

this week and especially today, getting this alot:

"Unexpected Error

An unexpected error occurred, we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

The Asset Store development team has been notified and will investigate this issue further.

If this problem persists please submit a bug to us using the Bug Reporter tool available in the Unity Help menu."

20. Kami

Kami

I'm still getting this, anyone have a fix after all of this time?

21. Adreni

Adreni

Yeah it's closing in on a year and NOTHING... I'm finding it almost impossible to access the Asset Store at all because of this. It should be top priority to fix!

22. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

@Adreni, what hardware do you try to access the asset store on? mine is running fine right now...

As a workaround you can browse and also purchase assets from the browser version here: http://unity3d.com/asset-store

Also mentioned earlier in this thread is the move away from webkit, which will speed things up, this will happen in the 4.x cycle, sometime soon I hope.

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  23. devbr

devbr

I'm facing this problem since I have changed my OS from Windows 8 32 bits to Windows 8 64 bits. It seems webkit doesn't like 64 bits...

24. squidbot

squidbot

I've been having this problem starting about a week ago. The thing is, I haven't changed versions or anything, I've been running 4.2 since it came out and the asset store was working just fine. It just suddenly got really, really slow. The only thing I changed was logging in as a different user, but I did that a few days before it started running so slowly.

UPDATE: Actually,I just figured out that it's "running fine" it's just not repainting the view. I was playing around and discovered that if I resize the window it refreshes and I can see things. I can click in the search box, type (but not see what I'm typing) hit enter, resize the window, and I see the result. This is obviously non-optimal but at least I can get iTween now :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  25. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

What also helped some other user in the past was disabling virtual network adapters from installed VMs etc.
    We haven't been able to repro it on our end though so far :/

26. Dantus

Dantus

Yesterday was the first time that I had exactly that issue. The Asset Store was unusable slow. I realized I had an error message in the console, so I restarted Unity and it was working as expected. Unfortunately, I didn't copy the error message and can't tell you what it was.

27. mgear

mgear

Could you also fix the error while using firefox, its been there quite a while..(i've reported it but dont have the # here now)

"Unexpected Error
    An unexpected error occurred, we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.
    The Asset Store development team has been notified and will investigate this issue further.
    If this problem persists please submit a bug to us using the Bug Reporter tool available in the Unity Help menu."

in "minified-4.2-77438.js" line 730..

[Global Exception] TypeError: chromeAPI.timers is undefined ..console.error("[Global Exception] " + g);

28. Grespon

Grespon

Not only FireFox. In Chrome too, everytime..

29. jvil

jvil

When I'm using the Asset store on Editor frequently I'm ending up with SSL errors appearing on Console, sometimes it loads slow but it says I'm offline (when I'm not offline), then I need to close the Asset store window and open again and sometimes works, quite annoying. I'm using Unity 3.5.7.

With Chrome or any browser the Asset store works fine for me.

30. brazuca

brazuca

Same here using Windows. On Mac it never happens.

31. sotirosn

sotirosn

Mine is not just slow it is stuck. I have been trying to get to the page where I can download the new 2D platformer tutorial. I am so close I just need the download button to appear so it will be available for import. SO CLOSE to 2D yet so far away, lol. Also the home page does not load until I log out then log in again, then it loads instantly, but I cannot load a link further. There is something wrong in your code, something is timing out or losing the http response. Also you might want to allow downloads from regular browsers once a user has signed in and authenticated. Forcing us to go through the unity application is kind of silly.

32. Vapid-Linus

Vapid-Linus

Chris promised back in 2012 this would be fixed. Soon it's 2014 :/

33. geroppo

geroppo

Hi there, i've been having this issue since forever, and i just read this and disabled the hamachi network adapter, reopened unity and OMFG IT WORKS, for the first time in YEARS i can navigate in the asset store inside unity. amazing

edit: now i recall that the loading screen of kerbal space program on some machines could load things WAAAAAAY slower than it should, disabling network adapters (aside from the one you are using of course) also solved this issue. It is probably related to the one with the asset store

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  34. Count_Rugen

Count_Rugen

I've been learning Unity3D over the past few weeks and have encountered this issue repeatedly. Asset store works in Unity 10% of the time, at best. I have disabled all other network adapters except for my standard hard line connection. For Space Shooter demo game, I create a new empty project, then go to Assets search (w/in Unity) and search for "space shooter" on the Asset Store. When I click the "Import package" button I get the below error:

When I click the "Open asset store" button, I get a partial load of the pop-up window, but the progress bar up top never stops, er, progressing, with the text "Contacting Asset Store", and the page never fully loads. Checking console, I have these errors:

In the partially loaded Asset Store pop-up window, there is a "log in" button up in the top right. If I click on that (or any link on the partially-loaded page) then I get the familiar:

Ok...so I find the project in the web-based store online. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13866
    I click the "Open in Unity" button which pops up the old Asset Store pop-up window in Unity and get again:

I go back to the website again and make sure I'm logged in. I try to "Open in Unity" again and get the same error.

Thinking it may have something to do with pop-up blocking, I open Chrome, go to Settings--> Advanced Settings--> Content Settings and I turn off pop-up blocking completely. I close down and reopen everything. Same errors.

Maybe it's Chrome? I make IE the default browser and throttle every security and privacy setting as low as possible. I turn off pop-up blocker and protected mode. I make *.unity3d.com a trusted site. I restart everything. Exact same errors.

OK COMPUTER... (good album btw) I have 3 different VPN softwares installed (1 work, 1 personal, 1 for online classes/training). I uninstall all 3 and restart PC. Now I only have a single network adapter available (my hard line) and... I get the exact same errors when I run through the attempts above.

I just went through all the Windows logs. Nada.

I'm using Windows 7 w/ 8 GB of RAM. My install of Unity3D is only a few weeks old. I'm just trying to work through the tutorials here, I'm not asking for the world. I have nothing worth saving, so I'll definitely be the guinea pig for support staff.

Help?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  35. Count_Rugen

Count_Rugen

It works now?

From about 15 minutes prior to my initial post above, to about 15 minutes after my last edit to that post (roughly an hour and a half, give or take), the Asset Store didn't work at all within Unity3D. I finally used the bug reporting feature and reported this as a bug and went and had some coffee. I came back to my desk and and--since Unity3D was still open from the last time--clicked "Import package" again on a whim. It popped up the login box and worked like a charm. After import, I searched for "space shooter" again and clicked "Open Asset Store" button instead of "Import package." The Asset Store pop-up window not only loaded, it loaded in under a second.

I have no answers but am happy I can get back to learning! :)

36. zolaks

zolaks

I'd been experiencing the same problem. Mine was fixed by disabling any additional network adapters like Hamachi, VMware other than "Local Area Connection" as my attachment shows. Hope it works for you as well.

Attached Files:

GibTreaty likes this.
  37. bmdensmore

bmdensmore

Disabling other network adapters did the trick for me too - thanks for the tip!

GibTreaty likes this.
  38. vexe

vexe

This is killing me too. I don't get why do they require us to open the store from Unity and download/import that way.... why can't they just let us download/import the thing directly from our browsers? sigh

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  39. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Asset store performance inside the editor should be much improved in Unity 5 and should basically give the same experience as your regular browser.

vexe likes this.
  40. LoDx

LoDx

Unity3d-AssetStore-DLerror-Problem.jpg

Not so 'lucky' here, I'm on 300mb connection, been facing the headaches over past 1week+.
    - The screenshots above just to show you the actual situation I'm facing. I picked/test on those common assets eg Everplay (as I'm think a lot people use it ), & some free assets.
    - What's even worse is that I can't download those assets that I've purchased. ( not in the screenshot above).

Using : Unity3d 5.0.2f1 Personal
    System Info : Window 8.1 ; 64bit OS ; 16GB RAM ; Intel i7

So, how could I overcome this problem ?
    Thanks
    James

41. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

@LoDx
    If I understand correctly and interpret the picture correctly, you see most of the downloads failing but some of them succeed? Are there details in the Editor.log when a download fails? Also, does repeatedly downloading the same asset make a difference? Or will some succeed but others consistently fail?

42. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @Rene Damm ,
    Thank you for your kind & speedy responce.

1. There is no detail in Editor.Log for downloading activites.
    2. Repeating download attempts brind same result(s).
    3. In my tests/attempts, the success rate of downloading really random, with most case they failed (even after repeated attempts, restart unity, reset internet connection ..etc)
    4. Weirdy , last week I managed to download an asset with >1G in size after purchased it. (Initally failed, but succeeded after few tries, took me almost halfday)

Thanks again Rene !
    James

43. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Hmm, I see. Unfortunately, with Unity not divulging any information about what goes wrong where, that leaves very little to go on. Using a network sniffer would probably be the quickest way to find out what happens with the download.

Either way, I would recommend contacting support@unity3d.com directly in this case.

BTW, have you tried the same on Unity 4 by chance? Would be interesting to know whether that makes any difference. (Really shouldn't, though, as both are using the same download mechanism; but I think we updated libcurl for 5 so maybe there's something there)

44. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @Rene Damm ,
    Thanks for your responce.
    I just did a quick test on unity v4.6.5 .
    - it 'seems' slightly better. Managed to download some assets before it start to give errors & hang/stop progress. ( succeeded in downloading some, while Everyplay just stop at 34% )

Might it due to the assetstore cdn ( just wondering) ?
    - Viewing asset store thru browser is lightning fast, no problem at all.

Thanks
    James
    Unity3d-465-AStore-DLproblem.jpg

45. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

I definitely think that the problem lies somewhere on the route from the server to you but where exactly and why I don't really have an idea for. That's why I think a network sniffer that shows you how the respective parties are communicating with each other would be the quickest way to find out what's happening. Probably even the error response that we're getting from Curl would be insightful but apparently we're just swallowing that on the way from native to JavaScript :(

46. LoDx

LoDx

Hi Rene,
    Thanks for your kind response.
    ...unfortunately I don't have idea as to how to do/analyze on the network sniffer :(
    - I guess I just gonna keep on trying my luck.

Thanks anyway.
    James

47. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Yeah, certainly wouldn't be a routine assignment for me either :)

Sorry you're left hanging with that issue there. I still think it makes sense to try support@unity3d.com with the hope that someone from the asset store team can maybe help you further.

BTW, do you happen to be in China? Just wondering as I vaguely remember people having issues there with downloads.

48. LoDx

LoDx

Hi Rene,
    Thanks for your kind assistance. You have been of great helps. I appreciate alot for your kind & speedy response.
    - I just sent an email to support ...hopefully they could help figure out and solve the headaches.

I'm in Singapore, a tiny island/country with one of the speediest internet speed ( http://www.netindex.com/download/4,180/Singapore,-SG/ ).

Thanks Rene
    James

49. hh54188

hh54188

Hi, I am a new Unity developer in China, I meet a serious problem when learning Unity, which is any asset in Asset Store can not be download.

I think this is partly because of Chinese Great Fire Wall. But could your consider provide some other download resources, like using CDN? Some open source sample Unity Projects could put on the Github? But now I can only download form the Asset Store in Unity Software. Also it seems the Unity Software can't config any proxy. This make very sad.

50. LimingZ

LimingZ

Unity Technologies

hi hh, Unity China is striving to fix this problem. We have several options, including CDN, but I can't say too much about it for now. We believe this will be fixed in this year. So please wait for a few month, you could also submit your feedback to the Chinese forum, thanks.
    http://forum.china.unity3d.com/forum-56-1.html