Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh 64k limits

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tgraupmann, Dec 2, 2008.

1. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I'm running into the 65k face limit per mesh. Are there any plans on increasing the limit?

I suppose I have to choose where to spend all the polys and share faces where I can.

2. Jessy

Jessy

What's the reason for not using the Terrain Engine for this example?

3. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I need more control with importing assets and being able to place splats. The current API is not documented in those regards, so I am reinventing the wheel. Plus I procedurally generated this mesh with the Perlin package.

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Not that I'm aware of so I'd suggest you work within that limit for now.

5. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I'll just dynamically create new GameObjects and MeshObjects as needed to support the high poly limits. It appears to be just as fast if they share materials.

6. specweapons

specweapons

I find hundreds of questions like this and answers like there is no workaround, or split the mesh, etc. I however do not see many small examples of how to (Best Practices/Best DataTypes) to use to do so. I know GameObjects contain transforms, I know it takes a MeshRenderer and a MeshFilter, and since you have a sizeable mesh now you probably need it to have a transform. However, what I don't find is a simple discussion of some questions that naturally arise. To make matters worse some conversations head off to discussing vague terms like submeshes which I do believe do not even solve the problem. Just a few more questions then. (Please don't tell me Post a separate question else the next nerd that comes along will also have to read 5,000 of these useless replies to a super cool common question:

1. Can you have more than one MeshFilter/MeshRenderer in and Object/Component/GameObject?
    2. Are GameObject's the only or best/preferred place to store a Transform, MeshFilter, MeshRenderer, to display your separated just less than 65K vertices mesh, or are there multiple varied other places/object types/data types, you can pair these together in?
    3. Say I define a Class in C#, and give it a transform, meshfilter, meshrender, does it have to derive from anything to become a GameObject?
    4. What are the correct public (I would guess public) name to give meshfilter, meshrender, transform references in a scripted (MeshContainerDohickey) class/definition.
    5. Why the crap are these ideas mentioned in every freaking posting with the text, "64K Limit", "64K", "65K" instead of someone saying, "There is no workaround", obviously there is a workaround. It's splitting the mesh somehow, and the common best practices of doing so is what they are going to have to learn how to do. It's not like it's that obvious to a newby, you can't just say well split it. Put it in another Game object. At least discuss a few Data Structure ideas, limits and best practices.

There is a workaround for anything, if your a positive thinker. It's called not quitting!