Search Unity

[ Re-Released ] Storm Effects for the Shuriken Particle System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WeBee3D, Nov 8, 2012.

1. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Reintroducing Storm Effects for the Shuriken Particle System!

Price reduced... Now only $20.00!

Available now in the Unity Asset Store.

The Storm Effects particle pack includes:
    • Awesome tornado effect made possible by Shuriken
    • Over 20 scenes with light, medium, and heavy varieties
    • Drag-and-drop prefabs to quickly add effects to your scene
    • Source PSD files to modify particles

Get ready to be blown away, all over again!

Storm Effects changed Publishers from Mythos Labs to WeBee3D. All Mythos Labs Storm Effects purchases and updates will be supported by WeBee3D.

- WeBee3D

2. kenshin

kenshin

Hi WeBee3D,

is planned any new cool update for this package?

Kenshin

3. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi kenshin,

Storm Effects is mostly complete. There will be updates for future Unity releases to ensure the package is operating with new Unity features.

It is possible there will be further "cool" updates in 2013, but there is no formal plan for this yet.

What would you like to see? ;)

4. jesta

jesta

The effects really need proper scaling with Unity's default scale. All the effects are way too small.

5. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi jesta,

Most people seem happy with the scale. The effects were generated with scale in mind. However, they are intended to encompass only the "near area" around the scene camera, for performance reasons. This is generally how effects like snow, rain, and wind are used in games. Perhaps your project has different needs?

Would it be possible for you provide an example to illustrate how you'd like to see the effects utilized for your game project? It is possible I could look into making this package more open ended to accommodate different scenarios of weather effects.

Thanks!

6. kenlem

kenlem

Does this have real time lighting? I currently have a game where everything is using baked lights and light probes. There are no real time lights at all and I want to keep it that way. Will this work in my case?

7. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi kenlem,

Yes, this should work well in this case. While there is a directional light included in the the example scenes, it is merely to add lighting for the example terrain. Real-time lighting does *not* apply to the particles.

You may decide to tweak fog color values, textures, and Shuriken settings to accommodate the look and needs of your game.

Overall, Storm Effects is designed for ease-of-use and performance for desktop and mobile games. There is nothing overly complex or intensive. Just nice looking particle effects for your project! ;)

8. hongliyu2002

hongliyu2002

Hi, I bought Storm Effects 1.0, but I found I can't update it to 1.1. Maybe the publisher is changed?
    How can I update this package to 1.1?
    I like it very much.. Please help me.

9. xandeck

xandeck

Hello WeBee...

Is this working already with Unity4? This works good with a moving camera? I mean, any thoughts about this in a place where I can a roof and does not need to rain in certain places?

Thanks

10. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi WeBee3D,

We also bought this package of the original publisher (Mythos Labs), it would be great if we are entitled to the package updates as well (that's why we bought it through the asset store).

11. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hello,
    I am working on sorting out a good solution for keeping Storm Effects customers updated with the latest version. I'll let you know how we're going to handle this as soon as I find out more information.

Anyone who purchased Storm Effects is entitled to all future updates. Thanks!

Also, I finally got around to installing Unity 4.0, and happy to announce Storm Effects seems to run exactly the same as previous versions.

World Collisions (non-planar)
    The main feature added in Unity 4.0 that benefits Storm Effects is the new World collision for Shuriken Particles. The particles will now collide with world terrain geometry. I tested it out just now and it works with the rain and snow particles colliding with the default terrain mesh.
    Note: the collision is not perfect. Some particles appear to collide slightly above or below the world terrain, however this is probably done to help performance. I could look into making the collision better and more accurate in a future update.

A few people had asked about world collisions before, so hopefully you are able to reassign your collision mesh from "planes" to "world" in the Particle System-->Collision tab. I can provide more detailed instructions on how to do this, if necessary.

12. fano_linux

fano_linux

This is amazeing... just one question, i saw the video and it's very good, but the clouds are in the night environment. How about a demo with a Sun and the clouds to see if it feel good.

Thanks

13. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi fano_linux,

I'll add this idea to the list of future Storm Effects updates. The cloudy skybox contains a dusk/dawn sunrise/sunset, and appears darker due to fog settings. It is actually meant to be a stormy daytime.

Thanks!

14. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Can we have an update on this please? What procedure to follow to get the updated asset?

15. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Due to switching publisher names from Mythos Labs to WeBee3D, I'm going to be updating the "Mythos Labs" Storm Effects customers manually. "WeBee3D" Storm Effects customers will be able to update as usual, via the asset store.

If you purchased Storm Effects under the Mythos Labs name and would like the most current version, please send an email to:

info@webee3d.com

Thanks for your patience.

Note:
    Storm Effects 1.1 update was minor. This was not a major update and there was not any new content added.
    * The package was tested for Unity 4.0, particularly for particle/terrain collisions. (collision works with 1.0 and 1.1 in Unity 4.0+)
    * The price was reduced.
    * Updated the text README file.

16. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks you WeBee3D for making the latest package available for old customers.

17. kenshin

kenshin

Hello WeBee3D,

email sended!

Thanks
    Kenshin

PS: I think that Unity guys must fix the asset store problem because I can't more download the old package from the asset store.

I think this is wrong because I have payed for it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  18. gecko

gecko

This is a terrific package, but I need to scale down the tornado to about 1/4 size, and can't figure out how to do that. Is it possible?

19. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

20. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the quick tip. I got Particle Scaler and it works beautifully -- and super easy to use. I'm all set!

21. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

22. ZINI-NGR

ZINI-NGR

Hi, I have a question. How about the performance in mobile device? (draw calls, framelate, etc..)

23. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

Is it possible to add lightning?

24. BES

BES

I have questions ... can I easily have an automatic weather cycle with this asset?

if so can I add this to large scale planets with a gravity system?

trying to make my planets epic...but don't want to spend tons of money on a weather system that works with the planets....also im not very good with C# or Java yet.. or I would just do it myself..

25. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi BES,

Storm Effects does not include any kind of weather cycles. You are purchasing weather related particle effects that are simple to drop into your project.

Hi SimtropBuggi,

I have not experimented with adding lighting to the Storm Effects particles.

Hello ZINI - NGR,

Storm Effects performs well on mobile platforms. Originally it was tested on iPhone 4 and iPad 2 where it performed well. There was a framerate hit when you combine all the Storm Effects together to create a super storm. However, the individual effects perform well on mobile. You may need to optimize for draw calls depending on your particular usage.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions.

Best Regards

26. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Is there anyway to add a thunder and lightning effect, cause that will just complete the package completely, well that and a blizzard/sandstorm effect. With those 2 effects added this package would really be the ultimate weather solution for Unity.

27. Yog-Shoggoth

Yog-Shoggoth

Hi,

I had a quick question regarding the rain collision/splashes, do they work with mesh objects? For example if I had a vehicle or building in my level could I have have the rain interacting with it in the form of splashes?

28. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Thank you for the suggestions. I have considered these ideas myself and think they are good ideas. Currently the Storm Effects package is final. However, I would like to create more content for the Asset Store at some point. I'll see what I can do in 2014. Thanks for your support!

29. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Yes, this is possible. However it does require some effort to make the collisions work correctly. Basically, you need to apply the mesh object name to the particle effect within the collision tab. Once this is done, it should work correctly.

30. Yog-Shoggoth

Yog-Shoggoth

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad to hear this possible.

31. lazygunn

lazygunn

This was part of my xmas unity splurge, looking forwards to seeing it doing things!

32. OneThree

OneThree

This asset looks pretty great, but it's coming up on two years without an update. I want to use it in Unity 4.5 (and likely 5.x by the time this game is released).

Does it work in 4.5? Are there any plans to support it for current/future versions of Unity?

Thanks!

33. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hello OneThree,

Thanks for your questions.

Q: Does it (Storm Effects) work in 4.5?
    A: Yes, Storm Effects works with Unity 4.5.

Q: Are there any plans to support it for current/future versions of Unity?
    A: Yes, Storm Effects will continue to be supported. I'll make a post on this forum if future support changes for some reason, however the Storm Effects package is still somewhat popular and will be supported for all future versions of Unity, including the major 5.x release.

Thanks! I hope this helps answer your questions.

If you like Storm Effects, check out Super Effects, also developed by WeBee3D.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15809

Please rate and add a positive comment if you like our Unity Assets Store products.

34. OneThree

OneThree

Another question: does this package include any scripting of the particles, or is it a collection of Shuriken presets? I'm specifically curious about the heavy snow setup; it it possible to change the direction and amount of horizontal movement of the blowing snow?

As in, a medium storm blowing the particles at a 30 degree angle and a heavy storm blowing them at 60 degrees, etc.

I know that scripting access in Shuriken is limited (i.e. pretty much non-existent), which is why I'm asking if Storm Effects has additional tools.

35. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Storm Effects is a collection of prefabs and assets. There are no special tools or scripts used in this asset package.

It is possible to change the direction and amount of horizontal movement via Shuriken. If you can familiarize yourself with the particle settings it should not be too difficult to achieve a wide variety of effects. However, they will not be dynamic unless you code that yourself.

You could trigger one effect and then another to blend the prefabs and make it appear to change, but if you are looking for a dynamic sliding scale of effects, then this might not be the solution for you. I've found the simplest solution is often best for making games and often times the heavy-handed complex solutions may not always be what you're looking for, even though they seem like an easy way to solve a problem.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Let me know if you have more.

36. OneThree

OneThree

Yep, that answers my question. Unfortunately, most Shuriken properties are not available via script at runtime; so while it's possible to edit the assets and prefabs in the Storm Effects package in the editor and save off new/modified versions, there's no way to change a lot of the properties at runtime via C#.

This isn't a limitation of Storm Effects or a problem with the asset itself, btw, it's a global (and much-maligned) limitation of the Shuriken system itself. :-/

37. Recon03

Recon03

I would love to buy this, but I do not like the fact this has not been touched in years, even if something does not need update it still should be updated to keep up with the times. I may still buy it, but I like to know if there are any plans to update this at all, if so what are the plans.. I dislike that its limited since its using the old system for runtime. That's what has me debating to save the money and get something more up to date.

Any information would be great before I buy. Thanks! Looks great though for something so old.

38. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

Hi Recon03, thanks for writing. I'll try address your concerns.

Storm Effects is essentially a content pack of Shuriken particle prefabs. There is no scripting involved. It's meant for use in final games and a fast way to add particle effects for prototypes. There are levels of detail for mobile games that run well on iOS and Android, in addition to more medium sized versions for other platforms.

The package has been tested on both Unity 4 and 5 to ensure that everything works fine. Shuriken is still the primary method for creating particle effects for Unity, so until that changes Storm Effects will function as it should, and take advantage of your current Unity version optimizations and performance.

There are no plans for updating this package at this time. However, I will ensure that it works as it should for all future Unity updates. Lastly, there are still many people using older versions of Unity, so it can be helpful to be backwards compatible. (This may change with Unity 5 Personal being free)

Thanks for considering purchasing this asset. Let me know if I can help with any further questions.

39. hopeful

hopeful

Not so many people using older versions of Unity, I suspect. Past data revealed that a huge percentage of users are on the most recent two updates. With Unity 5 being such a big leap forward, giving indie users access to previously Pro-only features, my guess is that very shortly we'll have at least 75% of the user base on U5.

40. lidgen

lidgen

Hi

I bought Supper Effects, the Order No. is OR301774680. The problem I met is about integrating SU Fun Confetti Burst LR.prefab to my project. This prefab is good and I don't think any changes needed. But when I put it into my project, it looks too big to fit into the screen (iPhone). I don't know how to fit it with little change. Could you give some ideas? I tried to change the size and speed and a lot, but that would mess up because changing too much just make it more complicated.
    Thanks

Lidgen

41. WeBee3D

WeBee3D

42. lidgen

lidgen

Thanks, I will try it