Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Programming, where should I start?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by dtg108, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dtg108

dtg108

hey guys. I'm making a game at the moment, and I'm the team leader/animator/writer. I have a question. I want to learn how to program (for gaming, and eventually, hopefully, I can build an engine.) I know I will have to start small, but I want a language I can stay with so I don't have to keep switching around. What is the best language for me to start? NOTE: I know absolutely NOTHING about programming. NOTHING. What is a good language to learn?
    Thanks, guys.

2. Myhijim

Myhijim

UnityScript is easier to learn.

C# is what people want the most.

I'd suggest heading over to codeacademy really good website

3. TehWut

TehWut

check out my signature, shouldn't let you down!

4. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I would suggest you to start with programs for kids like BlitzBasic, RPG Maker, etc.
    Ppl say that with these tools you can learn the really basic stuff like what is a variable, types and so on.
    Don't try to start right from C++ or even .NET/Unity, the docs for these are not simplistic enough for new comers.
    With time you move on to more and more complex stuff.

5. Tim-A

Tim-A

6. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Myhijim, I'm doing the interactive codeacademy now, it's great!

7. khanstruct

khanstruct

BASIC and Visual Basic aside, I started with GameMaker. The functions are really simplistic and the documentation is incredibly easy to understand. I'd recommend you start there, then move to C# in Unity. Then you'll be able to start expanding into the more complex elements of C#.

8. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

if you want to learn general programming, I would suggest you learn C and Java. C is the base language for many modern languages and will better you understanding of them. Java is very useful to know, especially if you're going to use C#, as it is quite similar to Java. C++ is also a very useful language, especially if you want to create you own engine someday. If you're new to programming and will only be programming in Unity for a while, I would suggest you initially use with UnityScript, as it's quite easy to learn. C# is more powerful, however, and the newer Unity tutorials are in C#. Many tools and assets are also written in C# rather than UnityScript. C# currently has more documentation over the internet than UnityScript, as it isn't only used by Unity. UnityScript has good documentation by Unity, however. Don't just jump in, no matter what. As Bruno said, start with the easier, more straightforward languages and work your way up. You could even start with GameMaker to learn programming logic.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory