Unity Community

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Kentucky, USA

'Not Dead Enough'- a zombie apocalypse simulator- now in production!

Hey guys, I'm Dakota Grossman, Lead developer at KIA interactive and we are happy to annouce that "Not Dead Enough", a zombie apocalypse simulator, is now in production! Here is our gameplay ideas so far as well as screenshots of our work.
    What is Not Dead Enough
    Not Dead Enough is a survival game during the apocalypse. After thinking for a while, weíve realized that so many games have been made where you stand around and blow endless waves of zombiesí heads off. Iíve decided that itís time for a change. Our game will be less of a shoot Ďem up and more of a ďsimulator.Ē This means surviving by looting houses, eating, sleeping, drinking, boarding up walls, and basically, surviving the apocalypse.
    Story
    After thinking for a while, Iíve decided to integrate a story into this game. However, it will be your choice. For example, during the story, you might find someone who asks you to do a task that effects the game later on. Our story mode is still in the thought process.
    Survival
    This is where everything is. Like I said before, itís not standing around blow endless waves of zombiesí heads off. Itís surviving. Itís eating, drinking, sleeping, shelter on several HUGE maps. You can explore different maps from forests to big cities. This isnít an arcade game anymore, itís a simulator. This game will also have a day and night cycle.
    Multiplayer
    This will be the best but most challenging part to make. However, itís going to be the best part. During survival, you can choose to do single or multiplayer. If you choose multiplayer, you will be on a map with other people. The rest is up to you. Will you have them join your team, or will you shoot them so they wonít take all of your food? The choice is yours, whether you want to form a team or be a one man army.
    System
    Our programmer is implementing a "system" into the game. Think of it as a game engine inside of the unity engine. Here is what it features:
    Customizable character option- Create the character how you want it.
    MMO option- choose from several servers as you play with hundreds of other people.
    Charatcer Darkness- Depending on the character you make, he can become very dark, or a saint.
    Much More! Here is a video of what he's done so far:
    http://youtu.be/1jg6Vbbu_Mk
    Our Team
    Here are the people we have:
    Lead Level Design/3D artist- Tobias
    Gun Design/Artist/expert- James Nucci
    Programmer- Marco Alverado
    Graphics Design- Saif
    Music Composer- Thorton
    Sound Design- Rob Tetra
    Terrain Modeler- August Taylor
    3D artist- Mark
    Our Style
    We are trying to go for a DayZ style, except in a full-fledged game.
    Our Work so Far
    Here is a gas station we're working on:
    Name:  Gas%20Sign.jpg
Views: 8964
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  gaspump.jpg
Views: 9038
Size:  252.2 KB
    Also, here's a katana animation:
    Name:  bandicam 2012-11-10 12-39-44-935.jpg
Views: 9220
Size:  264.4 KB
    Glock for game, made by James:
    Name:  glockgun.jpg
Views: 8921
Size:  59.2 KB
    House:
    Name:  houseuntextured.PNG
Views: 9056
Size:  231.2 KB
    Wrap-up
    That's it so far guys! WE hope to have the game done sometime in 2013, we'll keep posting updates! Also, the game will be a DOWNLOAD game. We would really like ideas, suggestions, comments, and constructive critisism so we can continue making our game better and better. Thanks!

UPDATE: By the 28th of February, we will start the beta. Cars, certain parts of maps, and a couple other things will not be in beta. See the BETA map here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28501152/Cus...WebPlayer.html
    Last edited by dtg108; 02-08-2013 at 08:13 AM.

2. Location
    Kentucky, USA

3. Location
    London, UK
    OK here are some ciritic points...

Your props are lacking ambient occlusion. Please bake ambient occlusion into props and buildings, things will look soooo much more realistic.

4. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Thanks for replying chaoss, we'll try it and post some pictures sometime soon!

5. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    UPDATE: Here is the final version of the gas pumps and the roof over them. We are currently having the terrain built and should have a rough draft of it for you soon!
    Name:  gasstationfinalroof.png
Views: 8057
Size:  1.32 MB

6. Posts
    Are you using DAZ figures in your game or just using them to edit your animations? If you are using them, I think you'll have problems getting them down to a size that is suitable for use in a MMO. Generally when I try to decimate them down below about 25k tris, I get all sorts of deformities to the mesh.

7. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Thanks Drew, I'll have to look into that, I didn't realize that.

8. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Drew, there's something called a decimator for DAZ that lets you reduce the poly count, did you try that?

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtg108 View Post
    Drew, there's something called a decimator for DAZ that lets you reduce the poly count, did you try that?
    Yep. I am probably the resident expert on using DAZ models in Unity. Decimator only works to a certain point. Once you go past that point, the models are a useless mess of broken UVs and misplaced polys. The generation 4 models all have LOD models down to 1000 polygons (2,000 tris) but the clothes and props don't generally have LODs and are often millions of polygons.

If you haven't already gotten your license for DAZ models, I'd recommend spending that $500 on models that are ready to be used in Unity- unless you are like me and have thousands of their models already, having been collecting them for more than 10 years.

10. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    So pretty much, I have to use another program for models or pay $500 dollars that I don't have? That's a bummer.. looks like there will soon be a classified for character artists...

11. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtg108 View Post
    So pretty much, I have to use another program for models or pay $500 dollars that I don't have? That's a bummer.. looks like there will soon be a classified for character artists...
    You can use the program just not the models they sell unless you have a license or team up with someone who does. If you go to ShareCG.com and look for models with a "Unrestricted use" license you can find a few figures and lots of props that can be used in DAZ studio and games for free.

12. Location
    Kentucky, USA

13. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Also, if you fill out this survey, it will help with some ideas for our game! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SDRfMmhDLWc6MQ

14. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Thanks to some new character artists for our game, we have character hands that I will upload in a bit.

15. Posts
    im seriously looking forward for this i can even join the project in the prop making? o.o contact me via PM please

16. Location
    Florida
    The pump models need some serious retexturing, the texture isnt good and the weathering of the objects looks like it has some crazy deep scratches all over it like it was dragged for miles behind a vehicle. The sign looks good, which is interesting. Is the same artist doing all the props?

17. Location
    Turkey / istanbul
    nice project! i make always simple textured games but good looking :d keep it up

18. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    We are now in the making of guns, anyone have any ideas

19. Location
    Florida
    Forget the models and work on gameplay. You can add models anytime, adding gameplay is nothing easy. Your game can be as shiny as any AAA game, but if it plays like crap, it will be noticeable in the first minute or two and wont be played after that.

20. Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Yea, I know that. However, our programmer is building something like an engine inside of unity that our game mechanics will run on. After that, we will start on the gameplay

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast