Search Unity

Unity 4 is out!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Nov 14, 2012.

1. maidamedia

maidamedia

Already tried but it is the same.Thanks angel_m!

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This feature will be available at some point during the 4.x release cycle.

I would e-mail support@unity3d.com and include the error you're experiencing.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

SetActive works fine. It does require that existing projects be updated, but that's not hard (just a bit tedious).

--Eric

4. maidamedia

maidamedia

The error is: "type==kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") !=0"

5. unitydvr

unitydvr

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

David,

Please could we have an official announcement about the proposed gambling license restrictions for Unity 4.
    Can you please define what is considered gambling, and what about games of skill? There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. If you could clarify and give us some examples of what is allowed, and what is not allowed, that will help a ton.

Thanks, and once again congrats on the Unity 4 milestone!

7. spacefrog

spacefrog

Whoa - i was not aware of that part in the EULA and i see that this isn't there in the 3.x EULA. Additionally i agree, it's formulated in the most unspecific way i can imagine. would that mean it would not be allowed to develop a Web or Mobile based skill game with my Unity 4 pro license and sell it to a gambling service provider ? Or would that mean the gambling service provider would have to license Unity ? Not that i currently plan this to do (sell a game to one of those providers, there are some big of them in Austria), but limiting me to NOT being allowed to sell my game to anyone who wants to pay me for this, would be a big cut in the Unity pro license's value in my eyes...

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

TL;DR: it's "gambling" if it falls under gambling related regulations. http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/12/04/unity-and-gambling/

9. Meltdown

Meltdown

10. hxx2010

hxx2010

new gui
    4.1?
    4.2?
    5.0?

11. JakeT

JakeT

Same question here...

12. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

6.0?

13. Aurore

Aurore

The GUI will be out when it's ready, this will be during 4.x.

14. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I am taking this as a promise and will hunt you down if you let me down :( :).

15. hitechito

hitechito

Many Congratulations! Looking forward to playing around with it! Very Good

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  16. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

rocking unity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Metron

Metron

I've something like a "Déjà vu"...

18. Lukas_GMC

Lukas_GMC

When can we expect to have body masking and IK control for non-biped creatures?

19. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

I Work in a company that build some softwares in delphi, and now they are researching Unity3D!, my dream is to someday have a personal copy in my home!, Unity3d is a incredible tool!, some times ago i was playing with UDK and CRYengine they has good results also, but unity3d amazes me, i am hypnotized by it, the workflow is genious!, the assets store is great!,

Many thanks unity team! and good luck!, i truly hope to see some kind of Unity3D Cinema Edition soon!, i really want to see unity tech with great profits! you deserve it, unity3d is a great creation!

Many thanks!

20. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

When is an updated version of Unity 4.0.0 planned. The current release version has a bug with exporting substances to textures on which I rely heavily. Using the substance Player or designer for this is a time consuming workaround.

Peter.

21. Aurore

Aurore

Have submitted a bug regarding this issue? If so what is the bug number.

22. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Aurore,

I will file a bug but following this thread from Allegorithmic it should be already a known issue (last posting): http://support.allegorithmic.com/node/906

Peter.

Here is the case number/name: (Case 512546) -e 1) Substance bitmap exporter function fails

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  23. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I downloaded yesterday 4.0.1 and the problem is fixed :)

Peter.

24. Aurore

Aurore

Awesome, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

25. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Why is my current Unity installation not able to detect the new update? With the checkbox checked and manual clicking 'Check for updates' it says I'm still up to date with version 4.0.0f7.

26. D_Jennings

D_Jennings

Congrats! I am ready to start using it.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The auto-updater mechanism never responds to new versions until some time after the release, so just in case there are severe issues the release can be pulled, hopefully without having affected too many people.

--Eric

28. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Ah I see, sounds reasonable.

Thank you Eric.

29. lh

lh

Are there plans for a 4.0.2? I just reported a crash in the player during scene change, and it would be nice to see it fixed before 4.1 comes out. (Aurore, if you're curious it's Case 516518, and I'm seeing it on 4.0.1. Not hard to reproduce.)

30. Aurore

Aurore

Thanks for that, we've got your bug. If we need any more information we will request it, at this time I do not know what milestone a fix would be introduced.

31. WarbladerToo

WarbladerToo

For the 4th time it's by pure luck that I found out that there was an update released. Now it was for v4.0.1. The "check for new version" inside Unity is not worth a dead rat to me and can obviously be trusted at all.

And why can't you post a release date on the various updates (on the webpage) ??

It can't be that hard to get this working?

32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

WarbladerToo: I think this has been covered a number of times, in this thread included. As a precautionary measure, the auto-updater has a deliberate built-in delay between release of the product and the auto-update message firing. This is to insure against widespread distribution of a problematic update. The first few days are more quiet to make sure that the update is successful, then the auto-updater will kick-in and notify users in a wide spread manner.

If this is not to your satisfaction, then perhaps a feedback request to Unity might be in order? If this is a big issue for most users, I'm sure that the feedback topic will rocket to the top.

33. WarbladerToo

WarbladerToo

But when was v4.0.1 released? Days or weeks ago?

34. spacefrog

spacefrog

Hey Edgar,
    Don't be to harsh on them ( Unity ). I for one take it as my own responsibility to click the DL link from time t o time to see what version is coming down...How's Warblade MKII coming along ? Just bought Warblade I recently ( cause it really is THAT good ...) and i know it back from Deluxe Galaga days ...
    cheers, Josef

35. Arowx

Arowx

What about a "Cutting edge updates please" toggle box in Unity's "Check for Updates" window?

36. Mikie

Mikie

I would like to send David an email. dhelgson@hotmail.com does work. What is it David don't take emails anymore?

37. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You think the CEO of Unity still uses a Hotmail account? ;-)

I'm not going to post David's email here, but you can probably guess it's _______@unity3d.com.

38. kenshin

kenshin

LOL

39. Warprime

Warprime

Awesome. I have it downloaded, now I just need to fire it up and check it out. =)

40. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Can't say I'm that happy with the new version.

My old projects don't work on it, I normally use 2.6 but for collaboration purposes I upgraded to 4.1.

I have a random number for the AI, that doesn't work.
    All the standard assets are somehow gone, so half of the game objects don't work.

I'm sure there are a lot of people with problems, and I know the changes are written somewhere.
    But for now I'll be going back to an older version since I only use basic game functions.

41. orb

orb

That's a huge version difference! You've skipped over many smooth (and some not so smooth), gradual improvements. Small, incremental updates to Unity would have given you a chance to keep up and modify your projects where necessary. There will be some point in time where the old engine probably won't even produce binaries which work on a current operating system. Better be ready for that :)

42. lzt120

lzt120

I wonder what is the date to release New GUI System as show in Unite 12 ?

43. Arowx

Arowx

I think they are aiming for a stellar / excellent release, but IMHO, a basic extensible GUI like that shown in Unite 12 would be gratefully received by the community.

And Unity do now have a faster more iterative release cycle so new features could be added and improved upon. It might be performance anxiety they have promised and re-promised a GUI so they are probably very concerned about getting it right.

I think most developers here would be happier with a basic but extensible GUI framework.

44. jashan

jashan

Personally, I've had the greatest issues with going from "pre 3.5" to "3.5". So it might not quite be 4.1 that's causing you pain but 3.5. Upgrading from 3.5 to 4.0 or 4.1 never caused me any issues ... but ... YMMV ;-)

45. SevenBits

SevenBits

Heh heh yes!

46. lzt120

lzt120

If the New GUI SYSTEM can be released on Unity 4.9 that means we still need wait about 18 month at least....

47. Nendrel

Nendrel

I¨ve got the same error:
    $screenshoot2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nendrel:

Are you using the copy of AngryBots that came with 3.5? Or are you using the version of AngryBots that came with the 4.x download?

As this is Unity 4.x, a new version, you should make sure you are using the version that is optimized for that version.

If you have a game of your own that you have made in 3.5, and some element is not updating properly to 4.x, please let us know and we'll see how best to fix your game.

49. Nendrel

Nendrel

I am using AngryBots version of Unity 4.1.5f example project. That was my result on my PC, but when I build and run the project on my Android Device (Samsung Galaxy S3) i have better performance (no glitches) on that texture but it has not reflection as you showed me.

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Best suggestion I have at this point is to download a new copy of AngryBots from the AssetStore. You can get to this in-editor from with Window/Asset Store, or cmd/ctrl + 9.

This is the web link for non-editor access:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/1695