Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LDC (Localized Dialogs & Cutscenes) - Powerful and intuitive Dialog System with tons of features!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Nov 3, 2012.

1. The-Masked-Developer

The-Masked-Developer

That's what I get for trusting one-click updating. I should have known better. Thanks a lot for the quick replies, everything's working great now!

2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Awesome, glad to hear it! :)

3. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi all,

just to let everyone know that my site and support email addresses should all be working again as normal! Thanks for your patience while I was transferring my website to a new host - it should be way faster now! :)

- Mel

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. cl-apps

cl-apps

Just thinking allowed.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if you could create hotspots you could touch / click on from the backgrounds or layers... not sure if you could do this already but I thought i'd mention the idea before I forgot!

Thanks

5. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hmm, seems like an interesting idea. Added to the wishlist! :)

- Mel

6. cl-apps

cl-apps

Excellent! Seems quite a good idea for point and click adventures to navigate around scenes. I've done a little in Playmaker but having the functionality in LDS would be great.

7. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

COOL NEW STUFF - LDC v4.0!

Hope you guys are excited about LDC 4.0 which is just around the corner, hoping to release it in May! :)

As well as loads of cool new features including Google spreadsheet support, the beginning of GUI Abstraction, Automatic GUI Skin switching between platforms, joystick axis support, playing audio on button rollovers and clicks, navigation callbacks, API updates, and more .... We now have a cool new and versatile Dialog style:

THE POPUP DIALOG STYLE

This cool new dialog style allows you not only to create popup dialog messages, but also simulated books and terminals which are great for adventure games and RPGs... Here are some quick examples of what is possible:

$Popup-Message.png

Simple One Button Popups ( lol sorry for the typo! :p )

$Popup-Custom.png

Cool splash screens with ANIMATED backgrounds (uses the Dialog Library!)

$Popup-2ButtonMessage.png

Two Button Popups (with optional static / animated backgrounds!)

$Popup-Terminals.png

Popup Terminals - Easily skinned to be a book, note, or anything "readable" in your games. Custom size is set in the inspector!

And this is the inspector that built the above Two Button Popup:

$Popup-LDCInspector.png

Hope you guys like what you see, and thanks so much for supporting LDC over the last few years! :)

All the best,

- Mel

8. orbobservation

orbobservation

Just noticed this is on sale- buy it! I have found it to be the easiest solution and it can also handle alot of game logic needs that flow from your dialogs. With the integration of uSeq, cutscenes are fired off simply by dragging the sequence into a slot in the LDC inspector. It's very simple to customize the look of the dialogs with your own images and there's many combinations to how you want LDC to act.

Mel always answers my questions promptly, so I'm never left doing it the old fashioned way by hitting every button and combination til it works!

9. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Thanks for the kind words, orbobservation! =)

... And happy Easter everyone! =)

- Mel

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. Pathlesspath

Pathlesspath

I buy it on sale and new with LcD.
    I want to use it on mobile(portrait) but it seem like wrong ratio of text and picture.
    How can i fix this.

Thank in advance.

11. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Pathlesspath,

Firstly, thank you for purchasing LDC! :)

The LDC GUI System is designed to scale the UI to any resolution. On Android for example where there are countless non-standard screen resolutions, the most effective approach is the one LDC already uses, as this will ensure your game will work on any device with no extra work.

However, if you really want to override the skins for a specific graphics resolution, you may do so by duplicating the GUISkin you are using, and adjusting the size of the portraits, etc so it better matches that resolution when it scales.

Overriding the GUISKin in LDC is very easy via script, here's how:

Code (csharp):
    3. // OverrideLDCSkin.js
    5. var mySkin : GUISkin;                                             // <- This is the GUISkin you wish to use.
    7. function Start(){
    9.    yield;                                                                       // <- yield 1 frame so it doesn't interfere with localisation.
    10.    DialogUI.dui.skin = mySkin;                                    // <- Sets the new GUISkin.
    11.    DialogUI.dui.UpdateForceFocusButton();               // <- Updates the GUI Helper.
    13. }
    Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

12. Pathlesspath

Pathlesspath

Thank you so much.
    LDC is awesome! :D

13. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

- Mel

14. resequenced

resequenced

Mel, this new feature is awesome! One question (or feature request): will it be possible to upload our existing dialogs to a Google spreadsheet?

15. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi BasedOnThePlay,

The Google Spreadsheet API doesn't allow for the creation of Spreadsheets from scratch so I'm not sure yet. In the future it may be possible to have LDC upload your dialog into a page of an existing Spreadsheet which could be pretty useful as all of your dialogs could be saved into the same file.

If this is possible, I'll try to add this some time after the 4.2 update!

Hope this helps! :)

- Mel

16. loadexfa

loadexfa

Hi Mel,
    I'd like to add another feature request for you to consider. A little background, I was reading this quick article on Gamasutra:
    http://gamasutra.com/blogs/PeterAng...w_to_Get_People_to_Read_Text_in_Your_Game.php
    (I recommend reading this for anyone doing text in their games).

In the comments, there is an awesome suggestion:
    There's more info on the article page including a link to an implementation in javascript for the browser (not Unity's javascript): http://jsfiddle.net/78f56/embedded/result/

One other suggestion in this thread was being able to skip the time-delayed dialog (with a key-press) so people reading could speed it up to their reading speed.

I think both of these would be useful additions.

17. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi loadexfa,

Very interesting suggestion - added to the wishlist! :)

- Mel

18. loadexfa

loadexfa

Cool, thanks!

19. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Everyone,

I've got some great news to share...

LDC v4.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED RIGHT NOW!!! :)

You can update / purchase it from my site right now, or wait a while until the Asset Store approves it! As always, LDC is totally free for people who have already purchased it! :)

It really was a colossal update! So many things have been improved, rewritten or extended that I've almost lost count! Here's a recap of all of the biggest new features, plus some extra ones that have made their way into v4.0 at the last minute!

GOOGLE SPREADSHEETS

$GoogleSpreadsheets.png

You can now access you Google Drive to create and update your dialogs from a spreadsheet. Perfect for working in teams! The Spreadsheet template can be found inside of the LDC Extras folder!

POPUP DIALOG STYLE

$PopupDialogs.png

The new Popup Dialog style allows for the creation of one or two button popup alerts, prompts, tutorials or splash screens. It supports custom sizing on a per screen basis, animated backgrounds with custom opacity, buttons and more!

The API has also been updated to allow for dynamic Popup dialog styles! :)

GUI ABSTRACTION

GUI Abstraction means the GUI part of LDC has been separated from the rest of the code. This is the first step that will allow for the creation of totally custom UI's in the near future from the LDC community and possibly myself (we'll see how it goes! lol).

New GUI Additions also include the ability to play audio on focus and selection, use input axis as well as KeyCodes and setup whether LDC will use high definition or low definition skins on a per platform basis, making it super easy to manage scalability across your destination platforms! :)

NAVIGATION CALLBACKS (VIA THE EDITOR!)

$NavigationCallbacks.png

Now you can use callbacks without using the LDC API - it can happen right here in the inspector! Every Dialog Screen can now support this special feature which sends a message (SendMessage) to another GameObject with a String[] containing information about the Dialog's name, the Dialog ID, the Button ID, the Button's name (label), as well as a custom String argument.

This offers amazing detail for each screen so you can track exactly what is happening and when! :)

The API has been updated to also allow for this kind of callback too!

AUTO-NOTES

$AutoNotes.png

Auto-Notes makes it even easier to work on advanced dialogs! When you are working on actions, etc sometimes it becomes a little confusing when you are trying to find a dialog to modify but you can't see it's content. Auto-Notes automatically creates a note based on the content of your dialog so you can easily identify which is which no matter what mode you're working in, and without having to type a single thing! :)

The checkbox next to the note turns this feature ON / OFF on a per screen basis (default is ON).

PERFORMANCE

There has been a lot of work made on performance! You will find that when you click into an LDC inspector it is waaaaay faster!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE UPDATING

Before upgrading be aware that there is one specific snag with LDC v4.0. While testing on Unity 4.5 Beta I found a very annoying bug which throws lots of errors because of a change Unity have made. The bad news is I have had to rewrite the extra logic statements for multiple button screens. Upgrading to LDC v4.0 will delete ALL extra logic statements in Multiple Button Screens (the initial statement should be ok though). I apologise for this, all I can say is it was out of my control. No other fix could have worked other than a complete rewrite.

As Always - Please BACKUP your projects before upgrading!

LDC Direct Website Link
    http://www.mel-georgiou.co.uk

I'll be updating everyone again when it is approved on the Unity Asset Store! :)

Thanks so much for investing in LDC. This is a product that has been growing and evolving for over 3 years now and I'd like to personally thank all of you for making it into a success!

I hope you guys are excited about the new features! :)

All the best,

- Mel

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  20. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Hi Mel,

The visual novel demo and the FPS demo do not work for me. The adventure works however. Do you have some idea of what I am doing incorrectly?

Also, in the FPS demo, how did you get the speech bubble? I would like to use speech bubbles, thought bubbles, and regular dialogs but I am not sure how to modify the gui skin to do this.

Thanks

Nik

21. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Nik,

Strange, it's working fine for me. Have you upgraded the Unity Webplayer on your machine? The Adventure demo is built using Flash rather than the Unity web player which is probably why that one works and the others don't for you.

The speech bubble is not part of the GUISkins, it is part of one of the demos that's included with LDC. Make sure you install the "The Extra LDC Demos" package found in "The LDC Demos Extras" Folder, and the correct demo is called "05 FPS Demo".

This demo includes a bunch of extra scripts, one of them is called "DemoNPC_AndObjectInteraction". There is a variable in the inspector called "Message Icon" which you can change to any other image to make it work :)

Clicking on any of the characters in that scene will show you how its all setup (e.g. "Test Actor (Bob)", "Test Actor - Mike", "Test Actor - Psycho")

- Mel

22. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Hi Mel,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

I found the demos in the package and everything works very well. My question for speech bubbles was if I could have the dialog appear in the speech bubble and not in the usual dialog screen area, like in comics where the actor has a bubble appearing near their heads indicating their speech.

For the webplayer, I do have it installed. My version, from unity webpage, is 4.3.5f1. The same version for firefox and chrome. Nonetheless, your site still says to install the player. Interesting error which I am not sure if anyone else has come across but something I can handle later.

A very nice plugin. Thanks for such a nice project

23. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

I'm glad you're enjoying LDC!

I think there was a weird issue with 64bit versions of windows Unity players that required you to make sure the link had https:// in the front (or perhaps it was http:// lol it was one of the two! :) ).

In any case, dialogs in LDC can't be anchored in 3D space yet, although one way around it would be to skin the speech dialog to use "speech bubbles" and have it appear underneath. You could also use the Actions tab on each dialog screen to send messages and have the camera point at certain characters, etc so it's possible to have a comic style (although like I said, not anchored to their heads in 3D space).

- Mel

24. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Yehhh!!. Thanks so much for that info. I was able to get the demo to run by changing the tag from https to http. That worked.

Also, is the visual novel included in the demos? I would like to know how it was built since I am making something quite similar.

Thanks

Again, thanks so much. You are a life saver.

Nik

25. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Nick,

I couldn't include the Visual Novel demo as it included artwork that I didn't make, but I did post a video training series at the time that showed how to put something like that together back when LDC v2.0 was released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P734XsgCg4I

- Mel

26. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Hi Mel,

Thank you again for all your help.

I have one quick question: Is it possible to turn off the fade-in on the dialog background and text? So instead of fading, the text and dialog just appear, clear as day with no gradient fading animation.

Update: no worries figured it out.

nikky

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  27. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

LDC V4.0 IS NOW LIVE ON THE UNITY ASSET STORE!

IMPORTANT: Before upgrading be aware that due to a change in Unity v4.5, I had to make some changes to extra conditions in Multiple Button Screens. Upgrading to LDC v4.0 will delete ALL extra logic statements in Multiple Button Screens (the initial statement should be ok though).

Please BACKUP your projects before upgrading!

Asset Store Link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5020

As always, LDC v4.0 is a free update to existing users! :)

Enjoy!

- Mel

28. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Is it possible to make my own button to navigate the dialogues? That is, instead of using the buttons you create through LDC, can I create my buttons, controlled by my UI manager, and control the flow of the dialog screens of a particular Dialog?

Also, I want to edit the cast picture/animation programmatically, based on tokens. For instance, I want the user to choose the picture they want to use. I then modify a set of dialogs to the picture they have chosen

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  29. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Nicky,

I think I missed your previous post - sorry about that!

Yeah, just in case others are confused you can set all these options in the DialogUI component (in the Options group).

As for controlling LDC via your own UI, this is currently theoretically possible as LDC v4.0 has GUI Abstraction but there is still some ways to go before this is practical. In other words, I'll definitely need to create some detailed documentation for this, perhaps a demo and it may also require additional helper functions in LDC itself. All of this is planned however and should be making its way to LDC during the 4.x cycle! :)

I would suggest reading up on the LDC Docs and work on re-skinning the GUISkins for now. That is still a very flexible and customisable way of having your own look and feel in LDC.

Hope that helps!

- Mel

30. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Hi Mel,

thanks again for your help.

I am having trouble activating an object from a dialog prefab. In particular, in the prefab, I can find an object in my scene by name to deactivate it. However, at the end of my dialog, i am having trouble finding the same object (now deactivated) by name to reactivate it.

It works with gameobjects, however, which makes sense since I have direct access to the object of interest. Can you help me with this?

Nikky

31. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Nicky,

No worries.

Yes, this is one of those tricky things about Unity. Once a GameObject is de-activated it will no longer be found by GameObject.Find. Some ways to get this to work is to use the "Activate These GameObjects" actions in LDC which use direct references, or you can use SendMessage to tell an existing script to activate it from there.

Hope that helps!

- Mel

32. Nikky_U

Nikky_U

Hi Mel,

thank you so much. I solved it by creating methods that I could call with SendMessage.

Another question: can I animate my text? You have the typewriter effect which works per letter. Can I animate per word with different colors or fontstyles as a dialog plays?

nikky

33. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Nikky,

Please contact LDC Support from my website http://www.mel-georgiou.co.uk . The link is in the bottom left of the page under "Contact Me" and I'll be happy to help! :)

Please attach the invoice Number you received when purchasing LDC from the Asset Store (or the paypal receipt if you purchased it from my site directly).

Thanks! :)

- Mel

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  34. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Hey Mel, I recently opened an older project of mine that had an earlier version of LDC, so I decided to upgrade it to the new version 4.0. I deleted the older version of LDC before installing the new one, but now I don't get any LDC options under GameObject in the tool bar, and I also get this error in the console:

Failed to generate dynamic font texture, because all the needed characters do not fit onto a single texture. Try using less text or a smaller font size.

I'm guessing I have missed something, but I have no idea what :( Any suggestions? I'm using UnityPro v4.5.0f6 (the latest version).

Cheers.

35. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi wheelbarrow,

Sounds like you may not have uninstalled LDC properly the first time - make sure you have deleted these folders:

Editor > Black Zombie
    Plugins > Black Zombie
    Editor Default Resources > Black Zombie

Try deleting these files and install again. If you have manually moved LDC's files in your project you will have to hunt them down manually. Usually, all LDC related scripts are named like this: DialogXYZ

The font warning only appears when you are using that particular Korean font on certain mobile builds (basically they are limited to 2048x2048 textures so unity throws the warning because all the characters cannot be generated - you can manually add the characters you want in the fonts import settings to get around this). This issue won't stop LDC from working! :)

Once you've done that, it may also be worth restarting Unity if the GameObject shortcuts don't reappear straight away.

- Mel

36. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Damn that was a quick reply Mel :) Your instructions worked, all is ok now, thanks again :)

37. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Awesome, glad to hear you're back up and running!

... and you're welcome! :)

- Mel

38. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Hi
    I was wondering do you have to buy the whole asset again after a new version gets released? Or if u buy once u get the updates? Also how can i change the skin color and style of the dialogues or its position on the screen?

39. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Gamingbir,

Every version of LDC has been a free update for all users. :)

All skin customisation can be achieved using Unity's built-in GUISkins - more info can be found here:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-GUISkin.html

You don't need to code anything as LDC does all of that for you, you simply need to reskin and tweak it if you want to change it's appearance.

- Mel

40. corvus821

corvus821

Really loving this package so far. Automates the dialog process in a very nice way.

Question - is there any way to hide a 'next'/other button until the dialog is finished? Just so that way it isn't accidentally pressed before a character is done talking. Also, to echo what loadexfa suggested, having the user be able to tap the screen to finish the dialog, but not advance it, would be awesome :)

Keep up the great work!

41. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi mhazaru,

Glad you're enjoying LDC! :)

In the meantime, you can hide single buttons: DialogUI > Options > "Hide All Single Buttons In UI"

... What that will do is rely on Auto-Timed dialogs. This basically means you can setup how many seconds each dialog plays and it will automatically advance to the next screen - if you want users to wait through each dialog's speech for example, its kind of pointless to have a next button anyway :)

- Mel

42. AGaming

AGaming

Good night, I faced such here a problem. I try to find objects on a name and to make them active or not active. But alas. If I use Find And Activate GameObjects Al Start - that it simply doesn't work. Occurs nothing. The object both was invisible and remained. But if I use Find And De-Activate GameObjects Al Start it perfectly works. In what reasons? For earlier thanks.

43. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi AGaming,

Ah, this is because GameObject.Find can't find anything that is already inactive - which is a very strange way in which Unity works (and should be changed in my opinion lol).

Anyway, One way around it is to use direct references using "deactivate objects at start" as this will work because GameObject.Find isn't being used.

Yet another way is to use LDC's SendMessage action to a custom script that can handle this for you in the scene.

- Mel

44. hasflesh

hasflesh

One question, is there an option to randomize a scene so that each time you play the game it plays different scenes?

45. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi hasflesh,

This is possible using a small script that allows you to instantiate a dialog at random - like this:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. // Add the LDC Dialogs to the dialogs variable in the unity inspector (Make sure they are set to Auto-Play). At the start of the level it will choose a dialog at random and play it.
    3. var dialogs : GameObject[];
    4. function Start(){
    5.    for(var d : GameObject in dialogs ){
    6.       if(d!=null){
    7.          Instantiate(d);
    8.       }
    9.    }
    10. }

Simply add this script to any GameObject in the scene and add the dialogs that you want to randomise.

- Mel

46. hasflesh

hasflesh

thanks for the reply, buying it now!

47. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi hasflesh,

Awesome! =)

-Mel

48. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

49. AGaming

AGaming

I welcome once again, I have a question. For example if my character during dialogue kill, and I load at once a new scene. Dialogue is not closed automatically. After that in game all dialogues get off.

Tell I can close by means of a code from a script all fissile dialogues in game?

50. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi AGaming,

Sorry about the delay, I think the Unity email managed to end up in my spam box for some reason! lol

I've seen this issue happen before, basically you need to make sure that when you change levels the dialog has ended.

Easiest way to fix is either use the LoadLevel action in the inspector, or replace you LoadLevel scripts with this:

Code (JavaScript):
    2. // Application.LoadLevel( "MyNewLevel" );
    3. DialogUI.API_LoadLevel( "MyNewLevel" );

- Mel