Unity Community

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    Terrain normal maps put a smile on my face.
    If you are looking for next gen lighting, I have been building a lighting engine for Unity the past 6 months. It contains real time global illumination, and physically accurate area lights and works on all versions of unity. Check out the forum thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/233...p-Area-Lights)

2. Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    Yeah... thought so, but just wondering how safe is it to rename it? Can you continue safely working on a 3.x project?
    It's just a folder name...Unity would have to be really badly programmed if changing the name broke it. (Hint: Unity is not really badly programmed. )

--Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

3. Location
    Newton, Massachusetts
    Yes, yes.. very easy.. unfortunately right now I got some critical projects I'm working on and don't want to risk shaking any pots
    Well, Unity 4 doesn't boot into any old projects. It currently boots into Angry Bots. 3.5, however, boots into the previous project I had open. You could also make backups of your project folders just in case. Jost don't try to work on something in 4 and then decide to go back to 3 with the same project.
    OliverSimon
    About: Homepage (soon)
    Projects: Exilium | LD22 | LD24 | LD26 | VoicePack: FPS & Fighter

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    It's just a folder name...Unity would have to be really badly programmed if changing the name broke it. (Hint: Unity is not really badly programmed. )

--Eric
    To be fair: LOTS of Windows apps break if you rename their folders. Just the nature of Windows. Unity having it's origin on a Mac likely has less reliance on externally stored components. Biggest issue (I think) that come with renaming the folder is file associations break, but they should point to the Unity 4.0 once that gets installed.

That brings an important point: Unity update projects once you open them in the latest version, so be careful opening them up in Unity 4. Keeping the old Unity 3.5 wont be any good if you update all your projects to 4.0
    Starsman Games
    Follow Starsman Games on Twitter, Facebook or Google+

5. Location
    Boston, Ma
    I am more interested in the documentation

6. Posts
    Theres a tessellation example. So cool!
    If you are looking for next gen lighting, I have been building a lighting engine for Unity the past 6 months. It contains real time global illumination, and physically accurate area lights and works on all versions of unity. Check out the forum thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/233...p-Area-Lights)

7. Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsman Games View Post
    That brings an important point: Unity update projects once you open them in the latest version, so be careful opening them up in Unity 4. Keeping the old Unity 3.5 wont be any good if you update all your projects to 4.0
    Of course, everybody has current back-ups of their projects, so even if they upgraded a project they can always just restore the backup if necessary. Right? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune_Imaging View Post
    I am more interested in the documentation
    That's included with the download as always.

Quote Originally Posted by rab236 View Post
    Well, Unity 4 doesn't boot into any old projects. It currently boots into Angry Bots. 3.5, however, boots into the previous project I had open.
    Not quite...Unity 4, like Unity 3, has the option to always start with the project wizard (which I would recommend), and otherwise opens the last project you were using, but Unity 4 and 3 have separate preferences so the "last project" can be different for each one. Also, if you enable the project wizard, the list is separate for each one as well.

--Eric
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

8. Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Unity 4, here I come!
    A programmer is someone who is so irritated by small inconveniences that they will spend weeks writing a script, so they can spend days debugging same script, so they can save five minutes of their time, which they will waste reading slashdot.

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnLogick View Post
    Submit a bug report?
    What info do you need in a bug report , if you PM me an email address I'll go ahead and screenshot it and sent it to you
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

10. Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsoulasa View Post
    What info do you need in a bug report , if you PM me an email address I'll go ahead and screenshot it and sent it to you
    That's not what you do...you use the bug report app.

--Eric

11. Posts
    "GameObject is active but a parent is inactive. Active state is now inherited. Change the parenting to get back the old behaviour!
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    "
    Can I disable this , its really anouying for my project ....

I didn't have a bug, its just this ....
    Last edited by keithsoulasa; 11-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

12. Posts
    whoa my heart stopped for a moment after hearing the news

13. Location
    Boston, Ma
    Quote Originally Posted by brilliantgames View Post
    Theres a tessellation example. So cool!
    KICK ASS!!! I'm about to play around a bit in Unity 4... And tessellation would be awesome for my game
    Last edited by Neptune_Imaging; 11-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.

14. Community Manager

What announcements?
    Exactly why I did what I had to do! XD

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesLeeNZ View Post
    easy test meltdown...

1. rename folder
    2. start 3.5

fails: no
    success: yes

;P
    where do you rename the 3.x folder on your computers ?

16. Location
    California
    Yes, yes.. very easy.. unfortunately right now I got some critical projects I'm working on and don't want to risk shaking any pots
    Beta is not worth screwing your projects up. I started downloading then read this thread and stopped. I'll wait.
    "Remember Ctrl-Z is your Best Friend!"

"Complaints are Opportunities"

"On the 7th Day God Clicked Render"

"If Graphics were important, then MineCraft would be the Worst Game in History."

My Website: HyeStudios

17. Posts
    Thought I would share my first few minutes of messing around. Here is a tessellation and bumped terrain example. The first screen shot shows the simple sphere with normal mapping and bump mapping. Nextscreen shot is the same sphere but with tessellation. No more modelling rocks.

18. Location
    Boston, Ma
    Is that with a shader?

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neptune_Imaging View Post
    Is that with a shader?
    Yep, theres a built in ready to go tessellation shader. Just import the direct x 11 tessellation asset.

20. Volunteer Moderator

@Meltdown - Just rename the folder. This isn't rocket science to have two versions of Unity on the same computer... I have about 6 of them

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast