Search Unity

The Woods

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, Oct 15, 2012.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Everyone is doing a project within the horror genre so I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I hope to bring something unique though and I can't quite divulge what that'll be just yet. Here's today's start on the project. I'll keep this thread updated as more assets and scripting unfold.

My idea is more along the lines of focusing on solving a mystery...much like a game of Clue. There are objects to be discovered, pieced together and revelations to be revealed from these actions. Along the way there will most definitely be threats to the character, moments of "combat", etc.

Here is a link to a webplayer build showing the simple character movement and the beginnings of a forest.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/HorrorWoods/WebPlayer.html

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hmm, haven't tried it yet, but have you considered adding hills and such?

3. fano_linux

fano_linux

Nice idea... i love that kind of game.

Litlle tip: your mouse sensibility is strange, it's like i have to hold it back to point to the direction i whant.

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@SevenBits - Yep, I haven't even begun sculpting terrain. The cabin doesn't have any textures either. Trying to focus on some gameplay elements and follow up with more work on the art side.

@fano_linux - Yep the mouse has some serious lag on it right now (MouseLook script modified)...It's a work in progress too and I'll get that a bit sharpened up for folks.

By the way the build is updated now with a new Webplayer. I've implemented a portion of what gets the story kicked off (kind of a neat effect).

5. JaZZyCooL

JaZZyCooL

Tress are not made solid, they are like transperant, player can pass through them if you can make it solid that would be awesome, nice work sir.

6. goat

goat

Although I see that style of house here where I live it looks like it belongs in a swamp to me. Like Cajuns and Creoles.

7. kenlem

kenlem

Are you targeting mobile?

8. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

i like it, you haven't done much collision work but i guess thats at a later date. The meteor falling from the sky looks good, also the sensitivity isn't too bad just sort of weird. keep it coming

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes this is a backwoods type of environment. I know the trees don't have their colliders yet...I can easily put that on the prefab and then refresh trees on the terrain (easy fix :) No this is definitely not targeting mobile...PC and Mac only. I'm around 300 draw calls right now lol...still have optimizing to do.

10. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

could you expand on the story line or is it still in progress ? really interested

11. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

also sorry for multiple posts but when you turn really quick it seems the character is colliding with its self or something it just bounces back

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've made some progress in setting the ambience of the scene that the story begins within. I am very much still working out plot details and story arcs right now as quick notes. The high level overview of the story would be that you are a detective assigned to a remote rural area of Arkansas to come back with information/clues on the disappearance of a local family. There will be a local federal agency search of the surrounding woods, interviews with locals within the town, etc. You arrived with the knowledge that this family had come upon some good fortune within the last few months. They started a small business selling homemade jewelry (carved stones) made from chunks of meteorites recently found in the area. People who purchased these adornments, were beginning to claim that the necklaces and bracelets were causing old illnesses and maladies to simply disappear. Some internal theories are the following: the family moved away suddenly to avoid an onslaught of media seeking the story of the healing rocks. Another theory is that the family were murdered for financial gain and buried in the wilderness...the murderer/thief stealing any and all raw meteorite materials he could find. A 3rd and final theory would be, that the family is alive somewhere out in the woods or in the hills locally. It is possible the exposure to the raw meteorites had an adverse affect on the entire family? Perhaps they were driven mad or paranoia took a grasp on them?

Link to Updated Webplayer:

Now all of this aside...my story is leaning towards some kind of end conflict. The story does not end well, it doesn't wrap up all tidy like in the movies. I'm open to suggestions even here. I'll keep pushing forward with the tech and things I know I'll need to tell the story no matter where it goes. I can always modify and change gears down the road. The Marine Corps used to use a phrase "adapt and overcome". I'll use that mantra here.

Also as a side note: Anyone have any pointers on how to get a WebPlayer build size down? I'm around 30MB right now..and want to get it back down a bit.

13. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

wow the progress you've made is great although something is up with the flashlight. the story line is really coming along it seems great keep it up !

Attached Files:

• $asd.PNG
      $asd.PNG
      File size:
      924.9 KB
      Views:
  14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah I am not sure of the standard workflow for setting up a flashlight light source...right now it's a spot light with a light cookie on it. I'm not happy about the intensity of getting closer to objects being so blown out. I'm working on a fix today.

15. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hey JamesArndt, i've tested the new webplayer. looking good the textures. Just missing some details at the house, maybe normal map, i don't know if you use it and maybe a volumetric light at the flashlight. Mouse still laggy haha... i know it's a development state, and another thing is i can enter the house, just put a collider on it.. But it's nice loving it... keep it up

Good job man

16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Working on coming up with a title logo.

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

19. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

looks good but when i'm walking i'm jittering up and down like an epileptic

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@MellowNinja - Hmmm something must not be right with the head bobbing script. On my end I was seeing nice subtle head bobbing motion. I'll look into it right now. Fixed the issue now, made it more subtle.

Also the demo project will now be located on the official page for the game:

http://www.fatboxsoftware.com/#/the-woods-demo/4567143675

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  21. fano_linux

fano_linux

What is the deal with the flame tree?

The forest is looking good

22. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

the meteorite hits the tree setting it on fire

23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Updated the webplayer with a new home on my official web site:

fatbox Software - The Woods Official Page

I've also reduced the webplayer by 10MB in size...so now it loads 25MB quickly.

As for the tree on fire...I've had to clarify on other sites (CGTalk) that I have not implemented the intro cutscene yet that starts with an animation looking up at the meteorite in the sky. There is definitely functionality and many elements missing right now. I just want to keep testing and playing (with the public) from Day 1 so this ends up polished by the end. You're all my giant QA team! This week you'll see quite a bit of new functionality that is now missing. Keep your eyes open :).

24. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

looking good but still is the bobbing mean't to be quick to simulate every footstep ? its a little too quick for me or its just my browser or something. also i can still see some artifacts in the light cookie. the house is pretty small in proportion to the character but you're getting better ! keep it up

25. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looking very nice James!
    Although I have to agree the jittering is still quite noticeable.
    BTW, is there anything happening in the demo? I walk around for 10 minutes I can't find anything to do. I went to the burning tree, nothing. Also, there seems to be some kind of collision problem with the cabin and the player model. I can't enter the cabin from the front - I have to go from the side to even get infront of the door. But I can't open the door!

26. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@I am da bawss - Yeah I've just went ahead and removed the head bounce script. No one on any forum was quite feeling that functionality lol. There isn't anything going on yet other than the meteorite crash. I'm hard at work, late nights working on the inventory system right now. Once that's in place I can start including the stand in objects for the items you'll need to find. I think this is going to be a longer term project for me as the amount I need to do to fill out the story is a lot. The cabin needs scaled up right now, it's actually a foot and a half too small in relation to the character. I promise cool functionality coming shortly (this week).

@MellowNinja - Yeah I'm gonna leave the light be for now. It's on a QA list of bugs to squash later on. Top priority this week is a functional pick up system...finding objects, they glow when spotted, grab them and keep them on your person (gets updated in a GUI inventory as an icon) and then the ability to equip, use or drop the item you picked up. I have a core of that functionality working right now.

I'm still trying to come up with some core elements. I have the entire story arc already, but it's all of the in between that needs filled in now (Hey I'm like the writers of the TV Show Lost). I'm taking some inspiration from an older NES game called Maniac Mansion, an older PC game called Mortville Manor and another gamed called Maupiti Island on the Amiga. Anyone have any amazing ideas or insights into the murder/mystery genre hook me up.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  27. HolBol

HolBol

Removed.

28. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@Fishman92 - What is removed? Is there an issue with the webplayer on the web site?

29. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I just recently saw this movie "The Cabin in the Woods". I thought its amazing movie for game ideas. Check it out.

30. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I saw that in the Redbox, I just might have to check it out. The cabin in my game isn't really any focus of the game's story (it's just where you're staying while in town). I'm working right now on building the large house, barn, etc where much of the exploring and action will occur.

31. MissingPixel

MissingPixel

Enjoying your progress so far!

I myself have a similar project on the go, although I am only working on the terrain at present.

Looking forward to future updates

32. kenlem

kenlem

Don't we all?

Attached Files:

• $p1.png
      $p1.png
      File size:
      312.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  33. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@kenlem - Well said...but there's enough room for everybody! Actually I noticed joystick controls on your version...is this for mobile? That's really cool. I haven't even considered my project for mobile yet. Really depends on the final reception of the PC version.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  34. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Completed asset today for The Woods. This is a home that will be featured in the very first environment of the game. I should have it into the playable demo build this afternoon. It will be one of the structures that you'll be able to enter into the interior.

Also don't forget if you want to keep up with updates to my development find me over on Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodsGame

35. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

And now two shots showing this asset in the engine (seen under proper environment lighting, etc).

36. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

when will a new build be out i've been scouring this thread waiting :D

37. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looking real good James!

38. fano_linux

fano_linux

Nice House...

39. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

40. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah it does look very similiar. Looks like I'll have to change the name of my project. I didn't think the name was taken. Mine's PC based (very high res), not sure it would ever run well on mobile platforms. Not sure if this was inspired by my project or in development well before? I guess these horror type games are just a dime a dozen.

41. dtg108

dtg108

Hey James, I've been following this for a while. It looks great, you're getting work done pretty quickly!

42. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Sorry to be bearer of bad news James :(
    I guess horror genre is getting pretty crowded these days, and everyone is getting similiar ideas or inspiration from similar source - hence the outcome is very similar titles and games coming out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  43. TerrorZumbi

TerrorZumbi

Please, PC version.