Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Concave Collider - Generate compound colliders with one click! [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, Oct 10, 2012.

1. UGTools

UGTools

Try the same recommendations I gave him, hopefully that will help.

2. UGTools

UGTools

Finally it seems that the Asset Store EULA (part "END-USER's Rights and Obligations") already takes care of everything. In fact, you can't add a different license to any asset store content than the one that Unity provides.

The key part is "It is emphasized that the END-USERS shall not be entitled to distribute or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) the Assets in any other way than as integrated components of electronic games and inter- active media"

It also says, concerning group projects, only assets that are editor extensions (the Concave Collider isn't one) are licensed per seat.

3. UGTools

UGTools

Version 1.11 has been uploaded to the Asset Store fixing this issue. Thanks for the report!

4. UGTools

UGTools

Anybody experiencing problems with the Concave Collider and Unity 4? We've tested it and everything seems to work OK, but we'd like to have more feedback if possible.

Thanks!

5. Zarack

Zarack

Hokay, so I've recently encountered an issue when trying to compute my hulls. I get this error:

I think it is Unity that's breaking here and not the Plug-In? Maybe? That dll (ConvexDecompositionDll) is missing and for the life of me I can't find a fix.

Edit: It happens when I click 'Compute Hulls'. I can't find the dll in any of my saved copies/backups. I haven't used the CC for this project in about 3-4 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. UGTools

UGTools

Do you have the Unity Free or Pro version?
    That dll comes with the Concave Collider package, after installing it is located in the \plugins folder of your project, so you should be able to see it there.

7. Zarack

Zarack

I have the Pro version. I tried to reimport the UGTools package and that didn't fix it. Can I eliminate the entirety of the plug-in and redownload without worrying about my hull data?

8. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, unless you specifically chose to store the hulls on disc and for some reason you decided to put them under the \Ultimate Game Tools folder :)

9. Zarack

Zarack

Ah! So, I'm dumb, and you're awesome. I went into the Asset Store and told it to reimport the Plug-In that way. It noticed I was missing everything under the /plugins folder. Reimporting in the project hierarchy did zilch. All's well now.

PS: Awesome response time. No posts for 4 months and an answer in ~5 minutes. Great support!

10. UGTools

UGTools

Nice! I guess you probably copied the entire \Ultimate Game Tools folder from another project and forgot to copy the \plugins folder too.

And it's 3:35am here! ;)

11. Banksy

Banksy

Hi,
    Regarding the previous skateboard problem it penetrating the bowl.

I wonder if using the "DontGoThroughThings" script (available on the UnityWiki would help. I had similar problems after adjusting dynamics properties etc.. Edit>Project settings > Physics this script helped alot.

Good Luck

12. Zarack

Zarack

Me again! Just curious if there was a way to save altered hull data? When I generate the colliders, there are sometimes unnecessary hulls that I've found can be deleted to give me the actual shape I initially wanted. However, I can't prefab these items unless I generate the data from the beginning. Attempting to modify the hull data in the project hierarchy is futile. Ideas?

13. UGTools

UGTools

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. You are trying to prefab a mesh with a set of hulls that are the original ones minus some that you deleted by hand. I guess you activated the option that saves the hulls to disk as .asset in order to be able to instance the prefabs correctly.
    But it is giving you problems because somehow you need to regenerate the hulls? What exactly happens?

14. Zarack

Zarack

You're pretty close. I just don't want the mesh data it creates to include the unnecessary hulls. There are sometimes giant encompassing hulls that are quite superfluous, and I just didn't want them to be a part of the prefab. I found a work around by creating my own prefab and manually finding the unnamed hulls and attaching them to the hull 'x' mesh collider. It works with a few hulls, but if there were more than 10, I'd cry.

15. UGTools

UGTools

Once you've created a prefab you can't delete the hulls on the project window, but you can remove them from a prefab in the hierarchy window and then hitting "Apply" on the top part of the inspector, where the prefab options are located. Hitting Apply will update the prefab removing the hulls you deleted on the hierarchy window.

16. lod3

lod3

Is this for performance reasons, or in response to how your tool's algorithm works? Been using your tool to add colliders to world objects in my project, so just wanted to verify there's no additional runtime overhead (aside from collision used).

17. UGTools

UGTools

This is because static objects don't have any limitation and use their own mesh as collider when you add a mesh collider component to them, so using our tool for world objects doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, dynamic objects need a convex collider to work properly and what our tool does is approximate them as much as possible to the original mesh in order to have precise collisions.

18. lod3

lod3

Personally, I wouldn't add a mesh collider to a world object unless it was incredibly simple. For example, I can generate a single 96-vert hull with your tool that will neatly encompass a 6K+ vert car. That's huge savings in my eyes, and why I wanted to verify there was no additional overhead with your tool.

19. UGTools

UGTools

I'm not really sure about this, in case of static vs dynamic objects it's not only about mesh complexity. The physics engine can create a lot of precomputed data structures to speed up collision checks, but it is difficult to know at which point a simpler collision mesh becomes faster. The only way would be using the profiler but I agree a 6k car mesh can be simplified a lot :)

20. lod3

lod3

I should clarify: I am only using your tool on static objects, so no physics are being used or required. This is why I was asking if there was any additional runtime overhead, or if once the hulls are created, the only cost is the collision itself.

21. UGTools

UGTools

No, the only cost is the hull creation process. Once they are created they are like any other Unity collider and the only cost is the collision itself.

22. lod3

lod3

Perfect!

One last question, a request... for an option to display the exported hull assets in place of the wireframe. Overdraw often makes it hard to tell if the wireframe hull is covering what you need, where using the generated hulls with a default material would clearly and quickly show if the collision needs to be more complex.

Thank you.

23. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, I can do that. You mean like a solid colored hull with some user controlled transparency right?
    Give me some days (we are releasing a new exciting tool this week!) and I'll do it :)

24. lod3

lod3

Awesome! Yes, that's exactly what I mean :) Looking forward to it.

Thank you.

(What's your new tool?)

25. UGTools

UGTools

It's a surprise :D
    I'll upload a video and a demo tomorrow! Hopefully the tool will be available by the end of the week

26. lod3

lod3

Nice.

27. UGTools

UGTools

28. sburgoon

sburgoon

Just purchased Concave Collider, and wanted to say, great job on the tool, really a time saver. I had two requests, one that is quick, and one that could be quick, but might not be, but I wanted to throw it in there anyway:

1) Option to inherit (preferably by default) layer and static attributes from the object when creating hulls

2) It would be awesome if the script could look at all child mesh objects, not just the mesh on the main game object. So, for example, say I take a bunch of mesh prefabs and wedge them together to form a debris pile. It would be awesome to be able to use your script to generate one big convex hull for the whole pile (or a few smaller ones). I assume it wouldn't be too hard to build a combined mesh from an object's child meshes, before you run your algorithm. Anyway, awesome tool, I just wanted to throw those possibilities out there.

-Sean

29. UGTools

UGTools

Thanks!

1) No problem, should be done quickly
    2) This will take a little more time but I'll look into it. I've had different ideas for this because sometimes you may want to build a single hull set for the different objects and sometimes you may want to have separate hulls for each object.

30. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very nice tool.

Wondering if this can generate the Concave Colliders dynamically in-game. If yes which platform does it support.

31. UGTools

UGTools

It can, but it would only work on win and mac because of the plugin use

32. nicknasti

nicknasti

Ok, so I don't see a mention of if this would work on a character to generate detailed colliders.

33. UGTools

UGTools

Do you mean a skinned character? In that case I'm afraid it won't work, sorry.

34. RegisB

RegisB

I was going to buy this, but does that mean that concave colliders won't work on iOS Android ?

35. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, it will work. The only restriction is you need to edit it using the Pro version for Mac or Windows, but once you create your colliders it will work on any platform available.

36. Slaktus

Slaktus

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I need to paint a texture on a complex model. I use RaycastHit.textureCoord to grab the UV range, which requires a mesh collider. The question is, does Concave Collider's generated collision mesh map to the model, or is it a hack lining primitives and multiple mesh colliders along the mesh as a composite?

If not, there's a feature for your next version: Break apart a mesh into convex shapes, then apply standard mesh colliders to the fragmented mesh to retain mesh collider-specific functionality. I can see it being useful in a ton of contexts, especially visualizations.

37. UGTools

UGTools

Sorry for missing this post! sometimes I don't get notified by e-mail and I'm not sure why that is.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly. If you can use the mesh collider for that you don't need the concave collider for anything. You will only need it if the object is a dynamic rigidbody and it needs to interact with another dynamic objects during runtime :)

38. Receptor

Receptor

I want to buy it! :) One question: it works in a web player?

39. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, the deployed application works on all platforms :)

40. UGTools

UGTools

v1.13 available on the Asset Store!

Changes:

• Convex decomposition dll doesn't crash anymore under Windows. It prints an exception message.
    • Hulls now get assigned the same layer as the source object.
    • Changed "Create Mesh Assets" parameter name to "Enable Prefab Usage" for better understanding.
    • Changed "Create Hull Mesh" parameter name to "Add Hull Meshfilter" for better understanding.

41. UGTools

UGTools

Hello everybody!

We have brand new social media links to follow our latest asset store updates, videos, new releases and work in progress.
    For those of you interested, here they are:

42. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Sorry if this question has been asked before. But why don't you support the free version of Unity?
    Also, your last version dates back to 19th of November 2013. Are you still developing the tool?
    Important questions before I consider buying the tool :)

43. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Marco,

The Concave Collider uses an external .dll/bundle on Windows/Mac and external plugin support is only available on Unity Pro at the moment. There is not much I can do about that...
    I haven't released any newer versions basically because all features are there, but I'm open for any requests just as in any other of our tools. You've got full support through forums/mail too :)

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

I hope you can help me because I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this out on my own, but... I'm working on a game where players can shoot a weapon that can temporarily make perfectly spherical holes in the level. Would it be possible to use this tool to generate the collision meshes for those holes by having it analyse the local geometry and make a new mesh?

45. UGTools

UGTools

That would be possible with the standard mesh collider as well. I guess the level is static so that would be the best option.

46. Defcon44

Defcon44

Hello !

I have a problem with concave collider in my unity project.

Then i use concave collider script i have this message :

DllNotFoundException: ConvexDecompositionDLL
    ConcaveCollider.computeHulls (.LogDelegate log, .ProgressDelegate progress) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/ConcaveCollider/Scripts/ConcaveCollider.cs:170)

But my ConvexdecompositionDll is on my plugin folder and i don't touch him.

Can you help me please

47. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Defcon44. Which platform are you using? Do you have the free version of Unity or are you using the Pro version?

48. Defcon44

Defcon44

Hi UG !

Hi use PRO version of Unity.

And i use Windows 8.1

-----------------------------------------------------
    I'm Ok

i have re download concave collider and it's work

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  49. PeterJK

PeterJK

Just to clarify - we can generate concave colliders dynamically in-game in the current version?

i.e. the Concave Collider component has a function you can call from your own code to generate a collider mesh at runtime?

Or are you saying this would be theoretically possible if it were supported in a future version?

Will definitely buy if runtime generation is possible! :)

50. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, you can do it. But it would only work on Windows and Mac builds since it requires a native dll/bundle :)