Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASE] Hyperview

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

HYPERVIEW
    free node-based hierarchy view

Hello friends. I'd like to present to you a small tool I've made to improve my workflow with Unity and so yours too.
    Hyperview is a custom hierarchy viewer based on nodes listed on horizontal layout.
    It is a visual centric version of Unity's hierarchy view, designed to work on Unity and Unity Pro 3.5 up to 4, with custom navigation and custom shortcuts;
    Perfect for users working on environments where you have more than one desktop screen. Have a look:

----- -----

º You can zoom in and out.
    º You can favorite object groups to have them isolated on your panel.
    º You can right-click an object to quickly add components.
    º You can double-click to rename it faster.
    º Etc and etc, the list goes on. It is free, just download it and check it out! ;)

Also, if you are using Unity 4, you will have beautiful icons on your nodes so you can visually locate an object much, much faster.

----- -----

To download free version, go here:

If you think you might support this tool or you feel like you can improve it for your own needs and quickly extend its functionalities, go here:

Good luck, have fun!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. nuverian

nuverian

Maya like :)

Nice job..Thanks!

3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yep. I am Maya lover ;)

There is new version waiting for review.
    Submitted 1.03 to AS with a fix for the fav panel; in earlier versions it is prone to crashes in giant scenes with too many gameObjects.

4. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

As requested by a friend on twitter, I decided to work on an new option; using asset previews as icons on the hierarchy view if the object originates from an asset or prefab:

I will release this version soon. Unfortunately we can't zoom when this is enabled or things start to get weird on screen ;)

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Assets previews very cool!

Bummer about the zoom not working well

6. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The problem is Unity will return a fixed preview of 128x128 and image can't be bigger than that unless I re-construct the texture, but doing so is too much expensive to be considered as an option because the panel is re-constructed every time hierarchy changes.
    I've already fixed the math problem related with zooming previews, working now on a not expensive way to resize asset preview when zoom changes.

Edit: Done! ;)

On big zoom in, previews will be stretched images though.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. jerryholand

jerryholand

very good work!!!!

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Thank you very much Jerry! :)

I have a necessity in my projects of listing components too instead of only game objects.
    I need a way to find, click and edit a material right there in the panel instead of looking for an object which contais that material, than searching for the material in Inspector. ( Maya way again ;) )
    So I will soon add a panel to list and select any material used in the currently open scene. That goes on messing with project assets and comparing instances so I need to make sure I will not screw up any asset haha. Till later!

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Cool i like to edit materials in a quick way and love the way Maya works, I hope you can bring many great things from Maya to Unity!

Is it possible to filter the hyperview by component type?
    Thanks

10. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hi Lars; I plan on doing that. I just don't know yet if I add a panel for each type of component or just filter hierarchy using a enum mask field to filter existing panels.
    Or maybe using the search convention "t:type name" in search field.
    Right now I am building a preview cache system because when I duplicate a gameObject, the instance forgets which asset its parent is and the preview is gone. Weird internal Unity stuff.

Edit: preview cache ready in source version, but I will need to optimize the free version to make sure it will not leak textures; converting to the free version takes a bit of step so I will not upload this for now.
    I've also removed that extra space in canvas caused by maths for the panel's grid.
    Removed menu buttons for manipulating grid size because became obsolete.
    I'll work on that function to filter objects by component, but I fear that may be not possible to draw hierarchy trees when this kind of filter is active. Lets see :)

Edit:
    Just as I though; to draw the hierarchy while filtering objects by components is extremely buggy. All I could do is add the "t:type" option to the search field, just like Unity's hierarchy panel do.
    At this case I will re-compile the free version with the portrait mode code and upload to you guys. Have fun, I need now to work on the Materials panel ;)

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Oh well... I was compiling the code for the free version and after trying many things I am sorry to tell 'Portrait Mode' for nodes just won't work on a DLL.
    Asset previews are very limited and buggy on Unity side and an imported DLL can't make proper use of that in every Unity version. So I won't focus much on this. The only Unity I could make it work with compiled code is Unity 3.5.3.
    None of 4 versions draw anything, unless the code is compiled into the native project's editor dll. Because of that I can't also clean leaked textures generated for the thumbnails so eveything goes agains't this function for closed version;

I will upload 1.0.5 with portraits fully implemented. If you manage to make it work, lucky you; In all machines I tried, only the open code generates the thumbnails.

The icons working on source code on Unity 4:

For compiled DLL, Unity says 'no no no' :(

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Guys, after crawling around using reflection I was able to make thumbnails work on all targeted Unity versions for now ;)
    I uploaded 1.0.5 to Asset Store; However, the way I found to do it was building a separate version for Unity 4.
    It is inside a zip file, if you are using Unity 4, delete the default dll and unzip the 'HyperviewUnity4' file and portrait mode should work fine with that version. Have fun!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello. 1.05 with thumbnails update is up on Asset Store! :)

And this is what I've been working on for 1.06:
    First utility panel coming out in few days. This is personal need of mine, it lists all materials in all game objects currently used in the open scene, instead of listing everything from the entire project:

Still need to add actions to the buttons, I've just started working on it.

-----

As requested by a user with slower machine, for 1.06 I will also add a button in options menu to freeze hyperview when in playing mode, to make sure the editor will expend all resources rendering the game window only.
    To let the nodes be drawn again while in play mode you just hit the pause button.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Well, the materials inspector is already done with the basic functionality I need, also made another panel to list AudioClips in current scene too.
    Both have the option to select all game objects in scene using that particular asset; these panels have shortcuts to quickly rename and duplicate selected assets too, and you can enable automatic framing of game objects in scene using these assets:

Edit:
    Felt like I had to add another utility panel to quickly navigate MonoBehaviours used in current scene too.
    This one was kinda tricky to do:​

Will take some time to convert new source to the free version, so after uploading 1.06 I will hold expansion for a while and focus on game projects (I was requested to learn Scaleform for a project). 1.06 is already all I need for a while, shipping all features I've always missed in Unity's UI. However, we always have sundays so if you ppl have a great idea you think it must be in there, just let me know, if I think it's possible for me to do, why not ;)

Starting to convert the new source to the free package right now, till later pps!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Friends, I've uploaded 1.06 to Asset Store.
    It will be available as soon as UT makes sure it won't explode your computers ;)
    The option to select game objects containing the selected material or script/audioClip is one of those things I don't understand how I could live without for soooo long. Hope you guys enjoy, good luck on your projects!

Edit: 1.06 released.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great new features!

The only thing I would change is the selection highlight color, at the moment it seems a little busy and out of place in the Unity interface.
    Perhaps make it just a simple color highlight not a gradient with many colours.
    Thanks!

17. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

That is a matter of personal taste. Anyone can change any graphics in source package, textures are psd files ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes it's personal taste, my comment is not meant about what looks better it's more about what matches the current Unity interface conventions, and it felt a little out of place for me. I'll gladly pickup the source version and change it for myself. :)

19. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Oh, this is good. I thank you very much for that. I just have to warn you that since I've added tons of new funtions, I had no time to update the code's docs;
    So if you try to expand the tool and run into any trouble don't hesitate to email me and I will do my best to help! Currently I'm just messing around with Scaleform, weird plugin. Thanks too for rating on Asset Store, it really helps! After that, shy users are quietly downloading hyperview everyday :)

20. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello! :)
    I've got some emails reporting that when we load a new scene or change hierarchy while Hyperview is a hiden tab, its hierarchy list won't update; That is right, it can't update while the panel is not running at all 'cause it is hidden, thus it was forcing some users to re-open the panel...
    I've just forgot to check that so, to have a quick fix you guys using the source code just add to Hyperview.cs at line 117 or so:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void OnFocus() {
    2.      Objects = GameObject.FindSceneObjectsOfType(typeof(GameObject)); Init(false);
    3. }
    And that may solve this dumb issue for now.

Edit: I'm sorry for a bit outdated documentation of source code, documenting code needs so much time, if any other issues you guys can contact me directly. Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  21. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Don't you hate when you are not using a prefab in scene and you have already replaced materials on a model, then someone or sometimes yourself edit and re-import the model... And the materials you've replaced are all gone to grayscale empty materials again? Then you start to create prefabs for everything... I don't like that, so I've added this little button to Hyperview on the materials inpector:

This popup menu item helps to copy properties from one material to another without destroying the original material, only replacing its old parameters and keeping the material ID/asset.
    But it seems a little buggy due to slow shader replacements; So I won't publish this option for now until I make sure it won't destroy your hardwork on shiny materials ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  22. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

Opa Bruno. Parabéns pela ferramenta, que auxilia e muito na organização da Unity.
    Estou com um problema, depois que fiz a atualização para versão 1.061 só ta mostrando o icone do home.
    Não mostra mais como tree. O que pode ter acontecido? Uso Unity Free 4.0.0f7.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/imageqqn.jpg/

23. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Oi Felicio. Cara, nunca tinha visto esse erro antes.
    Vc está usando a versão em DLL? Já tentou deletar a DLL, fechar os painéis, fechar a Unity, re-abrir a Unity e re-importar o pacote?
    Isso me parece erro de memória na Unity, as vezes acontece quando se importa uma versão muito diferente de uma dll sem antes deletar a anterior.
    Se re-importar não resolver, vá até a pasta Library do teu projeto, mesmo diretório da pasta Assets e delete a dll Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll e me diga se resolve o caso por favor.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  24. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

Sim estou usando a versão DLL. Eu já a deletei e reimportei algumas vezes e nada. Estou usando aquela que ta no .zip. Concordo com vce que parece um erro de memória, quando eu usava a versão anterior a 1.061 estava perfeito o funcionamento. Procurei na Library eu não tenho essa dll que vce mencionou Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll. É uma pena pois eu tava feliz em ver o quanto organizado ficava o meu projeto.

25. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Não há nenhuma dll na pasta library que contenha a palavra editor?
    Nem mesmo algo como 'editor-first-pass' ? Isso é muito estranho...

Vou lhe enviar por pm um pacote com a versão de código aberto, delete a dll antes de importar. Pode ser que seu EditorPrefs esteja corrompido, vou inserir umas linhas de inicialização no source pra limpar os prefs do editor, já lhe envio o arquivo.

26. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

27. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Enviei arquivo por pm, veja se funfa :)
    Vou instalar Unity free em outra maquina e ver se consigo reproduzir esse erro.

28. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

Como lhe disse na PM. Obrigado pela atenção. Funciona perfeito como antes. Espero que vce consiga resolver o problema com relação a Unity Free, se for um problema pode ser alguma coisa em minha máquina, vai saber....Valeu Bruno...

29. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Ok problem solved, just remember the button to 'Copy Properties' on Material Inspector is still totally experimental ;)
    It was just a problem on your EditorPrefs due to corrupted package importing.

---
    Ah, não esqueça de comentar/apagar a linha 65 em Hyperview.cs, foi o que usei pra resetar o prefs. Abraço!

30. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

º Removed Bookmarks menu. Can't restore bookmarked culled nodes thus it was causing exceptions.

º Performance greatly improved, now nodes are not drawn twice per frame anymore. neither Repaint().
    º Nodes now draw using a culling system, removing CPU overhead when drawin thousands of nodes.
    º Reduced connection lines from three bezier curves to two polygonal lines, improves performance.
    º Re-worked portrait cache system, only root objects or child with Renderer component will try to cache a preview.
    º Increased capacity to 500+ child nodes, no limitation for amount of root nodes.
    º Added support for drag&drop assets from Project panel.
    º Added alt+space shortcut to toggle portrait mode.
    º Added action to material inspector to quickly transfer material properties to other materials.
    º Added option button to clear all saved EditorPrefs to prevent rare issue presented by Nilton Felicio.
    º Added Animation-Clip inspector in the Utilities menu.
    º Added button on popup menu (right click node) to toggle objects active state.

º And now disabled objects are drawn on darker gray color:

Note: Unfortunately I am just one guy with only two hands, thus update will come for source users first since many new functions were introduced.

Edit: alt+space doesn't work on Windows, added a alt+Q variation.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  31. khan-amil

khan-amil

will this performance boost allow for more gameobjects to be supported in the same scene?

I tried the free version a little while ago, but except for my menu scene I couldn't use it because there was too many gameobjects. In this case could you maybe limit the drawing to the selected gameObject and its children/parents?
    Great material window.

32. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello Khan-amil! Probably You've download first version. The tool only ignores object trees where you have more than 300 children on new versions. Disabled root objects can't be drawn neither their children though.

I am right now testing new code in a scene with 3.000+ gameObjects; It is working smoothly, however I still need to optimise cached object previews and rect lists used to draw the nodes, in large scenes like that, those data eat ram and cpu making Unity become laggy on not so fast machines.
    If UnityGUI wasn't sooo expensive to render, the Editor wouldn't feel so much when rendering all this stuff.

Also, I've optimised code to be able to draw more child nodes, but still 500 max children per parent game object will be the limitation for 1.07, but there is no limitation for the amount of parent gameObjects.
    Source users can easily addapt limitations for their needs, just need to edit one variable and let Unity recompile the window.
    Of course it will lag a bit if you have thousands of objects in your scene, but performance is much improved.
    To keep machine resources free as much as possible while drawing 1000+ object nodes and portraits, for 1.07 all child nodes will have data built somewhat 'on the fly', only persistant data will be rect markers (empty rects); that behaviour forces me to drop the Bookmarks tools because I have no idea of how could I bookmark something that doesn't exist yet or does not exist anymore.
    So, if anyone is heavy user of bookmarks for navigation, make sure to not upgrade.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  33. nuverian

nuverian

I love it! Great additions you add there. Keep up the great work and thanks

34. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Thank you Nuverian.
    I will submit 1.07 to Asset Store around the this weekend :)

Random note: guys, for reason only god and UT knows, 'Select Children' simply can't work when children are deactivated while shift+drag selection do work... *me runz to the hills*
    Looks like UT did code GameObject.FindSceneObjectsOfType() in a way to ignore deactivated objects.
    ** Nevermind, fixed ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  35. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Oh I forgot to tell:
    On 1.0.7 hierarchy panel now does accept drag drop assets from Project panel :)
    However it will always drop as a root object for now, can't drag asset and parent its instance to another game object at same time.
    Edit: Ok, I've done some voodoo to auto-parent the dropped object. It will be parented to the node that is under mouse.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  36. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

1.0.7 Source submited to Asset Store :)
    I can't guarantee UT will accept the update, since this update adds tons of new small stuff and there is a big chunk of re-writen code to introduce culling on the hierarchy, I need to wait for UT to confirm that everything is ok with the package before I start to convert new code to the free version. As soon as UT tells me it is alright, I submit the free one.

A tip for those thinking about purchasing the open source version:
    For next months I will slowly work on new integrations and after I've finished a big new feature to conclude 1.1, price will rise. And every time a big(I mean big) tool is added price of source will also increase a bit until this set of tools hits around $100 on Asset Store.
    I won't publish different packages for 2.0, 3.0 and so, will be this same package, ever. Also, when features that require Unity Pro are added I won't include these features on free version because most users won't be able to use them anyway.
    I plan to expand this tool to cover everything UT don't care much about scene management and level design, emerged some new plans now that so many developers are using Hyperview.
    So, source is $30 bucks now, 1.0.7 is going up to $35, it is just sooo much better than previous ones.
    That includes the code, mail support and direct help when you need to make deep modifications, not forever but at least until I die :)
    If you think is worth for your needs, you should buy before price jumps over your head ;)

For my friends using the free version:
    Don't worry guys, I *hate* lite versions of software and I won't do that to you. You still get everything I can offer, just Unity Pro only features won't be included in free version (if I ever add anything like that in this package).

Well then... Waiting for 1.0.7 to go live...

Edit: Oh, I forgot to tell what I will work on after I release 1.07 free:
    ° Show/hide wireframe of selected objects.
    ° Panel to list game-objects with missing components.
    ° Panel to list game-objects containing a given component type.
    ° Panel to list game-objects by tag and layer.
    ° Introduce Marquee-Menu on Scene-View. (very early experimental concept).

Till later folks! :)

37. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This was on my notes as a must... I couldn't do it before, but with new re-written node structure, based on tests I've done here this will be totally possible in future update! Filtering objects by components will also allow us to see the underlying children hierarchy of the filtered game object, early test:

Notice how the game objects named 'SAME' are drawn on the panel, I didn't really do that rofl. Its natural node behaviour due to its structure.
    'OBJECT' does have a Camera component so it shows up in the panel; but its child 'SAME' does have a Camera component too, so it is listed both as root object and as a child of 'OBJECT'.
    Hope it is like what you had in mind ;)

38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

39. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yes, that is what I meant. At this moment it is a no go, I am just researching how to do it because there's no API in Unity to allow an easy way to build something like that; but at this moment this is the main item I want to add next and I will keep looking for a good way to do it.
    I've though of Layer editor too, but I though nobody would want to use that, now I will add that to my research list too. Cheers!

40. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Wow, amazing! Didn't know this is free.
    Thanks!

41. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Please, note that the version up in Asset Store is 1.0.61, it is very basic compared to 1.0.7 and performance is horrible because it doesn't workaround UnityGUIs CPU overhead. I will submit 1.0.7 free as soon as UT greenlight the source version.
    The code is just too much different for 107, will take some days to update free version.

---
    Oh well... Drag drop asset to hyperview does not work on Windows and I don't know why.
    Under windows, Unity blocks the drag action to everything but hierarchy panel, don't know if I can workaround that.
    I will have to take a close look at this issue.
    Ok, I've fixed the drag&drop for Windows, but I had to remove the visual mode. The mouse pointer on windows shows a disable cursor, but drag will work.

---
    Ive figure out the issue presented by Felicio. It was caused by a silent crash caused by the API provided by UT to frame an object on scene view when there is no instance of a scene view panel.
    Ive fixed it and will be available on 1.07 when UT approves the pack.
    Ive always fixed the annoying "cleaning up leaked texture" for the rewritten portrait cache system.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  42. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello. I've submitted Hyperview 1.07, free version, to Asset Store.
    Luckly you guys can have it before next weekend. Enjoy!

---

There was a GUILayout mismatch introduced on DLL 1.07 when re-parenting node rects;
    Fixed, re-submitted as 1.071.

43. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello! Hey guys, 1.07 source is out, check it out!
    Edit: 1.07 free Hyperview now released too, enjoy!

---

Also, I'd like to share what is coming for 1.1 and beyond, I 'l.o.v.e' it! :rolleyes:
    I was experimenting with an event system for Hyperview to make easier to expand and add new tools on the future. Simple API is almost done; Later on the road I want to add the ability for us users to add custom toolbar buttons where commands execute custom macros of actions on Hyperview or anything it interacts with within Unity.
    Using these events I will be able to pass events to a log window as strings and users can bookmark these events as compiled actions and later use these actions as a simple button;
    Users will be able to code their own actions too and make em run without the need of creating .cs or .js files...
    Maya users will recognise this again rofl! ;) But instead of Mel/Python scripts, it will run C# compiled code where you can write whatever you want to do in Unity. 100% secure, all your code will go through Unity's compiler before it runs, so if you make some crazy stuff Unity just won't let you run the code like any C# script.

The log/input window is not done yet, its just an experiment for now, but there is already a command line field working 100% :D
    Sorry, no JS or Boo, only C# syntax... But hey, cool stuff is cool!

44. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hey folks, as a start for the upcoming Marquee-Menu system I've been playing around with the hack I gonna use to draw OnGUI stuff in Scene view panels.
    Ended up building a HUD for selected objects which can be disabled/enabled in View menu, after upcoming update of course:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  45. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello again! Initial version of Marquee Menu is done; Draw-back of this is that it needs Hyperview's window to be open else this menu won't show up... But if a Hyperview window does exist and is a hidden innactive tab, marquee menu will work just fine.
    I have the feeling I may still want to add more actions to these buttons so I don't know when I will update from 1.07 ;)

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Cool update, would be nice to have a option for custom item in this new menu, anything thats in the unity menu could be added here with an option menu.

47. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I don't get it, please explain :)
    Some items from Unity's menu are locked, mainly from File and Edit menus. What do you mean with 'custom item' in menu?

48. reddotgames

reddotgames

Cool addon!

49. fano_linux

fano_linux

Bruno acho que ele esta querendo algo que eu tb gostaria sem ter q programar, criei alguns scripts pra me ajudar no desenvolvimento, mais pra tudo tenho q programar.. Pelo q eu entendi ele quer q tenha uma opção de add atalhos. Tipo, duplicar objeto, <no menu do seu soft ter uma opção add custom, dai ele escolhe o evento e pimba funfando easy...> hehehe eu acho né...falow ai e congratz pelo produto ta bacana

Uma dica seria adicionar teclas de atalho, mouse as veses mata por questoes de velocidade.

50. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Thank you RedDot!

So let me see if I understand... You mean scripts that you've created, you want an option to show those scripts on the marquee menu just like 'Component > Scripts' in Unity's menu where it shows a list of every script you've created?
    Is that what you mean Lars? That may be a problem because that script list may become a giant menu item thus I was just ignoring that thing.

Obrigado pela dica Fano!