Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EWS GUISkin Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModStoryGames, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

EWS GUISkin Editor

GUISkin Editor is a rewrite of the GUISkin Inspector to make it cleaner in appearance,
    and adds some functionality to ease the creation of GUISkins. This is only a small part
    of a larger project to make Unity even more User-friendly than it already is.

In the original GUISkin Inspector, the GUIStyles were presented as a list of fouldouts
    that each contained a list of GUIState foldouts, which finally contained the values to edit.
    Some values were also exposed to edit inside the GUIStyle foldouts, and settings for
    the entire skin were in a Settings foldout. This structure just looks ugly,
    which can happen with Unity's automatic Inspector GUI.

GUISkin Editor cleans up the interface by condensing all of those foldouts into
    two popups in a single toolbar. The first popup allows you to select the GUISkin's
    Settings panel, a GUIStyle to edit, or the Custom Styles Panel. The second popup
    allows you to select the selected GUIStyle's Settings panel, GUIState to edit, or
    the GUIStyle Size Calculator. The GUISkin Editor will remember the last
    Style and State you had open, as well.

The Custom Styles Editor adds two toolbars: Manager and Search.
    The Manager Toolbar has a popup for selecting a Custom Style (by name),
    and buttons for adding a new custom style or deleting the selected custom style.
    The Search Toolbar has a Search field and a Search Toggle. When Search is ON,
    a list of all Custom Styles whose names contain the search text will appear beneath
    the toolbar.

Aside from these features, the GUISkin Editor also adds a Preview Window so
    you can see the changes you make live. When looking at the GUISkin Settings, you'll see
    a few controls in the Preview window to get a feel for what they look like together. When
    looking at a particular GUIStyle, you will just see the control for that style. If you are
    looking at a custom style, you can choose from a small list of controls to apply
    the style to.

GUISkin Editor is FREE. Get it here.

Tell me what you think! Any questions? Suggestions?​

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The EWS GUISkin Editor can now be purchased from the Asset Store!

It is currently at version 1.1 (now with Undo support)!

Any questions, suggestions, comments, or criticisms should be left here or sent to eddy.ews@gmail.com. Thank you!

3. jashan

jashan

Hey, that looks like an awesome little helper. Indeed, working with GUISkins is pretty awkward unless you have a custom editor!

4. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Thank you!

Several of the editors are just tedious to work with, or have weird layouts. I would like to do some of the components, as well. Probably do Camera next.

5. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Skin Editor is free, now.

6. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Update submitted to the Asset Store.

Fixed some bugs.
    Removed the "Clear Skin" button.
    Added the ability to Copy a GUIStyle from a GUISkin.

7. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The Update has been accepted and is now in the Asset Store.

8. showoff

showoff

This is a awesome and convent tool and I would like to thank EddyEpic for putting it together. It is a life saver for developing quick gui skins and style setups but I am having some problems with it. everything seems to work okay but sometimes when I make a custom style and build the game to test it. It's as if it has undone everything I did and I have to recreate the custom style again in the custom slot. If this some kind of bug or do I have to do a save some how. I have done scene save and project save but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

9. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Thank you for trying out the GUISkin Editor! I'm not sure what could cause that kind of problem, but I'll check it out as soon as possible.

You say it only happens sometimes? Do you mind telling me exactly which features you used when the GUISkin reset itself?

10. showoff

showoff

I was creating a custom style. I would name it and put a background image on the button and I would pick a font type. Then I would d a build to test.

11. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Okay, excellent. That will be easy to test. I'll be able to test it tomorrow afternoon. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could cause this. Oh, and one last question; are you using Unity 3.5 or 4? I won't be able to run a test for 4, as I don't have it anymore (it doesn't cooperate well with my current PC).

12. showoff

showoff

I am using it on unity 3.5

13. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I wasn't able to replicate the bug you described. I tried creating a few different custom styles, each with different settings, and applied them to different GUIs. I ran them in the Editor and in a Test Build (standalone), but there did not appear to be any problems.

I have, however, made a note to watch for the bug you described when I start the next update, which should be coming with the next GUI Editor update.