Search Unity

Looking for Tutorials for isometric Strategy/Tactics games

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Kordanor, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Kordanor

Kordanor

Heyho,

It seems like most tutorials in Unity focus on a direct control of the main game object, be it a character in a shooter, jump and run game or a car.
    Currently I am even wondering a bit if unity is the right vehicle for classical isometric games, as mechanics from such games are hardly ever mentioned. But then again a lot of new RPGs like Wasteland2, Project Eternity and so on say that unity is the engine of choice.

So I am looking for a tutorial which shows some game mechanics you can find in old school games, like Jagged Alliance, Xcom, Civilization, Dark Sun (Baldurs Gate and so on).
    For example:

-Click to Move Movement-System with unit targeting and so on, maybe with different heights, facing the “terrain is not a collision” problem
    -Camera settings to show an isometric environment, maybe even 2D sprites used as Objects (like in http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/879484120/antharion )
    -fog of war mechanics
    -maybe even turn based mechanics instead of real time

And as I just finished a book about C# (in visual c#) it would be awesome if there would be some tutorial showing how C# works with unity.

I mean, of course you could say "try some other programs first and then start these specific ones yourself".
    However my motivation comes and goes with the stuff I learn. And while the recent tutorial I finished (it was about cars) taught me some basics, personally it feels like wasted time spending hours on things like functionality of wheelcolliders, which I will probably never use for my own projects. I also bought a book about unity and it comes with the perspective of a 3d artist, but well, 2D would be perfectly fine for me and seeing that it needs several hundred pages till introducing fields...well...doesn't exactly make me confident that I got the right book there...
    So...you get what I mean - would be great if there is an option to learn unity with doing the stuff I actually care about.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Braza likes this.
  2. samsmithnz

samsmithnz

Hi Kordanor,

I came across your thread trying to archieve the same goals as you. I have managed to setup an isometric camera with basic movement controls and I'm starting to build a tiled level. How far did you get? can we/should we use this thread to share ideas?

3. Kordanor

Kordanor

4. samsmithnz

samsmithnz

Thanks, I'll have a look.