Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Steampunk FPS game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by roger0, Oct 12, 2012.

1. roger0

roger0

I will be updating this post as time goes on.

Latest videos

showcase

building destruction

Description

It's a first person shooter multiplayer game set in a steampunk/dieselpunk world. Like always, there will be two sides, however instead of competing over spawn points, the teams will be able to build bases like a RTS. Both teams will need to capture or build resource buildings in order to gain resources, construct more buildings, and churn out vehicles with factories.

There will be a lot of different types of vehicles in the game. Which includes the common ones like tanks, artillery, and airplanes. But also uncommon ones and oddities like landships, melee vehicles, and one wheelers. There will also be airships in the game that players can pilot, that range from small scout balloons to mighty zeppelin battleships.

Everything in the game will nearly be 100% destructible, all buildings will be able to collapse to the ground. This is one of the highlights I want the game to have. Most FPS either dont have any destruction or limited destruction (like battlefield 3). I dont want to hold back at all.

For the game to make money I'm planning on it to be free to play with in app purchases. Players will earn points in game that they can use to purchase more upgrades and different vehicles. They could either aquire them through points or just buy them with real money. However there will be veteran items thrown in that players can only get with points. Since these maps will be fairly large I would like to get as many players into one game as I can. At least 64 players.The target platform is PC.

There's a brief overview, I hope some people might take interest in the development

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. divinity

divinity

3. roger0

roger0

I'm building a destruction system that might be in the game. Here's a quick preview. The goal is to use this for the damage system for the zeppelins. The body of the airships will be made out of a rigid structure. I'm anticipating the players to be able to shoot peices off of them. The peices are set to isKinematic until they are shot at so they can fall off, but there should not be any floating sections of the ship. Which is what this destruction system aims to avoid. It's still in early stages, but its getting there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcYyVYuzRdI

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. roger0

roger0

I'm hoping to get more videos up soon. I'm taking a break from the destruction system to work on other areas. Some things on the to do list are.

1.The multiplayer only works on the homegroup network of three computers. I need to hook up another router so I can really debug whats going on, to make it work on the internet.

2. I need to make seats in the vehicles so multiple players can get into one vehicle.

3. The graphics and models need to be developed. In order to better present the game and make it more interesting to work on.

5. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

A first person shooter in steampunk setting? I don't think I've seen that combination before.

What are you planning to do that is different from the usual fps gameplay? I think destructible objects provide some interesting possibilities, I've been thinking about that lately.

Love the funky tune on the first video B)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. roger0

roger0

I believe the base building aspect will be sort of unique compared to the normal spawn capturing. Also, everything will cost the team resources like constructing buildings and vehicles. So there will be more weight to loosing stuff. Such as a large expensive airship.

Also, I want more logistical activities people can do than most FPS games, so there's more to do then just going after the enemy. Such as constructing buildings, fortifying areas, repairing vehicles, transporting, and putting out fires.

7. tapanui

tapanui

hey i would like to help out with the concept art eg.design, terrain etc just p.m me if you want it and will do it for free

8. roger0

roger0

Lately I been working on a multi seat vehicle script so multiple players can get inside of one vehicle properly. Different seats can go with different guns. And if all of the seats are full, then no one else can get in. Sounds simple at first but I must of spent over a dozen hours implementing it.

After that I started to look into terrain engines to buy for the maps. I'm very close to buying world machine. I can get mountains pretty easily that are more realistic and detailed then I ever done before.

Any critics and suggestions are welcome. It's always nice to hear from people about what they think to keep me engaged and motivated.

9. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

I think you have to do some research into steampunk designs and how the mechanics work to power things. Right now the vehicles look normal, but just with a heavy duty thick steel and rivets.

10. roger0

roger0

I dont want to do everything pure steampunk. I think old looking designs in general looks neat. Such as ww1 styled vehicles. There will be practical vehicles along with abstract/steampunk creations in game.

11. Fennris

Fennris

This is called dieselpunk, it gets inspiration from the interwar era, 1920-1945.
    Steampunk gets inspiration from the Victorian era, 19th century.

A combination of dieselpunk and steampunk would be awesome if done right.

Anyways, looks nice so far, keep up the good work!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  12. roger0

roger0

Over the past week I have been integrating the Ultimate FPS camera package into the game and modifying it so it will work for my current FPS setup. I am also combining it with the modern warefare FPS script found on the forums so the first person controls will be a combination of three different things. I have bought world machine but im having trouble getting the terrains into Unity properly. So while im waiting for answers on that I decided to have some fun and model a few vehicles.

This is a mobile artillery vehicle. It will probably be a medium to semi heavy class. The driver sits outside in the front area. Which makes him exposed to fire, however the vehicle is really meant to sit and park in a relativly safe area and bombard.

13. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I really like the idea of the visual, vintage cars as if they were made of thick war tank steel, but they look rather plain. Try adding details like pipes steel rings (like reinforcements for the structure), mechanical parts popping through the steel casket etc. I'm assuming they're still WIP, that's why I didn't say anything before.

14. tapanui

tapanui

looks great :D

15. DAGames

DAGames

What did u use to sculpt the terrain?

16. roger0

roger0

world machine

17. DAGames

DAGames

I just downloaded it. Its pretty awesome

18. tapanui

tapanui

can it be uploaded to unity?

19. roger0

roger0

I'm trying to figure that out right now. I keep having trouble with the terrain being super noisy when exported to Unity.

20. tapanui

tapanui

noisy?

21. roger0

roger0

Yeah, but I fixed it now. :D

Here is another update. I have been modeling a couple art assets, and have been facing attention on implementing the destruction system to the airships. Below is a video showing part of a airship frame getting hit by something. Eventually it gets weared down and a chunk of the structure falls off. I'm anticipating a lot of airships in the game to have this kind of detail to damage. However I'm running across performance concerns that must be addressed.

small factory

22. McMayhem

McMayhem

I've been watching this project for a while now, and I just want to tell you how impressed I am with your work. These are simple, yet very high quality assets that you are creating and the concept is interesting. I myself am a huge fan of the steampunk genre and am very much looking forward to this.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

23. roger0

roger0

Hi. Thank you very much!

24. tapanui

tapanui

looks really good

25. roger0

roger0

I began working on the destruction for buildings. I am using battlefield 3 as a reference for how it will work, although I'm aiming for it to be even better. Below is the first structure I am prepping. Most of the areas of the building will be breakable. If the building gets hit enough times at the bottom, the whole thing will fall down. Once its finished and in Unity, I will finally be able to write a script that will make it work.

26. Cheburek

Cheburek

is every square a separate game object?

27. roger0

roger0

the structure will be divided into separate sections, which will be different gameObjects, also, each section will instantiate 4 gameObjects for each side ones its destroyed. Then I will write a script that handles destroyed parts so if two sections that are next to each other are destroyed, they will combine into one big hole.

28. Cheburek

Cheburek

very interesting! Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

29. tapanui

tapanui

looks great

30. augasur

augasur

Your destruction looks great, waiting for more. Nice tank too :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  31. tapanui

tapanui

32. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

I kinda loved Red Faction Guerrillas version of the destruction system. If you could implement that with some improvements, that would be mewst excellent :D

P.S, LOVE the models man, you're a great inspiration to us all ;D

33. roger0

roger0

Hi, thanks for the comment. I would like to do destruction like red faction although my instincts tell me its going to be much more harder work. I want as much destruction as possible but it doesn't have to be super intricate.

For the buildings, I plan to have simple destruction rules like if a certain amount of sections are destroyed on one floor, then all the floors above it will collapse. For maximum realism I would have to develop a structural stress script for that instead. I'm experimenting with a structural stress script for the airships, but applying it to buildings might make it overly complicated.

34. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Looking good, Doesn't seem very 'steampunkish tho'

35. tapanui

tapanui

its more diesel punk and steam punk combined

36. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Yeah no that's fair enough ;)

That sounds pretty close to it though! Keen to see how it goes :) Just, whatever you do, DON'T add separate chunks with rigidbody attributes hahaha

37. tapanui

tapanui

38. roger0

roger0

Over the past week I've been doing heavy work on getting the factory sectioned out for destruction, and finding out what workflows work best. I've abandoned the first idea I had for dealing with the chunks of pieces. It was becoming overly complex. Instead of instantiating rubble around the areas it was hit, the pieces themselves will have that detail. So they will just need to disappear, and the pieces around them will look jagged on the edges. This new system could also replace my other attempt I did with the airships since its much less complex and straightforward.

I also looked into level of detail and performance concerns with having multiple destructible buildings in the scene at once. I would like to have entire cities be destroyable, I found some hope with that in making a lower rez version of the factory and phasing out the high rez one at a certain distance, keeping the performance good. However I need to do further test and get more props in the game in order to be sure it can handle it.

Here's a short demonstration of the destruction I made, enjoy :D.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  39. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

That is super super sexy, but i was watching a developer commentary and they also had something similar to yours and it was also a fps game, what he said is that they allow a-lot destruction but they made it so there was at least some cover even after the building was destroyed for foot units or it would just be a flat field after the buildings where destroyed and would be boring and the vehicles would dominate anyone on foot.

40. roger0

roger0

In my game the teams will need to build factories in order to produce vehicles so they will want to protect their buildings. Also when buildings are destroyed I will probably make large debris that troopers can hide in.

And, what other game are you referring to?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  41. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Red Orchestra 2: Hero's of Stalingrad

42. tapanui

tapanui

why would you say that?

43. augasur

augasur

WOW, I was impresed by the destruction, it looks realy beautiful. I would like to hear more about your detail destruction system :) I am looking forward to this project. Good luck !

Augustas

44. roger0

roger0

There's nothing fancy to show this week. Although I've been working diligently on coding and getting everything to work over a multiplayer game. I had to rewrite a few scripts and revise a lot of them. I've been learning and building the game at the same time so some of my older scripts had to be redone to meet my current level. But in the end, the scripts are much cleaner and less prone to errors. Some stuff I worked on this week are.

bullets hitting players over a network
    building destruction over a network
    multiple seats on vehicles
    factory buildings spawn vehicles
    destroyed version of vehicle once health depletes.
    pausing/unpausing game

45. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

Ahh my eyes, So beautiful :) Good Luck on the game!

46. cscotttaakan

cscotttaakan

Yo this is soooooo sick lol

47. roger0

roger0

I've taken a couple weeks break from the game in order to work on another project. I've picked it up again though, so there will be more to come.

The next things on the list to do is to get a decent character in the game with animations. Then I will be working on networking and making the game work over the internet so I can gather some game testers. I want to build a large city level with destructible structures to push the limits of what can be done, and work from there.

48. roger0

roger0

Here's the first airship in the game I will be building. It's a battleship class based on pre dreadnaught ships. I plan on modeling the interior as well, and fitting it with destruction.

49. roger0

roger0

Here's some images showing a few of the armaments the ship will have. A medium aa gun, light aa gun, and cannon battery. Most of the guns will be concentrated in the gondola. However I plan to add 2 large caliber turret guns on top and anti air guns spread out around the airframe of the zeppelin.

50. MickM

MickM

Looking better and better every time I see it... love it mate!

I like the building damage too, definitely opens up lots of possibilities!