Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I add curves to mecanim compatible animations?

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by agentsmith, Oct 17, 2012.

1. agentsmith

agentsmith

In the Mecanim Beta Tutorial, Will talks about using curves to shrink the capsule collider during a jump. I'm using Mixamo's "Unity 4 Ready" Prototype Animation Pack. If I use the tutorial's FBX file, there is a + sign under curves to add them. Under the Mixamo's .anim file there is no + sign under curves. Does anyone have experience with this package?

Thanks,

Jordan

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. UnLogick

UnLogick

Well thats a tricky question. :)

Curves are only supported with Mecanim Humanoid and Mecanim Generic Animations. The .anim file is a resource of the old animation system, I know it wont be supported for 4.0 and I've seen no communications saying it will be supported in the future.

Mixamo has written on their .anim based packs that they're compatible with 3.x and earlier but not compatible with Mecanim. Similarly they have made .fbx based packs which they state are Unity 4 ready.

The Unlimited Mixamo Animation Store does say the animations are available in FBX from their site (possible as a seperate purchase, you'll have to talk to Mixamo I guess), but clearly states they're not Mecanim retargetable. But if you obtain the FBX files from Mixamo they should certainly be Mecanim Generic compatible and such allow curves.

3. agentsmith

agentsmith

Hey Unlogick,

Mixamo's Prototype Pack supports Mecanim (beta12) as of a late fix pushed through the asset store today. I'm currently using the animations in Mecanim's state machine but under curves it's missing the + sign. According to Mixamo these animations for this specific pack are retargetable. With the exception of the curves and the ability to create clips from animations it seems to be working with Mecanim. I'd like to use curves to adjust the capsule collider like in Unity's Mecanim tutorial. Perhaps this is is something Mixamo needs to fix; I just wanted to ensure it was not a setting or option I overlooked.

http://u3d.as/content/mixamo/prototype-animation-pack-unity4-ready-/31t

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. brady.kelly

brady.kelly

Had the same problem starting last week on that package. Communicated with Mixamo yesterday to get this fixed. They were unaware of the issue and came back and said that they would post a new package with refreshed files yesterday afternoon.

However, the issue appears to be the same using the 2.10.0 version of Mixamo's product. This would very easily fixed if they posted the @animation.fbx files instead of .anim files.

5. UnLogick

UnLogick

I just took a look at that pack and they are indeed Mecanim humanoid and I see no curve either. I will investigate further. :)

6. agentsmith

agentsmith

@UnLogick- Tak! Very much appreciated :)

7. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

We currently only support adding curves on .fbx files. The little + in the inferface will be removed with .anim.

thanks.

pp