Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanim CMU MOCAP Data Problems from Asset Store???

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by GXMark, Oct 14, 2012.

1. GXMark

GXMark

I've recently installed the Unity 4 Pro Beta (7) and am having problems retargetting MOCAP data to an avatar.

My process is

1. Import avatar then configure it using the Mechanim avatar bone mapping screen. Works Fine
    2. Import CMU MOCAP Walk fbx animation from the asset store

Problems is that the MOCAP data does not have a simple avatar integrated with the animation data. Really why should it as its simply unimportant and wasteful. (The demo videos of Mechanim show simple avatars integrated with the fbx data).

Can i have an answer from Unity team why this is neccessary? Seems no aparent reason why it should have.

3. WIthout this simple avatar i dont get the option to copy over to the avatar i imported thus i can't preview anything.

When i run the game the animation walk does not get applied to the avatar.

Can someone help me where i'm going wrong please?

2. goat

goat

Have you tried the Unity 4.0 beta 11 yet? Or do you still have the beta 7?

3. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

So if you already have an avatar defined for the same skeleton used in the mocap data, what you need to do is this (in latest beta):

- Go in the Rig tab
    - Set animation to humanoid type
    - Copy from other avatar and pick the avatar you have already created.

4. Dantus

Dantus

I have the same issue. It is not even possible for me to get a valid T-Pose with the CMU animations from the Asset Store.
    Instead I donwloaded some animations from this site, opened them in Blender and exported them as fbx, imported them to Unity and tada, it works :) .

5. goat

goat

Thanks Dantus PierrePaul

6. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Why is it impossible to get them in T-Stance ?

7. Dantus

Dantus

I did some trial and error and haven't studied it carefully. I don't want to say that there is no way to get it working, but I had no chance to find it. I'll quickly explain step by step what I did. I tried it with several of the files. The screenshot was made with 01_08.fbx.

1. Set Animator Type to Human
    2. Apply and then Configure...
    3. The basic mapping doesn't look too bad.
    4. Let's try the T-Pose (Result is in the screenshot)

No matter how much I tried to adjust the mapping, I was not able to find one that roughly works. The animation looks certainly horrible like that.

On the other hand, those steps worked with the animation files from the other source. I was able to import it, get a valid T-Pose without work and the animation was as expected. I wouldn't want to use it like that for an actual product, but I see it as a successful test.

Attached Files:

8. UnLogick

UnLogick

Is that the result of the automapping?

Click Pose|Reset
    Click Mapping|Clear
    Click Mapping|Automap
    Click Pose|Enforce T-Pose

That generally works for most models, but if it doesn't work you can try something else.

Click Pose|Reset
    Click Mapping|Clear
    Fill in many/all bones manually and then use Click Mapping|Automap to fill in the remaining ones.
    Click Pose|Enforce T-Pose to get it into something sane and then perhaps finally hand tweak it.

if this doesn't work please file a bug report and make sure to attach the model.

9. Dantus

Dantus

Yes, that is the result of the automapping. I had the impression that the results of the mapping are somewhat unpredictable, but the step I missed was the Pose Reset. With it, the results were as expected and the fine tuning worked as well.

Thanks for the relpy! That was very useful!