Search Unity

Any good resources to learn how to make procedurally generated content?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by KingCrizzo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. KingCrizzo

KingCrizzo

I am very interested in making games that have procedurally generated content, specifically for puzzle games. However, as a novice at Unity and programming in general, my attempts thus far have been very messy. Given enough time I could probably cobble something together, but I would like to jump start the process by finding a good book or something that will help me wrap my head around the process as a whole.

Any suggestions?

2. foxter888

foxter888

i'm going to hop on this thread too since i wanted to learn about procedural development, now i know a bit but not enough i would say for example let's say you are making a side scrolled you could make 3 different sections and when the player moves forward a new area will instantiate a section and the one you left gets taken out, making it a infinite level that continues on. this is so far the little knowledge i have

3. KingCrizzo

KingCrizzo

Found this so far:

http://pcg.wikidot.com/

Most everything else I've looked at is articles on how to make your procedural code make better games. Nothing about making the code itself. What would really help is a simple example of a layered procedural level generator or something that I could look at to get a better idea of how to write my code.

4. foxter888

foxter888

in my case i don't have actual code, now like i mention before as in a example of a side scroller is more easier creating something procedurally that way, all it is just have a trigger or some form of way of registering where the player is at then if he for example reached a certain point then spawn that section of the level, you could make it to spawn different types of rooms, example if you where doing something similar as in a mario type game but in a side scrolling way.

now mainly most of the friends i have seen that are trying to create something procedually for some reason they tend to make games similar to minecraft lol

5. KingCrizzo

KingCrizzo

I'm creating a puzzle game where you have to move a sphere to a goal, but you can only go one direction at a time and move that direction until you collide with something. It's been done before, but I'm thinking if I can figure out how to make it happen it will look very good in my portfolio.

What I'm thinking is I will treat the play field like a 2D grid. I will generate a random path from a random start to a random finish on the grid, the number of moves would go up as you progressed through the levels. I'll store the coordinates of each square the sphere must travel to in an array. Place a block at the end of each move so that the path can be completed, then place a number of random blocks on the play field making sure that none are placed on the originally created path.

That would be the basics of it, but afterwards I would like to add stuff like teleports and blocks that you might have to move, or maybe keys or switches that do stuff as well.

Anyway it's looking like I will have to figure this out on my own.

6. foxter888

foxter888

what parts arent you able to figure out?