Search Unity

C#: typeof or is?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Harter, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Harter

Harter

Hi, developers!

What should work faster? What's better to use? Why?

1)
    Code (csharp):
    1.         CollisionBase t = Collided[Collided.Count - 1];
    2.         if (t is Human)
    3.             Debug.Log("H");
    2)
    Code (csharp):
    1.         Type t = Collided[Collided.Count - 1].GetType();
    2.         if (t == typeof(Human))
    3.             Debug.Log("H");
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. npsf3000

npsf3000

3. marcoantap

marcoantap

Hmm, so anObj.GetType() == typeof(string) is faster. Time to optimize code!

4. npsf3000

npsf3000

It's not the same functionality - that's far more important than performance optimisation. If either can work in your use-case it's time to benchmark.

5. Harter

Harter

6. npsf3000

npsf3000

Or... You can't use a Type in a switch statement as the error says. Don't compare apples and oranges.

7. Harter

Harter

Thanks for reply. But I don't get what should I do. I should use if statement or I could use switch statement, but in the different way?..

8. npsf3000

npsf3000

9. lordofduct

lordofduct

comparing the types though only lets you know if the type of your object is directly the other type.

it checks inheritance wise as well.

class A
    class B : A

B obj = new B();
    if(obj is A) //is true
    if(obj.GetType() == typeof(A)) //is false

timmccune likes this.
  10. marcoantap

marcoantap

Yes I read that in the article, in my case that optimization works just right and I tested it successfully. Thanks.

11. lordofduct

lordofduct

1 consider that the link that the stackoverflow thread refers to is using .net and not mono, you should test this first before assuming that it's going to be faster. The obj.GetType() == typeof(SomeType) is optimized by the jit, but mono is a different jit than the .net jit... so it might not get optimized the same way.

2... really? How often are you testing the type of something that this small optimization is giving you some edge?

You think this is "critical code"? Cause I'd beg to say that if this is a bottle neck in your code... your critical code would be the fact you can't write good code. Type checking like this shouldn't be common.

12. marcoantap

marcoantap

You are right. I just made my own benchmark for different types and the conclusion is very interesting. Finally decided to use one of the methods to compare types, thanks!

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Don't get bogged down in this type of "optimisation". It takes time away from you finishing your project and you don't even know that it's a problem.

Code that *looks* sub-optimal to a programmer's eye is often just fine as far as your computer is actually concerned because there's often bigger bottlenecks elsewhere in code or design, or because you don't actually have a performance issue in the first place and therefore all optimisation is moot.

Measure before you optimise, and only bother to optimise where the measurements show you're actually wasting resources.

14. marcoantap

marcoantap

It's ok, I didn't take it as a important optimization, it's just something easy to replace in the code, and easy to turn into a habit.

15. lordofduct

lordofduct

just don't let that habit cover over the fact that the functionality is different

16. marcoantap

marcoantap