Search Unity

Getting started from scratch

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Seerex, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Seerex

Seerex

Hello all,

I'm thinking about diving into the Unity engine. Currently i'm in Xcode making games for the iOS devices, not using anything but plain Xcode, which means i know Objective-C.

I wanted to start using an engine to speed up the game making progress, and the possibility to create multi-platform games.

But i have no idea on where to start. I'm not an animator or designer, i'm a programmer (or atleast i want to be), but i still need to know how to hoock it all up, but i wont be spending time on creating models.

So where should i start? i'm completely new, i ONLY know Objective-c (and a little C).

I thought about http://www.amazon.com/Unity-3-x-Gam...?ie=UTF8&qid=1353571059&sr=8-1&keywords=unity

but not sure if it would be a good starting point? i like reading books, as it covers it all in the point of 1 persons view (or several persons), and i'm not a big fan of scooping around 10 different tutorials presenting it in 10 different ways. (i don't mind this technique for specific subjects, but not as a learning-curve).

Hope i made sense, and thanks on advance. In short: New programmer / game developer, knows objective-C / C, help me get a good start :)

On a side note: Can i start out with the free unity one for practice?

Thanks
    J.B.J.

2. artzfx

artzfx