Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] MusicBox PRO - Fancy Music Player with Crossfade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slmgc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. slmgc

slmgc

Latest update [December 3, 2012]:
    MusicBox PRO is ON SALE NOW! 80% OFF!

Update [November 6, 2012]:
    I'm collecting feature requests for the next version of MusicBox PRO, so if you have one, make sure I know about it! ;)

Update [October 30, 2012]:
    MusicBox PRO 1.1 is released! It includes some API changes and a demo scene which
    shows an example of in-game track controls and dynamic tracklist initialization from the folder.

MusicBox PRO 1.1 now also includes 10 beautiful music tracks
    from the great fantasy composer Mattias Westlund![/COLOR]

Hey there, fellow developers! ;)

While I was working on my new game project, I was looking for a good music player in
    asset store for easy music management. But, sadly, there were no music players which
    had all of the features that I needed. So, I've decided to write one myself. No sooner said
    than done :D Let me introduce my new asset for music management:

MusicBox PRO 1.1

MusicBox PRO is a handy music player for easy integration into your game projects.
    It is written in C# with a nice set of features, such as:

1. Tracks shuffling

2. User-friendly interface

3. Unity Unity Pro (versions 3.5 4) support

4. Tracks crossfading with configurable fade time

5. Multiple playlists and MusicBox instances support

P.S. I hope that you'll find it useful, guys :)

P.P.S I've attached the MusicBox PRO API Reference, so you could see all of it's public methods and properties.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. OHKnight

OHKnight

Very interesting! Does this have an in game UI for the end user to switch tracks and adjust settings like volume skip track etc? Is it possible to have multpal music lists to create an in game radio station for example? Great work hope you'll continue to expand this!

3. slmgc

slmgc

Nope, it doesn't have an in-game UI for changing settings, but it has an API, so anyone could implement any kind of UI with a little bit of scripting.

Yes, you can have multiple tracklists (it's a plain List<AudioClip> after all) and switch them on the fly. Or you can have multiple MusicBoxes and activate either one of them when you need it.

I've decided to attach the MusicBox's API Reference to my post, you should check it out.

Thanks, I already have some ideas, so be sure I'll do ;)

4. hwise

hwise

looks very nice! i'm new to unity3d and i've got a question... i don't know c#, but i do know javascript, can i use musicbox with my game in javascript and how hard would it be to integrate?

5. slmgc

slmgc

Thanks! :)

Sure, you can mix assets written in any programming language supported by Unity, be it Javascript or C#. You just need to import MusicBox into your project and drag and drop the script named MusicBox onto a gameobject. That's it! ;)

6. hwise

hwise

oh cool! looks like you'll get my $10 soon lol

7. slmgc

slmgc

Great, I'm sure you'll find it useful :)
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, I'll gladly help you. And don't forget to post a review ;)

8. slmgc

slmgc

I've submitted for review a new version of MusicBox PRO with an example scene which shows how to initialize tracklist from the folder in run-time and also shows an example of in-game track controls. I'll update the thread as soon as the asset will be updated.

9. slmgc

slmgc

MusicBox PRO 1.1 is released! It includes some API changes and a demo scene which shows an example of in-game track controls and dynamic tracklist initialization from the folder.

MusicBox PRO 1.1 now also includes 10 beautiful music tracks from the great fantasy composer Mattias Westlund!

10. slmgc

slmgc

I've tested MusicBox PRO with Unity 4, so it is official now: MusicBox PRO works nicely with both Unity 3.5 Unity 4!

11. slmgc

slmgc

Hi!

I'm collecting feature requests for the next version of MusicBox PRO, so if you have one, make sure I know about it! ;)

12. slmgc

slmgc

The thread's title has been updated.

13. lazygunn

lazygunn

a bpm counter and api for mixing tracks based on time or beats (And continuing support of such features) and you got my money. Maybe a bit much to ask but seriously useful for dynamic soundtracks

14. slmgc

slmgc

I've never intended to turn MusicBox PRO into a sound processing monster and
    implementing a bpm counter would require to solve quite a few problems (IMHO):

1. Fast bpm detecting algorithms work quite fine with primitive trance-like looping tunes, but
    they won't help with complex orchestral soundtracks (even non-complex rock-like music)
    and soundtracks with a non-constant bpm.

2. You can't mix a pair of soundtracks smoothly if they aren't at the same bpm without
    bringing the tempo up or down. And if the both soundtracks are at the same bpm you
    don't really need a bpm counter to mix them smoothly.

3. Bpm-detecting algorithm requires pre-loading quite a part of the both soundtracks you want
    to mix into the memory, so it won't help with the streaming music and would raise the memory
    requirements which is not a good point for mobile platforms.

4. Using a dynamic, non-predefined tracklist (generated at runtime) would require to detect each
    track's bpm at runtime which is also not good for mobiles.

5. Solving most of the above problems would raise the price tag, much higher than needed, without
    bringing much benefit to the average user.

What kind of music do you want to mix? Is it a battle music, which should begin at the battle's start
    then the looping sequence should be played until the end of the battle, then the ending part of the
    battle track should be played (like it was implemented in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment)?

If you could describe the problem you want to solve, then maybe I could look into it and find an
    appropriate solution or somehow extend MusicBox PRO.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. lazygunn

lazygunn

Basically i'd be using music with strong beats, bpm counters are as you say just about pointless for songs without strong percussion, i have the Visualizer studio asset which is excellent but a little overmuch for just this particular need. As much game music tends to be dancy, beat-driven music (And particularly mine) i would love the ability to manipulate it based around its percussion, splitting it into beats, bars, sequences etc, mixing a song or from a choice of songs you know as having the same tempo at some point, or even a completely abrupt crossfade or stop/start that stays in time with the beat by knowing if its on a beat or wether it should wait for the end of a bar and so on.

My music tends to have beats whatever its tempo or mood, i've just been thnking about mixing it in some form as my ambitions for a game's scope is expanding and VS is the only asset as far as i can see to let you analyse sound and work with it like this, and it doesnt (its not in the scope of the product) to organise sets of music

I'm just being lazy i suppose, i could probably do this using VS but it would be nice for a faster cleaner option for just this

16. slmgc

slmgc

Thanks, I'll look into solving this problem with mixing tracks using their bpm and I will try to integrate a solution (if I'll find any) based on a fast and simple algorithm, but it won't happen anytime soon. I don't want to let you down, but it looks like using the Visualizer asset is your only suitable solution at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. lazygunn

lazygunn

No problem, as always just throwing stuff into the pot!

18. slmgc

slmgc

MusicBox PRO is ON SALE NOW! 80% OFF!

19. slmgc

slmgc

Bump. Don't miss it out! ;)

20. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

21. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

22. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

23. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

24. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

25. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

26. slmgc

slmgc

Bump.

27. Dougbott

Dougbott

Is there a functionality for loading songs from a users folder. Ie. They search and find there music folder and then this automatically pulls songs from that selected folder?

28. slmgc

slmgc

Hi, thanks for asking!

Yes, MusicBox PRO includes a demo scene with a simple GUI player, which automatically pulls songs from the Resources/Music folder.

29. lusho_games

lusho_games

Can it play music continuously between scenes?

30. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi there, so does this asset allow for dynamic switching of music as you mentioned above with the Baldur's gate e.g.?

31. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

does this system support loading external files at runtime (from a random local folder on the user's machine)? looking to implement support for users to add their own soundtracks / etc

Thanx

32. slmgc

slmgc

I'm sorry for such a long delay. As you could see, I'm not actively supporting MusicBox PRO anymore - it just don't worth it. As for your question: I can't answer your question with 100% confidence, because I've not seen source code for quite a while. I think it could be possible, MusicBox PRO supports multiple instances and dynamic playlists.