Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.0 Public Beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We have just released our first Unity 4.0 public Beta which is available here! http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/download

If you are a pre-order customer you will have access to the Pro version of this Beta, while everyone else can access the Free version of 4.0!

No release date to be announced yet but we are making good progress thanks to beta testers feedback.

Don't forget to submit bugs in the usual way in the editor and post threads in the correct forums.

rasto555 likes this.
  2. Nanity

Nanity

YES, Mecanim here I come!

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Oh there.. I see it now.

4. macdude2

macdude2

Will we be able to have the one month pro trial now or will that have to wait until the official release?

5. cynel

cynel

we might have to wait but im so happy now we have a open beta for unity 4

6. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

Nested prefabs are still not included or am I wrong?

7. MrBoolean

MrBoolean

At this early point would I be able to purchase a new Android Licence and use it?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes. It is not the final release yet however so be aware of that.

9. MrBoolean

MrBoolean

so wait I wouldn't be able to use it after the first stable release?

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Of course you can. All I was saying is that it is not the final release which means that releasing software with it is not as ideal as with the final version.

11. Mikie

Mikie

Is 4b11 the same as 4.0.0f3?

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

No, there have been 3 private beta rleases between these two versions.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T

All right. Downloaded and Installed the Unity 4 free beta.
    Windows XP user here

So far its working fine for me. Stable and all.
    It appears to be faster for me. I don't know if that is technically true though.

Haven't checked out the new features because I'm only getting to understand them

14. cynel

cynel

i downloaded it last night but Ive been playing around with before i get back to work on my project

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Just a heads up, dont try and use this to get a comparison between v3 pro

Only came with an angrybots demo project? New demo only going in at final release?
    What about pro betas? (This will be the thing that might help me commit to the upgrade)

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Pro is just a license; it's not a separate "thing" with a different app or anything. Unity is Unity, there are no different versions for different licenses. Nobody's said anything about a new demo that I'm aware of...what's wrong with Angry Bots? :) It's still relevant, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a new demo with some Unity 4 features eventually (when the demo makers have had more time with it). See here for a license comparison; new stuff is marked "new in 4".

--Eric

17. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I expected a demo that would show off all the new features. Angry bots seemed identical to the 3 version (looks wise at least). Was at least expecting it to look like a dx11 app (hah, can I even define that... probably not)

As for the pro stuff, true enough its just a licence, but you dont get any of the post-rendering features of pro, or the navigation stuff. Either way, my game loaded, looked like crap, and had several glitches.

18. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well I think a nice way of seeing new features would perhaps be a selection of shaders other than the usual suspects to show off unity's fancy new abilities with dx11 - I'm assuming theres plenty that Unity Free can still good that strays into this area and if you want to make an impression, pretty graphics is a great way to make one. That said i personally wont be looking much at dx11 i suppose but i'd love to see some of the things Unity themselves have made sing during the development time

19. cynel

cynel

would mecanim work with key-frame animation or is it only exclusive to Motion capture data

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

For the moment, the option to upgrade to a trial of Pro is disabled, this will be re-enabled when 4.0 launches and you will be able to get a 30 day.

21. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Yep, I expected as much.

Guess ill just hold off until its out and see if I wanna upgrade.

22. Bill-Struwe

Bill-Struwe

Will the beta DL interfere with the version I have now? A seperate program? I hope so, so that I'm not stuck with this

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

seperate program but when on osx ensure to rename the unity folder as unity installer will always install to the applications/Unity folder independent on it being present or not. also ensure to backup the example project in the shared user folder if you want to be save.

everything else is kept seperately to my knowledge, I've 2.6.x, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.5.6 and 4.x on my machine