Search Unity

How to instantiate an object at mouse position thanks in advance

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Benjamin6817, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Benjamin6817

Benjamin6817

Hello all!

So, I've been working on my project and development has been pretty steady, until one of our artist thought a level design system of sorts would be great. I, being one of the programmers need to make it, but constructing the mechanics have been severely painful, and I have painstakingly managed to pull out some working, but buggy code. I wanted to know what the easiest way to instantiate an object at the mouse position would be... After hours of Google searches, I can't find anything of much use. My old method used raycasts, I would make the ray variable set to the mouses position by passing it through a world space conversion. i.e.:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Ray ray = Camera.main.ViewportPointToRay(Input.mousePosition)
    It worked, but not well. It appeared as if the position was randomly incremented when I didn't move my mouse. Can someone tell me how I should go about this, or provide some API reference for something I can use? Thanks in advance. Also, please, if you find a solution that requires pro please do not post because our team is non-profit and cannot afford it.

Regards,
    Ben

2. Loius

Loius

Viewport seems to take a Vector3 in the range of 0>1 on x and y. If you send the command through ScreenToViewportPoint, then ViewportPointToRay, does that help?

(If you're in the editor, I believe you should use Camera.current and Event.current.mousePosition, instead of Camera.main and Input. If not, you're good with Input and .main)

3. Benjamin6817

Benjamin6817

About using Event.current.mousePosition, what seems to be the different between the two? Also, about Camera.current, if I used Camera.main and my camera is tagged MainCamera (it is by the way), then why does it matter? Thanks for all help, Loius.

Regards,
    Ben

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012