Search Unity

Mario Bros Clone.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by kingcharizard, Nov 2, 2012.

1. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Hello everyone, I've been developing a Mario bros clone for a few weeks Just for fun to build my skills and my portfolio. I so far have some of the basic animations and functions done. I got most of level 1-1 built. I'm posting this topic to show off the progress and get some opinions on if i should develop this more and how much of it should i work on. Here is a few screenshots, below there is a webplayer demo. I should note their is no GUI or sounds.

MBC Media​

Webplayer Demo: Click Here

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

I always like to see people creating 2D games with Unity3D. I have some opinions (using the original game as base):

* Mario is walking too fast;
    * His jump is too short, I always get trapped between two high tubes and I have to restart the game;
    * I can't control the jump height holding the button jump, it jump always the same height;
    * The jump button is too sensitive, if I touch the ground holding the jump button Mario will instantly jump again, so making his movements not so precise;

3. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Thanks for this, um in the unity engine i have the same problem but when i play it in the webplayer his jump borderline normal somewhat to high. but i just went back and tried to play the web player and i experienced the same issues you have just mentioned.

But inside the unity engine I dont get the same problems, anyone have any idea why this would happen?

4. projectionmatrix

projectionmatrix

If you post the jump code i can take a look. You're probably framerate dependant (forgot to multiply by delta time maybe?)

5. bucco

bucco

Are the blocks supposed to reset on death?

6. Figerox

Figerox

IT seems that i can beat the whole level by just holding the jump and forward button.

7. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

When i try to make the video both the webplayer and the unity editor play the same but then I play them each individuality they perform differently. Both should perform the same

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I updated the web player i believe i fixed the problem. If someone could try to out to let me know if the jumping is fixed.

Yes the level reloads for now.

I know enmies and other effects will come after i finalize the basic features and fix the current problems

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

Here now the jump is working fine. One problem that I found i think is that in one moment I could touch the right part of the screen and the camera didn't scrolled to the right, so I couldn't see what is in my front. I had to back a bit and go forward again to make the camera scroll again.

10. trancerobot

trancerobot

This happened to me as well. It's a good start though.

11. mamoniem

mamoniem

i like this old school one ;)

m;

12. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Thanks again for your input, yea the camera has a few other problems too. I have to work on a better camera system. But i'll do that later after I get much more of the features complete and fleshed out.

Here is the beginning of my HUD/GUI

you can see the updates live in the webplayer check the first post or click here to play

more feedback is greatly appreciated​

13. Grimgo

Grimgo

If you hit some of the questionblock's on the bottomcorner thy r blocked and don't count, or will it hold something else than coins ?
    For the rest it's a great game.

14. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Those blocks will hold power ups such as mushroom, flower power, star etc im still trying to figure where they all go. the ones that hold coins fully work.

Thanks for the kind words, but Its still far from complete. Still have to add sounds, add enemies, make the basic functions work properly and so forth. I got a few more weeks of development in my free time to do before i can be close to complete.

15. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

A few things:

1) You need to do your own player controller and not just work with the FPS prefab. The physics are just off otherwise.
    2) You should use the box collider and not the capsule, otherwise the player hangs off edges funny.
    3) Why do a Mario remake? Just do your own thing, then try and sell it.

16. Prion Games

Prion Games

Everyone could do their own thing, but how many people actually get anywhere doing it? Sure you see many that get famous and succeed, but it is the number that you do not see make it that is insane. I mean look at most MMO's, Fps, etc. They are all essentially the same thing, just disguised by different artwork and storyline. people that make clones do the same thing, they just do not hide the fact that they are making it like so and so, or a remake.

The movie industry is the same way.

Make a remake, of something, make it free to play, and gain a small fan base, then make something original, that way you will have players at the get go to enjoy and help share your work. Something new and original is very expensive to market, if you have big funders backing you then sure, go for something new, But otherwise make something people will recognize and build up a small fan base that will continue to follow your work.

Most of Youtube's big shots rely on other peoples known work to make them famous.

You can be original, or be a remake guru, both ways can lead to success or failure, but too many times people say, why not make your own stuff, well you always are making your own stuff, it is just strongly inspired or copied from past works. But it is still you or your team putting in the effort to make it work and function.

In the end your if anything more popularizing another franchise as well as building up fans. there is not much of a loss for love in that relationship. Just watch to not step on any corporate toes.

If you choose to start out as original it will be a more narrow road and more traffic. But will money, time, and dedication you could still pull through. But there is also a much larger margin for error. Which could cost you time, reputation, and of course a bunch of money.

I could make a large article on this but I said enough. But this is a typical business strategy used many times over by large and small companies. Some just have more money than others to disguise the actual inspiration used.

But if a true gamer, and one whom understands the joy of the classics to the modern would not ever, and I mean ever, say, make your own stuff, they would realize that you are just trying to have fun making great games, if original or not.

17. Mauri

Mauri

Look in the starting posting. He already said why:
    "Just for fun to build my skills and my portfolio"

18. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

1, that is my own player controller using the character controller as a base for collisions and the isGrounded fuctions.
    2, I've noticed that I'll find a solution for that
    3, I've said this in the first post. But i'll repeat. to have fun, also building mario is a cool addition to a portfolio.Also everyone knows and loved SMB and if i can produce a clone that is close to the original than i've accomplished my task and i might get a few fans along the way.

I'll have a small update real soon with some improvements and additions.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I apologize. I thought that it was a modified FPS controller (I had played around with the controller myself and thought it looked like we did the same thing).

And I get having fun, that's why I'm into Game Design, I was just trying to say that it would not be that difficult to do your own thing if you wanted and did not mean to sound critical of your project.

20. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

That's cool bro :D
    Have you used some 2d package?

21. stefmen

stefmen

cool stuff man!
    will follow this :)

22. napster

napster

Looks cool dude, just need some implementations like powers, braking bricks and level end flag

23. unityart3ds

unityart3ds

Are you guys ever scared of being sued for copy writing?

But I do like your game a lot Mario is a classic. :)