Search Unity

FBX Editor

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by atmuc, Nov 19, 2012.

1. atmuc

atmuc

most of assets for unity is fbx. i use blender. it has no fbx importer. i try to write an importer with autodesk python fbx sdk. i noticed that blender cannot import everything that fbx offer like ambient color per material. i used/studied blender for 2 years. i love it's many features and now easily use them. because of this fbx problem i want to change my 3d editor. i examined cheetah 3d and did not like it. i know maya is very good but it's price is too high for me. can you suggest an editor that has no high price.

2. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Is their anyway to edit an FBX, animation ?

3. atmuc

atmuc

with external editor like maya you can edit it.

4. atmuc

atmuc

i consider buying lightwave3d. do you have any comment?

5. PatBGames

PatBGames

You can try this plugin to export any model from Unity3D to the Collada format :
    http://u3d.as/content/fl4re/collada-dae-exporter-for-unity/3cC

Blender3D can import Collada models, even with animations, it's the way Mixamo use for offering their services to Blender3D users. Unfortunately, the Blender3D Collaba importer is very poor. I've tested the plugin mentioned above and contacted the developer, there are some issues, but I think it is the most promising solution to import animated models from Unity3D to Blender3D.

Edit :
    Added link to the Asset Store Forum :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148456-RELEASED-COLLADA-Exporter-v1.1-now-available

6. atmuc

atmuc

what i need is to directly edit fbx and save it as fbx again. i bought modo. it will be my main 3d editor.

Haxel0rd likes this.
  7. atmuc

atmuc

modo cannot import animations properly. i am still looking for a fbx editor. is there any lightwave user here?

8. Yiorgos

Yiorgos

The latest Blender release supports FBX import. I haven't tested it yet, but if you 're still struggling with FBX editing, ou could give it a try :)

9. atmuc

atmuc

i bought modo 701. with latest sp and additional script it is not perfect but very good now.

10. Pix10

Pix10

Modo's FBX transport (in/out) has always been a little ropey, but they've improved it a lot so stick with it (sounds like you've already bought it anyway).

But the only place you'll get rock solid FBX support is in Autodesk's products, particularly Maya Motionbuilder (which is the origin of the FBX format, back when it was Filmbox, before Autodesk swallowed it up).

Of course, when I say rock solid, it still feels like quicksand sometimes.

11. grrr

grrr

12. tswalk

tswalk

did you take a look at Maya LT.. has a trial you can check out, plus some interesting shader toolkit (ShaderFX).?

http://area.autodesk.com/mayalt

oh, nvm.. I see this was a resurrection.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013