Search Unity

ZDatabase - Unity Database

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by merlin981, Nov 27, 2012.

1. merlin981

merlin981

Tired of those hard to use, long learning curve database packages for Unity? Need something quick and easy, that can store almost anything you can think of?

ZDatabase supports:
    * Saving strings, int, float, Guid, Vector2, Vector3, Vector4, and more
    * Read / Write functions that are easy to use. No pre-setup required
    * Works on all platforms (including Consoles!). PC, Android, iOS, Wii, XBox 360, and PS3
    * Encryption functions available as well. Every functions has an encrypted alternative as well. Encryption uses Rijndael 128 bit encryption

Demo scene included.

If you need any additional data types added, feel free to send a PM or post in the forum, and I will include in the next release.

http://u3d.as/content/rocket-games/zdatabase-unity-database/3G7

2. TechnicalSam

TechnicalSam

Quite interested in this. I have a project which is going to have to do some data visualisation of integer data recorded every day for an Android and iOS app. I was wondering what sort of performance limitations i'm going to have when it comes to long term use...

e.g. how many records can it store and 'SELECT * from recordedInts WHERE data > start and date < finish' and whats sort of response times will say 1000 records take to pull out?

Sorry for the crappy SQL pseudo but its easier to convey my need.

3. merlin981

merlin981

Hello TechinalSam,

That is a very good question. I put together a quick test to demonstrate write / read speed. I had it insert 100,000 records, then read the first, middle, and last records.

Insert speed does decrease as the number of record increases. I noticed the insert speed decrease around 60K records. At this time, it was inserting 150 records in about 800ms.

I ran this test on an Android Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. Speed should be comparable on a iPhone 4S.

Total time to insert 100,000 records: 402,085ms (40.2 seconds)
    Read time for first record: 0ms
    Read time for 50,000th record: 15ms
    Read time for 100,000th record: 33ms

The issue with the inserts is that the database has to be expanded to handle new records. All databases have to handle this, and I've done my best to optimize this for mobile devices.

I'm available if you have any further questions.

4. badawe

badawe

Works on web?

5. ZJP

ZJP

+1

Texture?

6. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, it works for web.

It does not currently support Texture, but I can add that if requested.

7. merlin981

merlin981

I've just uploaded a new version which supports Texture2D. It should be approved and in the asset store later today or tomorrow.

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

Does it support SQL syntax?
    If it supports web player, where and how is the actual data stored?

I'm looking at this specifically for a web player solution.

9. merlin981

merlin981

ZDatabase uses functions for each data type. I'm attaching the current documentation, so you can see how it works.

Attached Files:

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ok I went through the documentation.
    Aside from offering encryption, which is fairly trivial to implement, what does this package offer over simply using playerprefs to read and write data values?

11. merlin981

merlin981

The advantages are being able to quickly save / retrieve objects of different data types, without having to write your own custom serializers (since PlayerPrefs only gives you Int, Float, and String). The same advantages you will have with almost every PlayerPref alternative on the asset store.

If you need to use SQL statements, there are a few good embedded SQL databases on the asset store. I'm providing ZDatabase as an alternative to PlayerPrefs, and to make it easier for people to save/retrieve objects.

As I've already previously stated (and demonstrated above), if you need additional object types to be included, I'm happy to add them into new releases.

12. liverolA

liverolA

is this used for local database/remote database?

13. merlin981

merlin981

The database is stored on the same device as the game.

14. rooster

rooster

I just bought this thinking it was a full database but it looks like you can only store one field per record. Is that correct? Is there any way that I can store a bunch of fields in each record? (other that faking it by encoding it myself).

15. merlin981

merlin981

Can you give me an example of what you're trying to do? Are you wanting to store an array / List to a field, or something else?

I'm happy to add additional functionality and/or data types to ZDatabase.

16. BFGames

BFGames

Seems quite cool for single player games - and its cheap. Might buy it to save some time of doing it all myself!

17. Gorlog

Gorlog

dumb question i iknow but work with javascript variables?

18. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, it works with JavaScript as well.

19. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Looks really good. Does this also work with Flash .

20. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, ZDatabase does work with Flash as well :D

21. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great, do you know how it performs on Flash.

22. merlin981

merlin981

I assume you mean performance-wise?

I had previously answered a question about performance on mobile devices (see page one of this thread). I re-ran the test on a laptop (quad core 2.6 GHz, Windows 7, 8 GB RAM).

I had it insert 100,000 records, then read the first, middle, and last records.

As I explained in the previous post, insert speed does decrease as the number of records increase. The issue with the inserts is that the database has to be expanded to handle new records. All databases have to handle this, and I've done my best to optimize this for mobile devices.

Total time to insert 100,000 records: 154,042ms (15.4 seconds)
    Read time for first record: 0ms
    Read time for 50,000th record: 4ms
    Read time for 100,000th record: 9ms

I'm available if you have any further questions.

23. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Thanks.

1. Are you including code to access the Database, some sort of SQL-like language to access the data ?

2. What is the recommended best practice to store/retrieve a list of hierarchical data of different types ?

24. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

it will be helpful if it works on web player builds to use textures and texts

25. merlin981

merlin981

1. It is not SQL-like language, but a function for each object type. I linked the PDF documentation in the original post, and on the Asset Store page. For example, to write a Vector3, you would do:
    ZDatabase.Write("Name of Vector3 Object", Vector3);

2. For lists, there are three choices:
    a. Serialize the data to a byte array, then save using the byte[] overload of Write. ZDatabase.Write("Data Name", byte[]);
    b. Save each item in the list individually. First, you save the length of the list, then loop through each item.
    ZDatabase.Write("List Length", List.Length);
    for (i=0; i<List.Length; i++)
    ZDatabase.Write(string.Format("List Item {0}", i), List);

c. Let me know what type of list you have, and I can add a Write function to handle it.

26. merlin981

merlin981

The last update of ZDatabase included support for Texture2D.

27. EDarkness

EDarkness

So I purchased this database and now I'm wondering what the best way to input records is. Is there a way to use a web browser to do it, or do we have to do this all by hand? I guess I should have looked this up before I purchased, but I was under the impression there was something available for easy record input to build the database.

If not, then what would be the best way to build the database, especially if I'm looking at a thousand records for items (weapons, armor, trinkets, etc.) as well as NPCs and the like? I read the documentation which is good at describing how to use the commands, but it doesn't really get into creating the database in the first place.

28. merlin981

merlin981

The general method is to create a script that runs when the game loads (or perhaps delay running it until the player is at the start screen). The script will first check if the database is created, and if not, will create the default records.

You could use something like:

if (! ZDatabase.ReadBool("DefaultRecordsCreated", false))
    {
    // the default records have not been created, so begin creating them here

// the final line should set the created flag, so this block will not run more than once
    ZDatabase.Write("DefaultRecordsCreated", true);
    }

You can simply use the ZDatabase Write functions to create the records.

29. EDarkness

EDarkness

So there's no way to interact with the database outside of the game? Entering that many items in Unity is going to be difficult and I wonder if I made a mistake in buying this.

Can records be a combination of things?

For instance:

Item #: 1 (int)
    Name: Sword (string)
    Quality: rare (int)
    Damage Low End: 1 (int)
    Damage High End: 10 (int)
    Graphic: sprite (gui object)
    Model: sword prefab (prefab)

I would know how to set this up in a normal database, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it here, and even finding records I'm not sure about.

Sorry for the trouble, I should have done more research in the beginning.

30. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, records can be combinations. Below is an excerpt from an private message between myself and a user of ZDatabase. You can use this same principle for creating complex records in ZDatabase.

We'll create a class that only holds properties for each data item:

Code (csharp):
    2. public class PlayerStats
    3. {
    4.    public Guid UniqueID {get; set;}
    5.    public string Firstname {get; set; }
    6.    public string Lastname {get; set;}
    8.    // etc....
    9. }
    Then, we would add two functions to the class - serialize and deserialize, which will convert the class into a string (or binary array), and convert it back to the original class. Unity Pro supports true .NET serialization, but in general you want to avoid that since it takes much longer and includes more data than you need. Using the methods below works with both the Free and Pro versions of Unity...

Code (csharp):
    2. public string Serialize()
    3. {
    4.    return string.Format("{0}|{1}|{2}", UniqueID.ToString(), Firstname, Lastname);
    5. }
    7. public static PlayerStats Deserialize(string serializedData)
    8. {
    9.    // split the string
    10.    string[] tempStr = serializedData.Split('|');
    12.    // create the return object
    13.    PlayerStats retVal = new PlayerStats
    14.    {
    15.       UniqueID = new Guid(tempStr[0]),
    16.       Firstname = tempStr[1],
    17.       Lastname = tempStr[2]
    18.    };
    20.    return PlayerStats;
    21. }

Once you have these, you can call Serialize to save one record to the database. When you need to read the data, just call Deserialize:

Code (csharp):
    2. List<PlayerStats> ListOfStatsToSave = new List<PlayerStats>();
    4. // ListOfStatsToSave is populated first by the app / user
    6. // hold the number of records in ListOfStatsToSave
    7. int StatCount = ListOfStatsToSave.Count;
    9. // save the count to the database
    10. ZDatabase.Write("StatCount", StatCount);
    12. // save the data to the database
    13. for (int i=0; i < StatCount; i++)
    14. {
    15.    ZDatabase.Write(string.Format("PlayerStat_{0}", i.ToString().Trim()), ListOfStatsToSave[i].Serialize());
    16. }
    When you want to read the data later:

Code (csharp):
    2. // get the stat count
    3. int StatCount = ZDatabase.ReadInt("StatCount", 0);
    5. // holds the list of stats
    6. List<PlayerStats> ListOfStats = new List<PlayerStats>();
    8. // read data from the database
    9. for (int i=0; i < StatCount; i++)
    10. {
    11.    ListOfStats.Add(
    12.       PlayerStats.Deserialize(
    13.          ZDatabase.ReadString("string.Format("PlayerStat_{0 }", i.ToString().Trim())));
    14. }

Hope this helps

31. madnesslabo

madnesslabo

Is Zdatabase able to delete key? Such as PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll or PlayerPrefs.DeleteKey

32. merlin981

merlin981

Good question. Previous versions did support removing any keys. However, I just submitted a new version which has two new functions - RemoveField and RemoveAllFields. These will remove a single record, and remove all records.

The new build is in Asset Store review, and should be available later today or tomorrow.

33. madnesslabo

madnesslabo

Thanks!

34. EDarkness

EDarkness

Has this been removed from the Unity Store?

35. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

It's not in Asset Store anymore.

36. EDarkness

EDarkness

Strange. He just posted a week ago that a new build was coming. I wonder what happened....

37. merlin981

merlin981

My apologies, there is a problem with my store account, but the Unity rep is working on it. Everything should be back up on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank you for your patience.

38. merlin981

merlin981

Ok, the problem has been resolved and all assets are back online. The update for ZDatabase has also been published and should be available for download now.

Thanks

39. Michael316

Michael316

Does this work with the OUYA?

40. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, it does work on the OUYA.

41. bravo

bravo

Hi merlin,
    also work with windows phone?

42. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, it works on Windows Phone and Windows 8 as well

43. bravo

bravo

I've tried but during the windows phone build this error is returned:

Error building Player: Exception: Error: type `System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManaged` doesn't exist in target framework.

At the moment for me is not strictly necessary to use encryption. You can exclude the reference to the namespace of encryption and functions for platforms that do not support it? ( ex. with #if )

44. merlin981

merlin981

Quick fix for this issue:
    • Create a folder called Plugins
    • Find System.Security.dll in the .NET Framework folder. (NOTE: Make sure you get the 2.0 version. It's usually found at: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Security.dll)
    • Copy System.Security.dll to the Plugins folder

This should resolve the issue for you. Please let me know if it does not.

45. bravo

bravo

Replacing the dll error change:

Error building Player: Exception: Error: type `System.Security.SuppressUnmanagedCodeSecurityAttribute` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.SuppressUnmanagedCodeSecurityAttribute` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermission` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermissionAccessEntry` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermission` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermissionFlags` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermissionAccessEntry` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Permissions.KeyContainerPermissionFlags` doesn't exist in target framework.

System.Security.SuppressUnmanagedCodeSecurityAttribute is contained in mscorlib.dll that can not be overwritten because it is a dll name reserved.
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks

46. merlin981

merlin981

Do you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed? Also, try changing your Unity project to .NET 2.0 (not .NET 2.0 subset, which is default).

My first guess is that you don't have all of the .NET Framework 2.0 installed. ZDatabase doesn't use anything extra, only what comes with .NET Framework 2.0 and what is allowed by Unity.

47. bravo

bravo

Hi Merlin,
    the problem is not in the framework installed, but the wp8 target framework (everything works in the editor, is the build on phone that fails).

.NET API for Windows Phone does not support all namespaces of the "standard" .net 2.0 fwk:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207211(v=vs.105).aspx

The only solution that I see is to exclude unsupported functionalities for this platform or find an alternative way to do them.

48. merlin981

merlin981

I see. Ok. I'll get a new build out later today (tomorrow at the latest), with a solution

49. bravo

bravo

Fantastic!
    Thanks.

50. merlin981

merlin981

I've published an updated package for ZDatabase. I added a bundled package which you can extract, for using ZDatabase without encryption.

Please note, after you extract the No Encryption package, you'll need to delete the original ZDatabase folder (otherwise, you'll have duplicate name conflicts).

The package should be approved by Unity in the next few days.