Unity Community

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lightbulb procedural character generation

(07/24/2013)

Hi there guys! Please take a look and give me feedback about UMA beta test website. =D

http://fernandoribeirogames.wix.com/umabeta

Download links are not set. Ill update pack in following hours.

(07/06/2013)

The beta starts today.
    As Ive been rewritting most of the code those last weeks, I fell like it would be fair to bring this beta for everyone, so with no more delays, here we go! Download link -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...k.unitypackage

There are still some known bugs, and some features wont be available right away, but Ill keep updating the project and list the changes.

Im also recording videos explaining how UMA works as the final documentation will be available closer to the final release.

The raw files will be included with time, but keep in mind there are many changes being done. This means topology, rig and skin might change, so its not adviced to start producing final content yet.

The same also applies for code. This is WIP, so its not recommended including UMA directly into a project under development.

Until I get a webpage to center content for Beta, let me list the known bugs/limitations here:

- Mixing slots that uses different shaders mess with UV calculation. Until correcting this, its recommended to add all slots sharing the same shader in sequence.
    - overlay rect generates different behavion on Indie and PRO. Until then, overlays might need to keep the same size as base textures.
    - White border on female hair 02 without using atlas sharing will be handled with a proper alpha channel.
    - Atlas is not optimized and might not bring most efficient solution.
    - UMA serialization will be rewritten considering the adjusts Ill handle this next week. Any multiplayer/mmo dev planning sharing data between client and server, please keep an eye on umaPack() that will be included.
    - UMA still only works when the game is running and resulting UMA still cant saved. This will be handled together with serialization.

Below is youtube playlist for UMA videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...WUxnt7fur0kQbp

Cheers!

(07/02/2013)
    Ok guys, time for some big news =)

Ive just finished rewritting the atlas solution + overlay calculation and would like to share a bit of how it works with you. With this, we are very close to beta

As you can see on below image, we have two female avatars and their diffuse atlas. All color from skin/clothes is calculated, the same applies for normal maps, specular data and any extra textures (I still need to handle adjust per overlay).

One nice strategy that Ive been playing with for saving texture area is using the overlay technique even on extra 3d meshes. You can identify on second female that her jeans is being overlayed, while the shirt isnt. This is specially powerful to reduce memory usage and even to get a better transition between the content and base mesh. Ive kept the shirt as a separated atlas section to bring a better contrast on the two possibilities.
    You can also notice the same applies for hair on both of them

Im using Jukka Jylnki's algorithm http://clb.demon.fi/projects/more-rectangle-bin-packing for Texture atlasing, ported to c# by forum member @mudloop http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/130...exture-Atlases.

Hope you guys like the update

New webPlayer from @UnLogick (06/30/2013)

WebPlayer Link -> http://glscene.com/unity/CharacterCu...UMA_Japan.html

Updated WebPlayer (06/27/2013)
    @UnLogick Post:

I've worked closely together with Fernando to create this webplayer. It contains the main features I really wanted to see from the system.

Customizing the shape
    Customizing the colors
    Adding props overlays and meshes
    Lightning fast reaction to changes!
    1 Draw call for the entire character! All changes are baked to the atlas.

WebPlayer link ---- > http://glscene.com/unity/CharacterCu...WebPlayer.html

You can rotate the camera by dragging the mouse while holding right mouse down, if you don't have a right mouse button you can use left mouse button together with CTRL or COMMAND. On windows you'll see a texture bug while resizing, this is because under directx render textures becomes corrupt when the device is lost, to avoid that issue you can convert the render texture to a Texture2D, it takes a bit more time but then you don't see that flicker.

After being able to present this webplayer I think its fair to call it beta ready. But as I said variable renames will cause you to loose all data. So enjoy the webplayer while you wait.

Word of warning I managed to crash Chrome with it, so I instantly pressed the Submit crash report. Please, please. pretty please... if you too manage to crash your browser with this beta webplayer do submit the crash report I will be looking at it personally.

Updated Video (06/06/2013)

Updated images (04/12/2013)
    (Right click to get high resolution image)

High poly female sculpt.

Real time female head, using skin shader.

Updated images (02/15/2013)

Some tests of cloth and shape variation. This cloth piece was a fast test, you can expect better quality content on final version.

(Right click to get high resolution image)

HighPoly version:

Testing variation of texture resolution, 4 different resolution combinations.

Each of those guys generates only one draw call. Of course adding lights / shadows adds more drawcalls.

Updated images (01/12/2013)
    (Right click on images to get full resolution version)

human zbuilder normal maps used on prototype.

Updated news (12/11/2012)
    Im working with the asset store team to bring a more complete avatar system.
    For now, theres not much more I can tell, but im very happy with how this solution is evolving! =D

Warning: Webplayer contains nudity

Webplayer link -> http://huika.com.br/eve (old demo, not updated)

First video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGOxHTAIX-w

Second Video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E400OVxBjT0

Hi there!
    Im developing a procedural character generation solution, and would like to show what Ive reached so far.
    Right now Im working on clothes and hair / facial hair.
    Im still working with only one male/female normal map variantion. When I generate more of them, it will be possible to get more character variations, the same apply to skin color and other important elements.
    For now, theres only one LOD, but Im also considering the generation of mesh complexity variations (this one is ~2500 vertices).
    I would love to test if my solution works well together with Mecanim and directx11 hair, Im just waiting to have acess to the trial
    Ive been working on this for about 2 months now on my free time and both art and programming are done entirely by me.
    All textures are generated at 4096x4096 for extreme quality and flexibility, and reduced for this webplayer demo.

Please, fell free to ask me questions and give me some ideas =D

The webplayer tech demo generates 25 random characters each time the player is loaded, and the one in center can be edited using the sliders.
    All GUI is just placeholder
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by FernandoRibeiro; 07-24-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: UMA betatest

2. Location
    Illinois
    add some clothes man, a warning or sometin'
    Leader Of Team Nocks

Have You Seen A Unity Video/Game/Picture That's Looks Amazing, Show The Rest Of Us:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/194...al-Showcase!!!

3. Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by tylernocks View Post
    Clothes are for the weak!
    A programmer is someone who is so irritated by small inconveniences that they will spend weeks writing a script, so they can spend days debugging same script, so they can save five minutes of their time, which they will waste reading slashdot.

4. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Render of two High poly models that generated the normal maps:

5. Location
    Hannover
    this looks exellent (and i don't only mean the models )

6. Posts
    Very cool function.
    One thing I really reacted to though was the extremely pronounced normal map.
    Sure one might want a zero body fat character now and then but as you have the same normal map for all ranges of the bodymass slider you should make it much less defined. Or make it scale between two different normal maps depending on bodymass.

7. Location
    Australia
    Hey this looks like excellent work. I like the aesthetics and definition on these characters - and with lots of detail. You probably are aware of the make human project for generating procedural humans. Took them many years I think to achieve good aesthetic results - their aims are ambitious though. For mecanim compatibility I guess you should follow the Motion Builder skeletal standards which are quite flexible. You can go with a fairly simple skeletal , with mit hands, up to ones with spine chain, full digits toes/fingers, roll bones, hand mid bones etc .. then there are character extensions .. not sure if mechanim is going to support those.

Also I think a good reference for skeletal / motion considerations might be the 'parkour' guy in the latest beta. He seems to have great form and skeletal setup / binding for realistic human motion.

Quite humerous how you've chosen a certain stage of 'feminine' to cover up the nipples.

8. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by tylernocks View Post
    Lol

Looks nice : )
    Current game: Age of Settlement

9. Location
    France
    OMG ! They want to kill me in my sleep!

Next Gen Voxel Terrain : TerrainEngine : MC

Cubic Voxel Terrain : TerrainEngine : Cubic

Hexagonal Voxel Terrain : TerrainEngine : Hexa

Voxel Construction Kit : TerrainEngine : Hexa

Mmorpg on facebook : Sims MMO

10. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpfsack View Post
    this looks exellent (and i don't only mean the models )
    Thanks a lot =D
    It's just the beginning

11. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppel View Post
    Very cool function.
    One thing I really reacted to though was the extremely pronounced normal map.
    Sure one might want a zero body fat character now and then but as you have the same normal map for all ranges of the bodymass slider you should make it much less defined. Or make it scale between two different normal maps depending on bodymass.
    I completely agree with you, thats why I'll generate a LOT of normal map variations.
    For now, I'm not considering transition between normal maps, but it's also something I probably will test in the future.

12. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by KristianDoyle View Post
    Hey this looks like excellent work. I like the aesthetics and definition on these characters - and with lots of detail. You probably are aware of the make human project for generating procedural humans. Took them many years I think to achieve good aesthetic results - their aims are ambitious though. For mecanim compatibility I guess you should follow the Motion Builder skeletal standards which are quite flexible. You can go with a fairly simple skeletal , with mit hands, up to ones with spine chain, full digits toes/fingers, roll bones, hand mid bones etc .. then there are character extensions .. not sure if mechanim is going to support those.

Also I think a good reference for skeletal / motion considerations might be the 'parkour' guy in the latest beta. He seems to have great form and skeletal setup / binding for realistic human motion.

Quite humerous how you've chosen a certain stage of 'feminine' to cover up the nipples.
    Hi there!
    Make human was one of my biggest inspirations, followed by the mmo character creation systems.
    In my case, I've been working on this project for 2 months now, solo, on my free time. Developing this to realtime and crowd simulation is the big challenge.

About Mecanim, as soon as the trial version is available, I'll test it! Having all characters in combination with all possible motions is a very powerfull resource for game developers! =D

13. Posts
    excellent work, looking forward to seeing how this ends up
    [TUTORIALS] Beyond Beginner Topics in Unity:

Founder of coAdjoint, producer of adaptive A.I. software and the most advanced skill modelling solution in gaming

www.coadjoint.co.uk

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tom_coAdjoint
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/coAdjoint
    Video blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/coAdjointTom

Open to all feedback

14. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by coAdjoint View Post
    excellent work, looking forward to seeing how this ends up
    Wow! Thanks a lot! It's great to hear this coming from you guys! : ))

15. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by dyox View Post
    OMG ! They want to kill me in my sleep!

As soon I've implemented their staring eyes, my nightmares began lol

16. Super Moderator
    Man thats looking awesome. Same comments as everyone else more normal maps. But how come the character get female breasts as soon as you touch the gender slider?

What I wouldn't give to have something like this in our mmo. Well I'd need a fantasy variation pack on top, so that might be a long shot. And for mmo I'd need low poly. But its nice to see someone working on this.

So what are your plans on pricing and stuff?

17. Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by UnLogick View Post
    Man thats looking awesome. Same comments as everyone else more normal maps. But how come the character get female breasts as soon as you touch the gender slider?

What I wouldn't give to have something like this in our mmo. Well I'd need a fantasy variation pack on top, so that might be a long shot. And for mmo I'd need low poly. But its nice to see someone working on this.

So what are your plans on pricing and stuff?
    Hi there!
    Thanks a lot for the nice words =D
    In fact, Gender won't be a slider in the future, just male or female.
    I'm working on a flexible solution, so that we can have medieval games and even futuristic ones
    Considering multiplayer, I've already implemented everything so far planning how to reproduce the same char setup in all necessary client machines. That's in fact the easy part. What will probably bring me headaches is memory management when we have a lot of content.

About pricing, I have no idea by now, but I'm not expecting to get rich lol

18. Super Moderator
    I wouldn't think memory management would be your headache... more like mine. Obviously each model takes up some resources. What's important is that we can ask you to generate a lower ql model and tell Unity to release the old model. I would expect you to have like a struct containing all the character settings, thats the one you need to pass over the network. And then a struct with quality settings like triangles (low, medium, high), texture size, normalmap size, etc. Alternately you could add shaders and do a blend between a few reference textures. That would suit my mmo well, but might limit the flexibility to use custom shaders.

I wouldn't mind hacking a blend shader with a subsurface shader to get the effect I wanted, but I guess most people would hesitate before doing that.

19. Community Manager

This is some seriously impressive stuff, I can't wait to see clothes and hair added!

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast