Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

AH Janpec ! If you are interested, Still no Mudbox files but the meshes from the webplayer :)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36367206/4JanpecONLY.rar

2. virror

virror

Why all the talk about fingers when he only asked about feet fingers = toes? : p
    This is great news and something that will benefit the community a lot i think!

3. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Good point. Here's what I was talking about :D

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

My fault writing "Feet fingers" instead of "toes" :p This might lead to wrong comprehension.

Just to make things harder, I´ve introduced a third choice:
    It don´t have separated fingers like the first one, but gives all finger shape (will probably need triangles near finger connection to do some local tesselation).
    Not showing topology yet because I need to cover this concept first. I´ll prepare some nice images to show topology soon.
    Latter I´ll show you guys some options for hand and probably head.

I´m opening this for you guys because I believe this it´s very important to give you the power of decision on the process as this will be acessible for everyone.

About LOD, I´m planning to keep the same texture to work on all LOD´s (done lot´s of tests on that in the past, there are some strategies to make it work without distortion) , so, if we decide for fingers, they need to simplified but present even on lowest LOD.

5. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

hmm. On feet fingers aka toes, I'd still prefer the simplified version (middle). They would for sure look fantastic in toe nail cutting simulation based games but in 99% of all game characters, these polys are just wasted underneath feet clothes

May sound weird...but if anyone really really needs toes, it could still be a prob, just like shoes would be

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

May sound weird...but if anyone really really needs toes, it could still be a prob, just like shoes would be -> Not weird at all, I just want to be sure what you guys think it should be the standard. :)

7. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

I've forgotten where I've seen it but I had a character customizer with an option, to switch between toe and toeless version. The original was scaled down to hide underneath the foot with toes. The seam was blended with a transparent gradient at the ankle. Worked nice

Maybe its easier to choose, if we could see the relation to the overall polycount.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. GameDevGirl

GameDevGirl

Hey!

I think we can do without toes. Normal maps are enough to make a realistic looking foot.
    Perhaps adding a little more detail and attention to the shape of the foot would be great.

This is what I have in mind:

9. Khyrid

Khyrid

Some of the characters I'm working on will have bare feet and I have yet to decide if I'll try to model toes or not.

Normal mapping can definitely supplement instead of using massive polys all the time. The golden rule of this is to only model what will affect the contours, so unless the game needs to see light between the toes, I think the second version with a normal map should be fine.

If a character is going to have large and bare feet however, modeling each toe may be necessary for it to look good.

10. cynel

cynel

im excited for this character generation even thought im on a retreat.

11. Doeko

Doeko

Hey, this is really great, I tested out the characted editor. I like it.

I think you could do more though, with the customization. They still all look the pretty much the same. I'm reasonably expert on human face/skull so I think you should add the following to have more variation (from most important to least important):
    -Chin projection and size (vertical and horizontal size)
    -Jaw ramus length (look it up on wikipedia, it decides the incline of the jaw, now your characters all have 90 degree angle)
    -Brow bone prominence + (eyebrow) height
    -You already have cheekbones, but you only have prominence. You should add cheekbone height as well. The distance from the eye of people's cheekbones varies greatly as well as the prominence of them.

Either way great work.

12. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! Thanks for the feedback!
    The demo is very old and is not updated, the most updated version of what is being done is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E400OVxBjT0
    Since this video, many changes have already been done. Believe me, things will get really amazing =D

13. cynel

cynel

this will really help me Create Random NPCs quickly

14. janpec

janpec

Florian, your MassEffect thingy on WIP thread is amazing. Sadly i cannot see your webplayer becouse i am right now at home in extremely slow connection.

Fernando please keep fingers as they are, no need for polygon reduction.

15. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks man but its actually original ME content. I did it just to have an instant sci fi thing to test stuff :)

@Fernando:
    I know that there are some technical limitations, that makes it impossible to change the topology of the basemesh but what about "simple" custom morphs? Can we change the excisting base meshes, by moving some vertices or maybe even have a couple of extra custom morph sliders, based on modified mesh ?
    ...sorry if I bomb you with questions. I'm so excited and I just cant hide it :D

16. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! Hi there =D
    I´ll manage to post a lot of stuff tomorrow.
    What I can say for now is that all of you will have a very flexible solution, it will be easy to have custom content.
    As Caitlyn already said, you´re gonna be able to integrate this tool into your own projects.
    There´s a lot of new things I´ve done those last days, I´ll manage to get you updated in some hours ;)

17. janpec

janpec

Countdown to new update:

18. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Here we go:
    Lots of images of topology, and some rough results of normal map + diffuse on that new base mesh.
    It´s ~3.275 vertices without hair. This count includes inner mouth.
    On the last images, it´s possible to see a seam on neck area, this will be solved on next steps =D

Please, feel free to propose topology adjusts, we are looking for the best standard here, something that works well for you all :D

(Right click on images to get full resolution version)

human zbuilder high poly mesh

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Wow ! That's an improvement ! :) Its looking fantastic

I know there are some differences between a realtime mesh and a sculpt base but If I take the base to mudbox/zbrush,
    the resulting normal map, will be related to the sculpt base, on its lowest level.
    Lets say, all my female characters will have very loose hanging boobs. ...think about that for a while... :)
    The sculpt will automaticly deform its base and the baked normal will just show the difference between low and highpoly.

Aiming at my last question...
    If we will be able to intergrate custom morphs, that fits the normal output, the base would probably need some small tweaks, to be a good sculpting mesh as well. (stretched polys, triangles, etc)

Maybe you could share the base, as it is. This way we could see, how the topology behaves in sculpting apps and offer small tweaks :)

20. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    All those variations were created exactly that way =)
    My workflow for generating normal maps is working on that base mesh the way you´ve spoken. In above examples, I´ve projected Human Zbuilder high poly meshes to get fast results, but it´s quite easy to create new normal maps from sculpting the base mesh itself.

The concept here is that you have freedom to sculpt any detail, but the base mesh will be the original one, not the low poly version after high poly sculpting. So all mesh based deformation will happend based on real time changes with the "sliders".

I´m planning on recording videos explaining basic workflow, but it isn´t as complex as it looks.
    For now, I won´t be able to give acess to the base mesh, as it´s still wip and will receive many changes.
    If you guys consider there are topology adjusts that need to be done, feel free to post them here =)

The great bonus on the workflow we are considering, is that the normal map is already projected to the righ UV layout, and with no usual errors that might happend when forcing a bake between different topologies. (This works on zbrush and Blender multiresolution/sculpt, I still didn´t tested on mudbox and 3D-Coat).

For example, this sculpt ->http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3217895/EveImages/Male.jpg was done using my original base mesh. The big difference here is that I´m now working with two separated base meshes, one for male and one for female avatars.

21. janpec

janpec

Fernando ..... amazing. Update looks excellent, topology is beyond perfect the only thing that could make it better is if we could use custom base mesh and morphs for creatures.

22. elias_t

elias_t

Hi Fernando. Thanks for the update. It's looking great so far.

I want to ask, have you thought about lods? Or the possibility to exclude features like inner mouth?

I understand that the above might be a hard task to do. So a second question is, could we use a polygon reduction plugin like cruncher to create other levels of lod?

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! Hi there =)
    Sure, LOD´s are already planned and tested on older version of our project, and for sure one lower LOD won´t have inner mouth, that´s a fact already, and it´s really not that hard to accomplish.
    This mesh have ~3.275 vertices, So I want to reach a ~2.000 version and a ~10.000 version.

Thanks for writting :)

24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It´s aways possible to use lot´s of imagination and smart normal maps to get nice creatures. This is a simple example of how far you can change avatar shape:

25. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

But thats part of the problem. It limits sculptors to the "detail-level". The freedom part is the knowledge that bigger deformations doesnt make it in the final result anyway, if there are no sliders to get close to the original sculpt :D
    The baked normal map displays the precise difference of Low and HighPoly without any tweaks or sliders. Your result looks perfect, because you shaped your base towards the ZBuilder meshes but it gets really tricky, if you are aiming for something own.
    For example stylised, toonish or monsters.
    The result will never get close, to what was sculpted. When vertices are sculpted and moved along its tangent, they will change the position inside the given UV-Layout. This only leads to stretched information in the texture but thats normaly fine since the sculpted lowest geometry stretches it back ...but not if I just use the texture and put it on the base.
    Thats an overall problem. No matter if its zBrush/Mudbox/3DCoat/Sculptris or Blender.

Don't get me wrong. I know that different topolgies / own basemeshes are technically impossible but not morphs based on the given lowpoly mesh. Its keeping its vertex ID, topology and UV-Layout. I'm doing that for a lot of characters inside of mudbox or 3dsMax.
    Right now, the workflow would be to
    -sculpt a unique character,
    -bake the normal,
    -put it on the base (wonder why it looks so different)
    -trying hard to reshape it with a limited number of sliders.

If its an average human character, it might look okay but sculptors will have to guess, how the result will look, when it gets unique.

I'm aware that its still wip. I was just asking to do some tests and find out myself, where and why the topology should be adjusted.
    I was not claiming, that it should be final then or anything, to start production with.

I've prepared a couple of screens to point out some of the pro's con's. I'll up them tonight :)

26. cynel

cynel

wow im impressed

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Thanks =D

28. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Great feedback Florian : ))
    The result will never get close, to what was sculpted -> Have in mind that when you´re sculpting this base mesh, you´re not generating one unique avatar, you´re creating a normal map that could be used for hundreds of different avatars, with a high variation of volume, that´s a key point here. At the end, you´re not really sculpting THE avatar, you´re generating normalmaps that fits all avatars.

Considering that, the lowest subdivision level on zbrush/mudbox/blender/3dcoat won´t give much contribution to the final normal map data, simply because in the end, it can be reshaped to anything.
    For example, you might not have sculpted the base mesh considering this strange crazy dwaftlike guy, but that might be the shape a developer can give acess to the user to reach. (and this one is using the same normal map from the guy at right)

In the 3 examples I´ve showed (heavy/strong/skinny), the final shape was reached using "sliders", it´s not the lowest subdivision mesh generated from each specific sculpt.

For stylised, toonish or monsters I would consider other base mesh adequated to this purpose, but the important consideration here is: Having a cloth solution that can be used for any and all different avatar shapes is possible aiming for a specifir base mesh. So if I create a Werewolf basemesh and a Werewolf avatar system, there would have to be cloths separated for werewolfs / humans, for example. Each unique basemesh generates a branch ramification for content creators.

Again, thanks for your contribution! : ))

29. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

You're very welcome :)

I'm in a hurry and will write something tomorrow but here's a player with challenging meshes.
    Yeah, ...they might be a bit extreme but the important part...they all share the same base, with the same UV Layout.
    The second and fourth creature, in the front row are even morphs.
    Werewolfs and Humans could be friends, share clothes, create small wolf-humans etc ... <3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36367206/BasesLow_Clean/BasesLow_Clean/BasesLow_Clean.html

and a webplayer version with crappy quality :)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36367206/BasesLow/BasesLow/BasesLow.html

cheers
    Florian

30. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there =)

Can I consider you´re using a specific mesh data for each of those, even having the same topology? (not sure if you choose for vertex displacement)
    In my case, we can have hundreds of avatars sharing a single mesh data (or two, in case of male/female).

I do understand your considerations here, and they are VERY pertinent to the project. You´re creating amazing unique models, and can even morph between them if you want. But do consider that if you need all of those models on higher polycount, and if you want to handle a huge number of body shape variations, you would have a nightmare with memory usage.
    Following that, making content that can be used for all of those variations, and have topology freedom for creating this content, would be a headache.

I've prepared a couple of screens to point out some of the pro's con's. I'll up them tonight -> This would be great, again, thanks for the contribution with you ideas and experience :)

31. ecurtz

ecurtz

Did you modify the skeleton on that dwarf? I didn't think that was currently possible with Mecanim.

Florain, I agree with you about morphing the base mesh, but I'm not performance constrained on my project. Nice character demo, do you do freelance work?

I'm also very impressed with how well Fernando's solution actually works, much better than I would have guessed. If this actually brings some reusable clothing assets to the Unity store I'll consider that a huge win.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The dwarf has the same rig as all other male avatars.
    You can have an Idea of the cloth system working on the image below and watching those videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E400OVxBjT0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGOxHTAIX-w
    Both are quite old, but give the idea.

33. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

My project needs this so badly right now. I'm on pins and needles waiting... I really hope this releases soon, or at least I can talk with Fernando and Unity on letting me be a Guinea Pig for this project.

I'm creating a multiplayer game that requires ~100 characters in one area at a time... all customizable. This character system would be perfect for this project.

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there =)
    I´m specially not happy with the hand topology I´ve reached so far, and there are some adjusts for feet too. If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to share them.
    I´ll spend more time on those areas on next days, and also on more uniform poly distribution on arms and legs too.

35. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

indeed !

...and I hope he don't get all my critique wrong :D

Would be cool to get a little bit more feedback, on what people want to use it for.
    One click creating hundreds of humans, is for sure awesome but I guess, some people that are less skilled in modelling/rigging would like to use it, to create their few main characters or the main hero himself. The system would be perfect, to do that.
    I have zero animation skills and would love to start with a mechanim prepared character.

My request for custom morphs was not only aiming at the wish to have a character that looks like, what I have done in ZBrush but it also adds to the "crowd-system"
    If I'm creating a main hero, it can be pretty hard to reshape it with sliders. ...dont get me wrong. I love them ! They are perfect, to add lots of variation or just try things, faster than I could do it in ZBrush. I'm just saying, that the "original shaped character" would be the best starting point.

I know how extreme the example is but reshaping this guy, would be impossible. Especially because the texture got distorted on the UV's. I've sculpted parts of his cheekbones towards his jaw and now, the same map on the basemesh shows the jaw deformation on his cheekbones again.
    Thats really a worst case but things like that are happening in every sculpt, on every character, everywhere simply because the mesh is not only moved along its normal. You've avoided that problem by having a base, that fitted the ZBuilder mesh and a baked texture, without distortion, that had to be corrected with sliders.

Some character designs might be that extreme, that users would wish for a slider that increases boobs up to 250% ...but it only goes up to 100 and all the crowd variation are from 0-100. There's no chance to have huge boobed characters, just like it was planed in the game concept.
    Custom Morphs would allow to start with a certain style. Not just boobs but toonish shapes, werewolfs, Na'vi, Orks etc. The sliders would be great to work on top of that, to create those variations.

Let's say, we would like to create tons of unique looking orks...
    My desired workflow would be to put two additional fbx in the custom morph slots. (The left and right one in the underneath picture)
    Both are sculpted on your basemesh. They've kept their VertexID and the UV's. My current mudbox basemesh has nearly the same polycount as yours which ends up in just 2x180kb of low-polyness.
    The normal map of those extremes, could be blended in photoshop. Maybe we could have a slider, that cycles through a number of maps, that we add.
    If there would only be a main hero, a few high res maps would be okay but if someone is doing a crowd, it would need lots of variation. Otherwise it would look like the same guy in fat/skinny/black/with beard/without etc. So maybe someone wants to implement lots of low res texture variations.
    My orks are fine with 3x512 normal maps. The rest of the variation could be done with diffuse textures and sliders. Maybe tints or additional masks to tint parts of it.

Now that I got my "ork low poly extremes" implemented, I can tell the crowd creator to blend between them.
    The guy in the middle shows a 50% mix of both and his own custom normal. He would also work fine with a normal of one of the original sculpts or the extremes use the averaged normal map of the guy in the middle, ...if someone wants to save memory.
    Morphing between those two extremes already gives lots of very unique variations and is easier and faster than getting those shapes with sliders.
    They would be perfect to differ those 3 .(or all in-betweens you want to create) even more, by setting a limit on how much different parts should vary, when a crowds are created.

The system could also be used as a fix overlay to a certain percentage, to give all characters a unique style or define a race.
    The morph target would work as a cage, that deforms all characters. The slider could vary those but the morph on top of it, describes them as something like comic superheros with huge jaws, small heads and long legs.
    It might not be the best example, but you could easily create an alien race, by blending something extreme in those variations, without already maxin out the possibilities of the sliders, when they were meant to vary from a zero point +/-
    The left one of both clones received 25% angry ork

I've did this example in 3dsMax with the morph modifier. Since everything I sculpt, is based on the original mudbox mesh, I can morph everything into everything because the meshes are having the same Vertex ID. I guess thats what you've called "mesh data".
    This could also be done, with your basemesh. There would not be any need to chance topology. If its a nice basemesh, it could be used for everything from toons to werewolfs etc...
    The morph modifier of 3dsMax wouldn't recognize the target, if something was changed.

sorry for my lack of good english. I'm a tiny bit drunk :)

cheers
    Florian

36. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

HI ! :D

Yeah. The hand needs some tweaks and loops. If you just would share ...give me the mesh :) There are a couple of things, that could be tweaked but drawing over it, looks very confusing. Even to me. I would just use it, to post suggestions. I'm aware, that it's WIP and cant be used for anything project related.
    When this is going to be the mesh, someone will sculpt on, its important to see how it tesselates.

37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

...and I hope he don't get all my critique wrong :D -> No way! =D I´m very excited that people are giving feedback here. And I sincerely understand what you´re saying here. What I´m doing started with some tests very similar to the morph strategy you´re following.

I have zero animation skills and would love to start with a mechanim prepared character.-> 100% mechanim prepared character, that´s for sure, btw, Mecanim is amazing : )))

Thats really a worst case but things like that are happening in every sculpt, on every character, everywhere simply because the mesh is not only moved along its normal -> That happens a lot specially if you use "move brush" or something similar, because it´s moving both the high subdiv and also the lowest one in natural consequence, and when baking that change, you receive almost no offset, because relative position of vertices would stay close.
    Usually you avoid that projecting the basemesh (big headache) or perceiving the final position of volumes from start, avoiding changing those moving the vertices up and down (not sure I made myself clear, a video can explain this better).

Some character designs might be that extreme, that users would wish for a slider that increases boobs up to 250% ...but it only goes up to 100 -> that´s the beauty of this, sliders are normalized, so developers can define that it get´s up to any value at all.

Hope to get more examples soon, maybe will be able to produce some extreme avatar examples to give an idea.

Again, thanks for the feedback! =D

38. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)

I´ve been playing around with a different topology test, but not sure if it will get a better result at all.

To be sincere, not sure when It will be possible to give acess to base mesh or parts of it. As soon I know, I´ll let you all know.

39. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Well... I don't get you to implement custom morphs, do I ? :D

(not sure I made myself clear, a video can explain this better)...I understand exactly what you mean but even if you can avoid it (more or less) its extremly weird for content creators to sculpt and design characters, on such a tiny level, that it doesn't influence the base mesh (much) and trust in the possibilities of sliders (later)
    I'm sure that working with those can lead to extreme avatars but since this is not a open beta, its hard to predict if its close, to what I need.

If you are already thinking about to branch the basemesh to toonish / werewolf etc, it would get hard to create so many props for them, that devs would jump on the system. When people are planing to integrate a werewolf race in their rpg, they would have to make sure, that there are already enough props and clothes out there, that fits the polycount, style and quality.
    There is no need to branch it, if custom morphs would be possible. Just sayin... :D ...as long as its not too late :D

"What I´m doing started with some tests very similar to the morph strategy you´re following."
    Don't get me wrong. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. What you are doing is perfectly awesome and there's nothing that should be changed.
    I just want the possibilty to add a custom morph, of your basemesh, thats keeping all the mesh data you need, to implement it as a slider. Just like the morph modifier in 3dsMax or vertex layer in Mudbox

How exactly are your morphs done ? Wouldn't it be possible to edit that data ?

40. ecurtz

ecurtz

I must be missing something, because I don't understand how you could generate that foot with a normal map. Does it still bend at the ankle, or would it happen down at the position of his right, unmodified ankle?

41. cynel

cynel

i like the idea of using mecanim after all im working on a Turn based RPG so i can reuse the same animation on a palette swaped enemy model

42. janpec

janpec

Florian its nice to have your help on this amazing system, those are some nice suggestions from your side.

As for creatures for morphing base i dont see any problem with too many things for props or clothes. You should take in account that there could be many users artists who would love to purchase system like that only for base character, clothes can still be made by themselves. Having high range of base meshes is not any obstracle for for Asset store sellers of clothes and props, its just an additional option for what (race) you might develop or not.

43. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Oh, that´s really amazing being able to use any animation and changing body shape in real time :)
    Hope to be able to upload a newer video with more stuff soon

44. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Oh, as this solution will be free and open, it´s aways possible to create your own variations anyway. :)
    The only limitation here, as you said, is that it´s gonna be necessary to produce your own content too. Well, not too diferent from what would normally be needed if you started from zero.

45. GameDevGirl

GameDevGirl

Thumbs up!

First of all, I wish people would stop bitching about the characters being "NAKED". It is unreasonable and ridiculous. No need to slow down your creative process with unnecessary work such as adding black squares to shreenshots and videos.

I think this will be great and I am looking forward to more feeds.. on clothing especially.

The concern about very pronounced normal maps was well stated and answered so I don't have anything to add either.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Female base model too.

Cheers!

46. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Good point GameDevGirl ! I was wondering about that too.
    Since there are no details in the geometry, that somebody could offend, it would probably be forum-safe just to delete the nipples in the texture.
    I'm preparing a next gen dong pack anyway :)

47. cynel

cynel

whats the progress so far?

48. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This means multiple races :) The middle one just ate two soldiers :p
    Sculpted the upper area just to gen an idea of possible variations.
    Mecanim is working on those as well.

49. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi Fernando!

This all looks amazing!! Is it safe to say we won't see this in the asset store until Summer/Fall??

The reason I ask is because I'd like to use this in my project but if it isn't available till then, I'd have to use another option. Either way, keep up the GREAT work!

50. janpec

janpec

Yes aliens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.