Search Unity

Animation needs to be marked as Legacy?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jmane2012, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jmane2012

jmane2012

I am currently using Unity 4 Pro Beta, and when trying to use an animation the Console states that any animation I try and use must be marked as Legacy. That wouldn't be a problem if I were able to easily find a way to do that. Usually there's an option on the components Inspector, but not that I can see for an animation. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Animations can be set to Legacy in the Import Inspector's Animation Type in the Rig panel.

Deleted User and james7132 like this.
  3. jmane2012

jmane2012

Thanks! Would have never thought to look in rigs, sorry my first time even attempting to deal with animations.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hmmm, yeah, "Rig" sort of implies that it's already a humanoid or a skinned mesh which is slightly misleading/confusing.

I wonder if it defaults to Legacy, or Generic at least, if you simply import a cube being animated for example. Will look into this tomorrow.

5. jmane2012

jmane2012

It was not default set at Legacy unfortunately, but it is working like a charm now!

6. Engineerius

Engineerius

oh man i couldnt found this for days! thank you!

7. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

hi,

Thanks! I could not figure it out, indeed "rig" is misleading when you want to set te animation, since there is an animation tab...

bye,

Jean

8. Brady

Brady

I am receiving the same warning, but I'm not working with a model, just a cube primitive I'm trying to rotate with an AnimationClip. I'm using the "legacy" animation editor view to create a simple AnimationClip that rotates the target object. Then I'm adding an Animation component to my cube at runtime and attaching the clip to it using gameobject.animation.Addclip(). When I call AddClip(), it says the AnimationClip has to be marked as legacy and apparently won't add it. But I don't see any way to do that. It's not a setting in the AnimationClip's importer, and since it's just a stand-alone AnimationClip, there's no model importer setting to set. How does one go about using an AnimationClip created using the animation editor window?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Yess!!! I figured out how to make it legacy by default!!!
    Add this script to the Editor folder of your project (if you do not have an Editor folder create one)

10. clunk47

clunk47

11. dmytro_miretskyi

dmytro_miretskyi

Hey guys! Just follow next.
    1. Switch the Inspector panel to a debug mode (3 stripes in a right top corner, near lock icon)
    2. Set the animation type to a "1"
    3. Switch the Inspector panel to a normal mode (how u wish).

Enjoy. :)

12. zanearn

zanearn

This works! Thanks Dmitry!

13. m1735

m1735

Thanks Dmitry :)

14. DrKucho

DrKucho

funny, t's so retarded that an animation you create in unity's animation window does not work when you select it on the animation component till you do the Dimitry's trick

thanks D now it works for me.

15. dinneenio

dinneenio

Dmitry you legend! thanks a million been stuck on this for ages!!!!!

16. ugurrrrr

ugurrrrr

Dimitry,

Thanks a lot :)

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hah, indeed! Thanks from here, too.

To me what's more interesting to me is that we're changing an ID value, but we're not changing the actual data*... so what's the difference between 1, "Legacy", and whatever 2 is (presumably "Generic")?

* Though... I guess it's possible that upon the value changing the data is converted in the back end...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  18. pickleleon

pickleleon

Thank you sooooo much Dmitry, i've literally been trying to figure this out for days

19. Gregowich

Gregowich

I am getting the same "AnimationClip needs to be marked as legacy" problem, and tried all of your solutions:
    - I can't find a setting in the AnimationClip's importer,
    - I switch the Inspector panel to a debug mode - and there's no "animation type" to be altered!

I am working in 2D Mode, and this is a sprite with 3 animation clips. (Although it's only giving that error for only one of the animation clips?!)

20. Zaflis

Zaflis

Doubleclick the animation name to open more detailed page, where the type is shown.

For my own case with 2D animation, i'd like to do this in code somehow. I have a C# script trigger that should work for any colliding object with a Animation component (note: not Animator). Animation clip can have any name aswell, it should only ever use the element 0, the 1 and only attached clip.

I have code like this so far
    Code (CSharp):
    1. anim = GetComponent<Animation>();
    2. if (anim != null) {
    3.   anim.wrapMode = WrapMode.Once;
    4.   // Here something like...
    5.   anim.clip[0].animationType = 1;
    6.   // But obviously clip isn't array and i can't find clues.
    7. }
    This simply because different person is making the level and things shouldn't stop working simply if he forgets to change all 2's into 1 in debug mode...

Edit: I keep reading that the devs want to drop support for using Animation directly, and focus just on Animator. That however requires 2 files for each animation, which in this case is just a once running triggered animations of different kind of traps falling, ceilings moving or stuff like that. No transitions or anything complicated needed. Animator is just overkill and bloat.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  21. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Unity's animation is mental. What if you don't have an imported bipedal character?! I'm trying to animate sprites, and half the tutorials and advice is completely broke. I don't have a 'rig' button because I haven't imported an object! I'm just trying to blend anims created in Unity according to the official tutes and I get this complaint. And then, thanks to the community, I find I have to switch to Debug mode and change a 2 to a 1. If not for the community, Unity would be unusable half the time, I reckon. More than that. Thanks peeps!

22. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

If you are using an "Animation"-component, it has to be legacy because Animation is legacy. The new one (mecanim) is called "Animator" and you should be able to use it without these hacks.

23. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Yeah, I finally worked that one out. The lack of explanation of the old system is disconcerting. I suppose the assumption is everyone follows the new model and won't hit upon the old model. When the new model doesn't (or can't be got to) work though, one ends up trying all sorts of hacks!

24. Valia-Lee

Valia-Lee

Thx Dmitry!

25. YatinK

YatinK

HI guyz I m trying to import a simple animation in to unity from 3ds max. I had animate a simple sphere using path constrain and baked it and deleted all everything else. My main problem is, I had imported sphere and in rig panel used legacy option. Now when i am hitting play its going somewhere else its not using my required position (i am sure its not going on 0,0,0 world position) plus its not taking my scaling values also it is using the same scale from import setting. I tried scale factor but if i tweak that its getting invisible. Very strange. tried to found solution from net but no luck :(. Please help me. Thanks.

26. Fallow9

Fallow9

So I created an animation following a youtube video from a while back, and I got the same error (The legacy thing), and you all seem to be having success, but I cant find the Animation Type section under debug. I marked legacy, but there is nothing about an animation type. Please help! This is what it looks like:

27. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Can't see image. My problem was solved by not using the Legacy animation system. Add an
    Animation Controller but not an Animation. If you provide more details you may be able to jog my memory on what exactly was going wrong for me.

28. nurpp

nurpp

For those of you who don't see 'animation type' when you go into debug mode, make sure to go into the animation itself in the project tab (for me it's in assets), not the component in the object that has the animation. Plus, I don't know if this is just me, but instead of animation type, I see an option for legacy. Check this.

29. jimrota

jimrota

Once I had the Animator doing what I wanted and was saved (not sure which method I used to create it), I started seeing these errors. Now that it was a saved animation (for UI Buttons) I simply had to delete the Animation + Animator from each UI Button using it. Then added a new Animator component and selected the saved Animator. So the error just meant it got lost somewhere and needed resetting.

30. allshaer

allshaer

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

so awesome,so cool!

32. phreakhead

phreakhead

If you don't want to mark your animations as legacy, you can use the new Playables API to play non-legacy AnimationClips:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private List<PlayableGraph> graphs = new List<PlayableGraph> ();
    4. // Just call this function when you want to play an AnimationClip on a specific GameObject.
    5. // from https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Playables-Examples.html
    6. private PlayableGraph playAnim(AnimationClip clip, GameObject obj) {
    7.     PlayableGraph playableGraph;
    9.     AnimationPlayableUtilities.PlayClip(obj.AddComponent<Animator>(), clip, out playableGraph);
    11.     // save all graphs we create and destroy them at the end of our scene.
    12.     // you might need to optimize this if you make a lot of animations.
    13.     graphs.Add (playableGraph);
    15.     return playableGraph;
    16. }
    18. void OnDisable() {
    19.     foreach (var g in graphs) {
    20.         g.Destroy();
    21.     }
    22.     graphs.Clear ();
    23. }

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  33. manaladkennethpogi

manaladkennethpogi