Search Unity

Commercial use of assets from Assets Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ness, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Ness

Ness

Hi all,

I`ve tried to went through "Asset Store Terms of Service and EULA" but as english is not my native language I gave up and I want to ask if there is one simple answer to the question:
    Can I commercially use all 3D models bought from Assets Store?
    Going further... can I change elements of bought 3D package and use some components of it in my future game which I hopefully sell?

Best regards.

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'd be extremely surprised if you couldn't. You can use anything on the store for whatever purpose you like, basically. A few assets come with their own additional license but from what I was told that usually is quite rare and only applies to included third party elements that the asset relies on. I can't say 100% sure but I'm 99% sure.

3. derkoi

derkoi

Yeah, you can use them in your commercial game. Just don't resell the assets. That's the impression I've got with asset store content. It would be pretty pointless otherwise.

4. orb

orb

The default asset store license is fairly friendly. Do read the asset's license in case they have their own terms, though. I've even seen custom EULAs which give MORE rights than the default one (per-project assets rather than per-user).

Read this (part 1 is boring stuff you can skip): http://unity3d.com/company/legal/as_terms

Point 2.3 says the default terms for non-editor extension assets is per-site. Very friendly to indie groups working out of one basement ;)

5. Ness

Ness

Thanks all for answer. But after reading legal terms I cannot find anything on making changes to the assets, for example:
    I bought the "House" asset and I want to make it taller, so I copy and paste mid level of the building, then I change the colours of it to fit to my visual design of the level, finally I add some markings to the texture of the building(ex: add sign "coffee shop")
    So, are such modification allowed for making commercial game(It is pretty obvious for me that I cannot sell this as an asset)?

6. orb

orb

There's nothing about modification/texture changes being illegal. If they don't specifically disallow it, I'd do it. Every asset maker who's been asked says that's OK anyway. If you're worried, just contact the creators. And simple things like adding signs to buildings I would absolutely refuse to believe anyone would disallow! HOW you use the assets shouldn't be a problem as long as you bought them and only you use them.

If you couldn't adapt the assets, who'd want to buy them?

7. Python-Blue

Python-Blue

I'd have to hope the general consensus is correct about commercial use being alright. Especially since I've been tempted to make a one-man game project despite lacking 3D modeling skills.